no financial support from parents with student finance or uni

Watch
msxhes
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i’m in year 13 and about to submit my application to go to uni from 2022, but i’m only eligible for a £4k maintenance loan (which barely covers my cost of living and accom for 4 months) and my parents have said that they can’t help me with paying for my living costs because it’s “a waste of money” when i could commute an hour from home instead. even though they earn in excess of 100k a year and have been paying for independent schooling for me. but i don’t want to do commute. i want to get the full uni experience, make friends and learn to be independent. if i stay with my parents, they’ll control what i do and i’ll never learn how to do things on my own (they’re strict asian parents). is there anything i could apply for/do to be able to afford my living costs at uni? i’m fine with getting a job once i’m there but i don’t want my work to suffer too much as a consequence. my school hasn’t helped me out at all, in fact they’ve sided with my parents after i requested they speak to them. any advice would be appreciated!
Last edited by msxhes; 3 weeks ago
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by msxhes)
i’m in year 13 and about to submit my application to go to uni from 2022, but i’m only eligible for a £4k maintenance loan (which barely covers my cost of living and accom for 4 months) and my parents have said that they can’t help me with paying for my living costs because it’s “a waste of money” when i could commute an hour from home instead. even though they earn in excess of 100k a year and have been paying for independent schooling for me. but i don’t want to do commute. i want to get the full uni experience, make friends and learn to be independent. if i stay with my parents, they’ll control what i do and i’ll never learn how to do things on my own (they’re strict asian parents). is there anything i could apply for/do to be able to afford my living costs at uni? i’m fine with getting a job once i’m there but i don’t want my work to suffer too much as a consequence. my school hasn’t helped me out at all, in fact they’ve sided with my parents after i requested they speak to them. any advice would be appreciated!
Hi, I hope you are well.

Have you tried contacting the Student Loans Company and explaining your situation? They might be able to see what they can do.

Have you also looked into any possible grants that might be offered to you by universities? These can be extremely helpful and is worth a research.

Hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson College Student Ambassador
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Get a job over the summer or even now - maybe take a gap year.

Why can't they at least give you the money they will save on food/water/etc if you are not at home. You being at home costs them!

SFE can't help as the Government expects parents to support their children.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pearson Business School Rep)
Hi, I hope you are well.

Have you tried contacting the Student Loans Company and explaining your situation? They might be able to see what they can do.

Have you also looked into any possible grants that might be offered to you by universities? These can be extremely helpful and is worth a research.

Hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson College Student Ambassador
Grants won't help someone whose parents are wealthy and why should they?
flamingolover
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
What area are you in? Lots of areas have funds where they give students money (my one is between £500-1000). Your uni might have bursaries/financial support. If you are a vegetarian/vegan there is a vegetarian grant if you can show your dedication to not eating meat. Have a google for grants you might be eligible for. My sister got a grant from her uni jsut because she was the first person in our family to go to uni. There are options
Last edited by flamingolover; 3 weeks ago
skylark2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately there is no way to get a larger student grant/loan just because your parents won't support you - if there was, everyone's parents would simply refuse to support them.

Your first option may be to discuss with your parents how you will need to put off going to university since you won't have enough money to live on, and whether it will be better to apply now for deferred entry or to apply next year while working. If you're lucky, they will miraculously decide that it's not such a waste of money after all once they realise you're serious about commuting not being an option for you.
Nobody2u
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by skylark2)
Unfortunately there is no way to get a larger student grant/loan just because your parents won't support you - if there was, everyone's parents would simply refuse to support them.

Your first option may be to discuss with your parents how you will need to put off going to university since you won't have enough money to live on, and whether it will be better to apply now for deferred entry or to apply next year while working. If you're lucky, they will miraculously decide that it's not such a waste of money after all once they realise you're serious about commuting not being an option for you.
And if this doesn't work tell them that not only will you be taking a year out but you will also be changing your choice of uni to one much further away because the cost of living and accomodation is much cheaper. So either they agree to contribute to financing you at a Uni where it will be possible for you to return home on odd weekends from time to time, or they accept that you are effectively moving out for good!
msxhes
Rep:
(Original post by flamingolover)
What area are you in? Lots of areas have funds where they give students money (my one is between £500-1000). Your uni might have bursaries/financial support. If you are a vegetarian/vegan there is a vegetarian grant if you can show your dedication to not eating meat. Have a google for grants you might be eligible for. My sister got a grant from her uni jsut because she was the first person in our family to go to uni. There are options
hi, thank you - i’m in the north london area, i’ve checked the hyperlink on the government’s student finance page for grants in my area but can’t find any that apply to me. i might call universities and ask if they have grants in place for students who can’t afford living costs, from your knowledge is that something they do often?
msxhes
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)

hi, thanks - ive done lots of arguing and convincing and talking but nothing has helped. i even got my school involved, which backfired. right now my plan is to apply to maybe two/three out of london and if i get offers from them (provided i meet the offer requirements in the summer) i’ll tell my parents that i’m leaving. it’s only the financing i’m worried about, i’ve accepted that they won’t be giving me any money or support.
Shimmeringorbs
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hi, thanks - ive done lots of arguing and convincing and talking but nothing has helped. i even got my school involved, which backfired. right now my plan is to apply to maybe two/three out of london and if i get offers from them (provided i meet the offer requirements in the summer) i’ll tell my parents that i’m leaving. it’s only the financing i’m worried about, i’ve accepted that they won’t be giving me any money or support.
What you do is you get a job like so many other uni students do. Even 16 hours a week could make up the difference. Your parents won't support you and that's unfortunate, but the student loans company won't just give you more money because you and your school think they should. This is life, especially the life of a great number of students who have a job. Student life for most people isn't just studying.
Last edited by Shimmeringorbs; 3 weeks ago
msxhes
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Get a job over the summer or even now - maybe take a gap year.

Why can't they at least give you the money they will save on food/water/etc if you are not at home. You being at home costs them!

SFE can't help as the Government expects parents to support their children.
i think to my knowledge (if i’ve calculated it right) i’ll need an extra 4k for the academic year on top of the maintenance loan i’m being offered to pay for living costs. if i get a part time job once i’m at uni, maybe work through the holidays, etc. is earning that much doable?
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
That's frustrating for you, but it's not unusual for students to find themselves in this position. It's pretty tricky to retain all the same support from parents without giving them any control. The fact that your parents are offering to let you stay at home means you don't have much of a leg to stand on in terms of going for grants for financial hardship.
Realistically, it looks like you will need to get a part time or holiday job to start saving money and then continue with some work through uni. It's not ideal, but loads of student do it otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford the freedoms they want.
msxhes
Rep:
(Original post by Shimmeringorbs)
What you do is you get a job like so many other uni students do. Even 16 hours a week could make up the difference. Your parents won't support you and that's unfortunate, but the student loans company won't just give you more money because you and your school think you should. This is life, especially the life of a great number of students who have a job. Student life for most people isn't just studying.
i agree, i’ve been doing the maths recently and i should be able to work part time and make what i need. i just need to find out how to make myself seem employable so i find work easily once i’m there. thanks!
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
i think to my knowledge (if i’ve calculated it right) i’ll need an extra 4k for the academic year on top of the maintenance loan i’m being offered to pay for living costs. if i get a part time job once i’m at uni, maybe work through the holidays, etc. is earning that much doable?
Yes, that's what many students do.
msxhes
Rep:
(Original post by L-K)
That's frustrating for you, but it's not unusual for students to find themselves in this position. It's pretty tricky to retain all the same support from parents without giving them any control. The fact that your parents are offering to let you stay at home means you don't have much of a leg to stand on in terms of going for grants for financial hardship.
Realistically, it looks like you will need to get a part time or holiday job to start saving money and then continue with some work through uni. It's not ideal, but loads of student do it otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford the freedoms they want.
i understand where you’re coming from, hopefully if i get offers from the universities i want, i can think about getting a job to supplement costs.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I find this really frustrating. The reason SFE gives you less money than someone with parents who earn less is because the expectation is that your parents will contribute to your maintenance. As you said, they have been paying for independent schooling so it's not as if they can't afford it. You're right, you need to move out in order to gain independence and make friends.
flamingolover
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hi, thank you - i’m in the north london area, i’ve checked the hyperlink on the government’s student finance page for grants in my area but can’t find any that apply to me. i might call universities and ask if they have grants in place for students who can’t afford living costs, from your knowledge is that something they do often?
It depends on each university. Most universities have grants but the requirements to be eligible for them changes depending on what uni it is
msxhes
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jpw1097)
I find this really frustrating. The reason SFE gives you less money than someone with parents who earn less is because the expectation is that your parents will contribute to your maintenance. As you said, they have been paying for independent schooling so it's not as if they can't afford it. You're right, you need to move out in order to gain independence and make friends.
so do i. their excuse is that i’d be getting myself into excess debt when i could commute an hour into the city every day, but realistically i’d rather pay for the uni experience even if i have to do it myself, than save money and be miserable and under my parents’ thumb.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads