ILikeChina87181
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm in yr11 and have the option to either take IB or A levels.
I wondering which one would be more difficult in the end.

If I do IB, it will just be the regular diploma.

But with A levels I would have to do 4 (you can drop one after yr12), plus an EPQ, and I think AS general studies.
They will also force us to do community service either way, but at least with IB, you can use it for CAS.

This makes me inclined to think that perhaps just taking IB would be better. Especially since my goal of study is mainly in the USA.

What makes me nervous is how hard the SL subjects in IB are.
Is it as hard as an AS? Or more like a slightly harder GCSE?

I'm mainly a STEM student and doing IB would force me to do english lit, which I'm slightly afraid of.
So is there a massive leap in difficulty like in A levels?

This is all stressing me out a bit, because I'm afraid of making the wrong decision with this.

Any information would be great!
Thanks for reading.
wenso
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I am currently in year 13 and I study the IB and it’s definitely a lot of work compared to a levels. I don't study STEM subjects at higher level, but subjects at SL are only extending from GCSE knowledge rather than being as hard as a level content so you don’t need to worry about that.

I do English Lit at HL and it’s so much better than GCSE english (i hated it at GCSE) but my friend does it at SL and it’s basically a similar workload to HL but you only study fewer texts and have one less coursework to do.

If you want to study in America, then I would say IB is the better option as the process is less longer and not as complicated as doing A levels.

However, I think you should maybe research more about the IB before making a decision. I’m happy to answer any questions you have about the IB though!
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
My reply is slightly biased because I don't live in the U.K and my children did the French bac option International English, the latter part being overseen by Cambridge who in their documentation say it's the equivalent of 5 A levels. Children who were having difficulty moved over to the IB program, not because each subject was easier but just because they study a couple less. BUT to do well in either of these systems you have to be good across the board. A weakness in one subject even if you don't want to study it at University can cost you your place. For example Glasgow refuse to consider Vet med students with any grade under 14/20 even if it's sport. For the English option International in the French bac, Cambridge said it was the equivalent of an A level so I imagine the IB would be the same in the quality of work it requires, even if the quantity of novels, poems and pieces of theatre studied is probably lower. So if you're worried that the language side might let you down and you want to study a STEM subject I'd stay with A level.
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Id say if you wanted to do a stem subject might as well stick to A levels as IB wont give u any real benefit over 4 A levels and an EPQ. I do 4 A levels in maths fm physics cs and an EPQ and im almost certain I wouldn't be doing as good if I was doing english lit, a language and another essay based subject that I would have to do for the IB.
ILikeChina87181
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 hours ago
Ok, thanks for your replies.
I think that you're right that I would do better focusing on what I'm good at which is STEM subjects.
I think IB would be better if you were more well rounded, don't know what you want to do, and don't mind doing humanities.
After self-reflection, I am none of these things.
I wouldn't mind doing a language and maybe philosophy, but I really hate English.
Thanks for helping me with that decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.94%
Okay (68)
28.94%
A bit lacking (88)
37.45%
Not good at all (58)
24.68%

Watched Threads