The Student Room Group

Is there a lot of maths involved in Diagnostic Radiography?

Hi! I'm thinking about applying to diagnostic Radiography for uni but I'm not confident in my maths. Is there a lot of maths involved in the course and in the job itself? Will o have to do a lot of mental calculations?
Original post by Pandalovesfood
Hi! I'm thinking about applying to diagnostic Radiography for uni but I'm not confident in my maths. Is there a lot of maths involved in the course and in the job itself? Will o have to do a lot of mental calculations?

To get onto a diagnostic radiography degree course you usually need: two or three A levels, including physics, chemistry or biology/human biology, along with five GCSEs (grades A-C), including English language, maths and science.

As the entry requirements states maths then you'll need this but do check your chosen universities for there own entry requirements as each one has it own requirements okay.

As a diagnostic radiography you sometimes have to inject dyes into patients so that certain things can be shown better on xrays etc and you need to know how to calculate how much individual patient needing. You'll be taught all this as part of the course.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Allyson2020

Does radiography involve a lot of math........
like all physicians, radiologists have to deal with mathematical processes during their everyday practices. Deciding on the post-test disease probability after radiological tests requires certain probability calculations.

A radiologist is a doctor. OP is asking about being a radiographer so this is irrelevant to them. At least copy the the right information if you are going to be copying and pasting from google.
Reply 3
There is not a lot of maths involved in radiography, no.
Original post by FXX
There is not a lot of maths involved in radiography, no.

I got a grade 5 for GCSE maths. Is that okay for diagnostic radiography? Also, would it better for me to do diagnostic Radiography with a foundation year if I think I will struggle with maths?
Original post by black tea
A radiologist is a doctor. OP is asking about being a radiographer so this is irrelevant to them. At least copy the the right information if you are going to be copying and pasting from google.

I got a grade 5 for GCSE maths. Is that okay for diagnostic radiography? Also, would it better for me to do diagnostic Radiography with a foundation year if I think I will struggle with maths?
Original post by Allyson2020
To get onto a diagnostic radiography degree course you usually need: two or three A levels, including physics, chemistry or biology/human biology, along with five GCSEs (grades A-C), including English language, maths and science.

As the entry requirements states maths then you'll need this but do check your chosen universities for there own entry requirements as each one has it own requirements okay.

As a diagnostic radiography you sometimes have to inject dyes into patients so that certain things can be shown better on xrays etc and you need to know how to calculate how much individual patient needing. You'll be taught all this as part of the course.

Reply 7

I'm too old to know what grade 5 means, but trust me, maths isn't that important.

You would have to check out the entry requirements, I'm not sure. I'm not a radiographer so I have no idea how much maths you need, but from my understanding of what they do, I don't think there is a huge amount of maths involved.

Hi

I would try and speak with the universities about your options on this as you probably best to check out what the universities requirements are first and then decide whether or not you best doing a foundation year first then go onto university for next 3 years.
There is some maths involved but not too much and it’s not that hard tbh. It’s more to do with memorisation, knowing how to work something out and the exams are pretty much easy. Also maths doesn’t make up a big chunk so even if you were to do as well in the exam you can make up for it in other modules/ coursework

Quick Reply

Latest