The Student Room Group

Private candidate and practical endorsement

Hey, I'm planning to take biochemistry or medicine at university but I'm a private candidate and I dont know what to do about the practical endorsement. I know unis want it but I dont know how I can do it.

Any advice? Can I still enroll without it? Where can I do it at a cheap price at least?
Reply 1
Original post by Idontknow1099
Hey, I'm planning to take biochemistry or medicine at university but I'm a private candidate and I dont know what to do about the practical endorsement. I know unis want it but I dont know how I can do it.

Any advice? Can I still enroll without it? Where can I do it at a cheap price at least?

I do A-Level Physics as a private candidate and am having to pay around £1000 for the practical endorsement at BioGrad. Maybe you could find cheaper depending on your area though. Ask local colleges or any you have previously gone to, they might be able to do it cheaper or just look around.

I'm pretty sure the practical endorsement itself is a separate part of the qualification and you can take the exams without it but whether you should do that is completely dependant on whether your university requires it. I would check their websites and phone them up if you can but for a science-related degree, I'd imagine it would be required by most universities.
Original post by Kalon078
I do A-Level Physics as a private candidate and am having to pay around £1000 for the practical endorsement at BioGrad. Maybe you could find cheaper depending on your area though. Ask local colleges or any you have previously gone to, they might be able to do it cheaper or just look around.

I'm pretty sure the practical endorsement itself is a separate part of the qualification and you can take the exams without it but whether you should do that is completely dependant on whether your university requires it. I would check their websites and phone them up if you can but for a science-related degree, I'd imagine it would be required by most universities.

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to contact unis
Good luck with a level physics :smile:

Hello, I took a levels privately for medicine and didn’t have to take the practicals. Have a look at the course webpages for the specific unis you’re interested in as not all require the practicals. Also, kings has specifically stated on their website that while the practicals are required, private candidates are exempt for this year. You’ll have plenty of options without paying for practicals for medicine, biochem may be a bit more strict but do check individual course pages x
(edited 2 years ago)

CIE is the answer.
Original post by Chi chi5
Hello, I took a levels privately for medicine and didn’t have to take the practicals. Have a look at the course webpages for the specific unis you’re interested in as not all require the practicals for medicine at least. Can’t speak on biochem. Also, kings has specifically stated on their website that while the practicals are required, private candidates are exempt for this year. You’ll have plenty of options without paying for practicals for medicine, biochem may be a bit more strict but do check individual course pages x

Thats amazing congratulations! What university did you get into?
Medicine is my first choice to be honest:smile:
Also in terms of Kings, does that exemption only apply for only this year?
I'll look out for unis, thank you so much x
Thats amazing congratulations! What university did you get into?
Medicine is my first choice to be honest:smile:
Also in terms of Kings, does that exemption only apply for only this year?
I'll look out for unis, thank you so much x

Sorry let me clarify, I’ve taken a levels to apply for medicine. Waiting on interview calls now fingers crossed. Thank you though x

Not sure if the exemption will remain for private candidates taking a levels in 2022, my guess is it will depend on the pandemic situation. A list of unis that I considered that don’t require practicals are SGUL, Kings for this year at least, Bristol, Plymouth, Glasgow, and Manchester if you wanted a start :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest