Pursue PGDE (Computing) after third year, or stay on for honours year first?

Watch
mrksmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all. Hope you are all doing well.

I am currently in the third year of my Ethical Hacking degree at Abertay University in Dundee. I am extremely keen on pursuing a career in secondary school teaching, and I am looking for some advice. Should I go straight for the PGDE course when I finish third year (where I will obtain a standard degree), or would it be beneficial for me to complete my full 4 years of undergraduate studies so I can obtain my honours first?

The current requirements for a computing PGDE is a relevant degree (not honours specific).

Are there any pros/cons of pursuing a PGDE straight after 3rd year? Will I have a better chance of being employed as a teacher if I have an honours degree? As someone with a normal degree, will I be able to progress through the teaching ranks as easily as someone with an honours degree?

These are the kind of questions I am looking to be answered. Any and all advice would be immensely appreciated!

PS - To help bolster my application, I am already volunteering in secondary schools and working towards obtaining my L1 Google Educator certification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads