The Student Room Group

Which lane should I have been in?

I was driving down this road today, coming from the bottom of the photo and taking the third exit which was practically straight on but was the third exit (the one marked A65) I placed myself in the left hand lane all around the roundabout as I was taught anything before 12 o’clock you go in the left hand lane on a roundabout.

However as I was leaving the roundabout a car which was in the inside lane cut across me and took the same exit? Who was in the wrong? If I was wrong then so be it as I was just going off what I’d been taught when learning to drive.

There was also no signs dictating what lane to get in.
(edited 2 years ago)
Big roundabout, 3rd exit, I'd probably be in the inside lane.
Depends on the road markings and signage. The 12 o’clock rule is more a rule of thumb.

Regardless whether you were in the correct lane or not, there is always the chance that if there’s more than one lane exiting, then someone may cut you up. It’s best to avoid being directly alongside where possible, as it won’t give you any space to manoeuvre.
Original post by Admit-One
Depends on the road markings and signage. The 12 o’clock rule is more a rule of thumb.

Regardless whether you were in the correct lane or not, there is always the chance that if there’s more than one lane exiting, then someone may cut you up. It’s best to avoid being directly alongside where possible, as it won’t give you any space to manoeuvre.

Exactly!
Reply 4
Original post by MikePL
I was driving down this road today, coming from the bottom of the photo and taking the third exit which was practically straight on but was the third exit (the one marked A65) I placed myself in the left hand lane all around the roundabout as I was taught anything before 12 o’clock you go in the left hand lane on a roundabout.

However as I was leaving the roundabout a car which was in the inside lane cut across me and took the same exit? Who was in the wrong? If I was wrong then so be it as I was just going off what I’d been taught when learning to drive.

There was also no signs dictating what lane to get in.

The lane you chose was fine on that particular roundabout
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

Sorry I forgot to mention that as well as there being no signage the road markings where extremely poor, there wasn’t actually any lanes indicating that there was two lanes going around the roundabout
Original post by MikePL
Sorry I forgot to mention that as well as there being no signage the road markings where extremely poor, there wasn’t actually any lanes indicating that there was two lanes going around the roundabout

Use discretion in situations such as these. If you're constantly observing other drivers and anticipating their movements, you can act appropriately. Personally I'd probably use lane 2 since you're passing 2 exits if you're in lane 1, but it depends on the circumstances.
Even if there were road markings and you were in the correct lane there will often be someone who just loves gaining one place in the traffic and will cut you up. We have a roundabout not far from home where it is clearly marked by HUGE signposts that to go straight on you should be in the inside lane, but every single day you'll get the smart Alec's accelerating in the outside lane and forcing the passage to exit the roundabout. You just have to have your eyes wide open!
Original post by Nobody2u
Even if there were road markings and you were in the correct lane there will often be someone who just loves gaining one place in the traffic and will cut you up. We have a roundabout not far from home where it is clearly marked by HUGE signposts that to go straight on you should be in the inside lane, but every single day you'll get the smart Alec's accelerating in the outside lane and forcing the passage to exit the roundabout. You just have to have your eyes wide open!

Yup. A nearby roundabout to me lets you use both lanes to take the third exit and the amount of people queuing to get into lane 2 on approach rather than use the completely empty lane 1 is maddening. And that’s before they cut you to ribbons on the exit.

Multi lane roundabouts are amongst the most hazardous road features and you really need to have very good awareness of what is going on around you, rather than just relying on being in the correct lane yourself.
Yup. A nearby roundabout to me lets you use both lanes to take the third exit and the amount of people queuing to get into lane 2 on approach rather than use the completely empty lane 1 is maddening. And that’s before they cut you to ribbons on the exit.

Multi lane roundabouts are amongst the most hazardous road features and you really need to have very good awareness of what is going on around you, rather than just relying on being in the correct lane yourself.

PRSOM 🙂
Reply 10
This appendix in the NI Highway Code suggests that you should stay in the left hand lane at the roundabout for a 12 o'clock exit, unless there were two lanes approaching the roundabout and you were in the right hand lane on approach. Obviously this wouldn't apply if lane markings indicated otherwise.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/appendix-roundabouts

Overall though, I agree with other posters who have indicated that you need to keep your wits about you and observe other road users. Even when the rules are straightforward, and arguably this one isn't, some drivers will break them either through ignorance or for their own convenience.

Not sure why this appendix is in the NI version of the highway code for guidance, but I couldn't see it in the GB version.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest