Anyone else got ADHD? Mental/brain disorder*rant*

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi Students!

So, I have ADHD…I always expected university to be difficult, that’s obvious but does anyone else feel like the education system is set up so. damn. hardcore for neurotypicals??? It’s so annoying!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not failing but I just wish that lecturers/staff would take things like ADHD into account. The story of my life is “if you’d just try harder…”, “why don’t you understand this yet?”, “you’re very bright but your not getting the correct answer/result”.
I go over and over my assignments, trying to find anything that I’ve over fixated on or done in a way that isn’t normal to a neurotypical person but this takes a lot of time and effort and somehow I still come across totally ‘ADHD’ which is always automatically ‘wrong’.
Even when tutors/lecturers/staff know you have ADHD, they always seem to forget or don’t get what it entails and say things or critique you in a way which is really frustrating or confusing to you…
To make matters worse, people with ADHD handle criticism badly and have a lot of rejection anxiety, so the more frustrated your tutor/lecturer/teacher becomes with you, the more you want to scream or run away.
Sitting in a lecture is literally the worst environment ever for an ADHD person, loads of other people and distractions, expected to focus for long periods of time and grasp the subject quickly… Meanwhile, the clock is LOUD, that person rapping their pen on the table is driving me CRAZY, that guy with the cough? Arghh! WHY.IS.IT.ALL.SO.LOUD??
If you say how your feeling, you get sent to the university counsellor for ‘depression’ but i’m not depressed, I have ADHD.
Are there any kindred spirits out there that relate to this or understand???
I am EXHAUSTED with people not ‘getting it’ or thinking it’s not real or just getting plain angry with you. I’m tired of trying so hard just to be always told that my best isn’t good enough!
My friend can scribble something in an hour, doesn’t even try and gets high marks but I take all evening trying not to be ADHD and get by with ‘try harder next time’ on every assignment.
… I wish people just understood how demoralising it is to never be good enough.
We just want to get good jobs and survive in this world too!! Yet we have no choice to go through an education system that makes us feel like we don’t belong there for our entire childhood and teens. It SUCKS so much. :’(
ksennnn
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Ritalin and an Extenuating Circumstances form have been lifesavers for me honestly ! Check what accommodations your uni can make - sometimes it is a hassle to get the paperwork sorted but it is so so so worth it!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ksennnn)
Ritalin and an Extenuating Circumstances form have been lifesavers for me honestly ! Check what accommodations your uni can make - sometimes it is a hassle to get the paperwork sorted but it is so so so worth it!!
Hi
Thanks for the advice!
Sadly I can’t take Ritalin, as i’m epileptic and it triggers me (i’m not even allowed coffee *cries*)
I’ve had so many chats with my uni seeking a solution, but really the best solution is stimulants, let’s be honest ><
I really JUST want to learn, I don’t care about partying or any of that other ‘uni stuff’, I just wish my ADHD didn’t dampen my flame all the while academically and my grade could reflect the work I put in. Unmedicated ADHD is basically like a filter that sucks away 50% of how well you do in life. You can still succeed, but you have to put in 100% EVERY time to get 50% and that’s what frustrates me so much because it’s so exhausting.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
hey could i ask how exactly u got a diagnosis.
im in university and think i have adhd. ive shown symotoms for like my whole life but have been noticing them for a year now and how its affecting me.
im not sure if you got diagnosed as a kid which would be different to getting diagnosed as an adult but im really confused in the process.
also how long did it take you to get a diagnosis.
ksennnn
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
im in university and think i have adhd. ive shown symotoms for like my whole life but have been noticing them for a year now and how its affecting me.
im not sure if you got diagnosed as a kid which would be different to getting diagnosed as an adult but im really confused in the process.
I had to go private, which is honestly quite expensive because I was doing well in school and my GP decided that meant I can’t do ADHD. There are other GPs that are more helpful though, so you could ask for a referral, it may also be helpful to come in with your own research and explain why you would like to get assessed.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ksennnn)
I had to go private, which is honestly quite expensive because I was doing well in school and my GP decided that meant I can’t do ADHD. There are other GPs that are more helpful though, so you could ask for a referral, it may also be helpful to come in with your own research and explain why you would like to get assessed.
hmm okay.
how old were you when you got diagnosed and how long did it take to get a formal diagnosis?
ksennnn
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
hmm okay.
how old were you when you got diagnosed and how long did it take to get a formal diagnosis?
I got diagnosed at 21 and it was a 2 hr long assessment, (I filled out some questionnaires before and also did some screens during the consultation). I think around 3/4 of the way through I was told that I definitely have ADHD based on everything I said, and I was put on Concerta, which I cannot even describe the feeling but my brain sort of felt like when you tune into the right radio station and there’s no like background static crackle anymore??
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree and relate with everything you just said. If you happen to have ADHD in this world, you are knocked down by at least 30 levels and if that's not already bad enough, you get everyone else who doesn't understand it mock you and **** on you most if not all the time. The education system is just flat out broken for ADHDers and neurodiverse people in general but because we are the minority, I guess it doesn't matter right? **** this world.
Lacrimosa1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't have ADHD but I have bad concentration. I wish I could concentrate
Anonymous #1
My diagnosis was made as an adult, it came to light as I was being investigated for epilepsy. Some of the symptoms that I thought might be because of epilepsy was actually because of ADHD. My dr suggested checking for ADHD and a few tests later, it had been confirmed. (As well as Epilepsy). This whole process has took around a year in total.
My best advice is to go to your dr, explain your symptoms and you should then be checked for ADHD, amongst other things which can cause the same symptoms.
I’ve had these symptoms my whole life but because i’m a girl I got overlooked as a child because i’m mostly inattentive.
Hope that helps!
username5429416
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Students!

So, I have ADHD…I always expected university to be difficult, that’s obvious but does anyone else feel like the education system is set up so. damn. hardcore for neurotypicals??? It’s so annoying!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not failing but I just wish that lecturers/staff would take things like ADHD into account. The story of my life is “if you’d just try harder…”, “why don’t you understand this yet?”, “you’re very bright but your not getting the correct answer/result”.
I go over and over my assignments, trying to find anything that I’ve over fixated on or done in a way that isn’t normal to a neurotypical person but this takes a lot of time and effort and somehow I still come across totally ‘ADHD’ which is always automatically ‘wrong’.
Even when tutors/lecturers/staff know you have ADHD, they always seem to forget or don’t get what it entails and say things or critique you in a way which is really frustrating or confusing to you…
To make matters worse, people with ADHD handle criticism badly and have a lot of rejection anxiety, so the more frustrated your tutor/lecturer/teacher becomes with you, the more you want to scream or run away.
Sitting in a lecture is literally the worst environment ever for an ADHD person, loads of other people and distractions, expected to focus for long periods of time and grasp the subject quickly… Meanwhile, the clock is LOUD, that person rapping their pen on the table is driving me CRAZY, that guy with the cough? Arghh! WHY.IS.IT.ALL.SO.LOUD??
If you say how your feeling, you get sent to the university counsellor for ‘depression’ but i’m not depressed, I have ADHD.
Are there any kindred spirits out there that relate to this or understand???
I am EXHAUSTED with people not ‘getting it’ or thinking it’s not real or just getting plain angry with you. I’m tired of trying so hard just to be always told that my best isn’t good enough!
My friend can scribble something in an hour, doesn’t even try and gets high marks but I take all evening trying not to be ADHD and get by with ‘try harder next time’ on every assignment.
… I wish people just understood how demoralising it is to never be good enough.
We just want to get good jobs and survive in this world too!! Yet we have no choice to go through an education system that makes us feel like we don’t belong there for our entire childhood and teens. It SUCKS so much. :’(
Damn sounds hard but sound alot like me too.is there any way i can find out if i have ADHD or not?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
I agree and relate with everything you just said. If you happen to have ADHD in this world, you are knocked down by at least 30 levels and if that's not already bad enough, you get everyone else who doesn't understand it mock you and **** on you most if not all the time. The education system is just flat out broken for ADHDers and neurodiverse people in general but because we are the minority, I guess it doesn't matter right? **** this world.
Omg yes!!! Someone else who gets how freaking annoying it all is!
Thankyou for replying and helping me to feel a little less alone in this world.
I made this rant post because I feel like there’s so little awareness for neuro diversity, mainly how it affects people academically. People only relate hyperactivity to ADHD, but in reality it is so much more than that. 😣
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
This so true I’ve tried to prove myself through the system and got my masters which felt like my lifetime achievement tbh but it’s so clear the system and corporate work life especially is horrific and nobody knows I have ADHD because they’ll make judgement and view me as less competent.

If I spend my life trying to hide and suppress it and perform on the outside despite my struggles, people take for granted that I succeeded at it. But if they knew I have ADHD they would look at my successes with less trust or faith
Anonymous #1
This so true I’ve tried to prove myself through the system and got my masters which felt like my lifetime achievement tbh but it’s so clear the system and corporate work life especially is horrific and nobody knows I have ADHD because they’ll make judgement and view me as less competent.

If I spend my life trying to hide and suppress it and perform on the outside despite my struggles, people take for granted that I succeeded at it. But if they knew I have ADHD they would look at my successes with less trust or faith
Yup… We literally cannot win! I absolutely hate telling people for the same reason which is why I chose to rant anonymously.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Yup… We literally cannot win! I absolutely hate telling people for the same reason which is why I chose to rant anonymously.
Ha yeah lol
If I tell my teachers or random people then they think I’m using it as an excuse or just using the ‘buzzword’ cause u know it’s more popular now and a lot of peoe say they have it when maybe they don’t and haven’t been assessed for it
Anonymous #1
I have replied to a similar question on this thread , its the one above your post ^^
Anonymous #1
Ha yeah lol
If I tell my teachers or random people then they think I’m using it as an excuse or just using the ‘buzzword’ cause u know it’s more popular now and a lot of peoe say they have it when maybe they don’t and haven’t been assessed for it
Oh my gosh, I know that feeling! A lot of the time, they’re just fakes using it as a buzzword or excuse to act a certain way. The reality for (real) sufferers is a lifetime trying to hide their symptoms, not flaunt them. 😢
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads