The Student Room Group

How to get an A up to an A*?

Predicted 3 As which I am extremely happy with, but I always want to aim as high as I can, so how would I go about getting A*s?
My subjects are English Lang and lit, govt and politics and law 🙂
Original post by IdkOklol
Predicted 3 As which I am extremely happy with, but I always want to aim as high as I can, so how would I go about getting A*s?
My subjects are English Lang and lit, govt and politics and law 🙂

Congratulations with your predictions. Remember that generally, predicted grades are seen as aspirational grades based upon your work done so far. So, with that in mind it might be a good idea to talk to your tutors and ask if there is anything that they have noticed about your work that could do with some tweaks or extra reading.

Looking at the subject content specification is a good idea too and I believe you can find these all online. It gives you a general idea of the expectations in exams. If your exam board is AQA then this link might be good for English language https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702

If your exams are this summer, due to covid, the exam season is going to be a little different than usual. We will be getting extra info in February to help with our revision with regards to the content we are expected to cover. This is a part of the government trying to ease the change between no exams ( which has been for the past two years) into exams but built around the recognition that there has been a lot of disruption.

Doing some past papers will also help you with your grades as they will help you recognise what you are good at, so that you can focus on the areas in the paper that you found most difficult. There should be some here in the A level subject page, and perhaps even look at the 'grow your grades' area too!

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AliceRoseGuy
Congratulations with your predictions. Remember that generally, predicted grades are seen as aspirational grades based upon your work done so far. So, with that in mind it might be a good idea to talk to your tutors and ask if there is anything that they have noticed about your work that could do with some tweaks or extra reading.

Looking at the subject content specification is a good idea too and I believe you can find these all online. It gives you a general idea of the expectations in exams. If your exam board is AQA then this link might be good for English language https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702

If your exams are this summer, due to covid, the exam season is going to be a little different than usual. We will be getting extra info in February to help with our revision with regards to the content we are expected to cover. This is a part of the government trying to ease the change between no exams ( which has been for the past two years) into exams but built around the recognition that there has been a lot of disruption.

Doing some past papers will also help you with your grades as they will help you recognise what you are good at, so that you can focus on the areas in the paper that you found most difficult. There should be some here in the A level subject page, and perhaps even look at the 'grow your grades' area too!

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

This was really helpful thank you! ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest