The Student Room Group

Advice for a BTEC student

Hi guys,

I’m stuck on a few options for university. So for a little background:

I didn’t perform exceptionally well according to my predicted grades at GCSE, nevertheless passing them all. (Because of extenuating issues which arose in Yr 10-11).

I had to take some time out of going to further education.

After this window of time I reapplied to college and had to apply to a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma.

My current situation:

During this time I have been studying mathematics and have finally been achieving A/A* on past papers.

I’m considering deferring a year of going to university to study the further mathematics course, and by the time I go to university I will be 21. I’m considering this if the option of applying with a competitive application to Oxford is possible.

Where I’m stuck:

I find myself trying to push myself away from my GCSE results as much as I can. I’m wondering if this time and money is really worth it? I’ve looked at the entry requirements for Lancaster and they want me to get DDD in my BTEC with no mention of a supplemental A Level. I feel as if my GCSE results will be detrimental to my application here without supplemented A Levels however and therefore I should just defer a year and give more time for both of my mathematical studies.

Expected Grades:

D*D*D*, if I take A Level mathematics I expect to achieve A*, and hopefully the same if I decide to take further mathematics.

Note: I want to study Computer Science at university, the BTEC is in IT. Also, I’m very much writing this after completing a 4,000 word assignment at 4 am, go easy on my grammar. Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jacobcp112
Hi guys,

I’m stuck on a few options for university. So for a little background:

I didn’t perform exceptionally well according to my predicted grades at GCSE, nevertheless passing them all. (Because of extenuating issues which arose in Yr 10-11).

I had to take some time out of going to further education.

After this window of time I reapplied to college and had to apply to a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma.

My current situation:

During this time I have been studying mathematics and have finally been achieving A/A* on past papers.

I’m considering deferring a year of going to university to study the further mathematics course, and by the time I go to university I will be 21. I’m considering this if the option of applying with a competitive application to Oxford is possible.

Where I’m stuck:

I find myself trying to push myself away from my GCSE results as much as I can. I’m wondering if this time and money is really worth it? I’ve looked at the entry requirements for Lancaster and they want me to get DDD in my BTEC with no mention of a supplemental A Level. I feel as if my GCSE results will be detrimental to my application here without supplemented A Levels however and therefore I should just defer a year and give more time for both of my mathematical studies.

Expected Grades:

D*D*D*, if I take A Level mathematics I expect to achieve A*, and hopefully the same if I decide to take further mathematics.

Note: I want to study Computer Science at university, the BTEC is in IT. Also, I’m very much writing this after completing a 4,000 word assignment at 4 am, go easy on my grammar. Thanks guys :smile:

Very difficult to answer this. Oxford unlike almost every university lays importance on gcse results. However universities tend to be more flexible over mature candidates grades. If you are looking at Oxford I would contact the university and discuss the situation with them.

For almost every other university you will be fine. The one possible GCSE restriction would be your GCSE Maths grade as that is considered for CS.

Top universities generally require A level Maths usually at grade A and that is in addition to your A level subjects or BTEC.

Here is a list of universities not requiring A level Maths and their Maths requirement should you decide not to take A level. This may be slightly out of date but it is a good starting point.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Very difficult to answer this. Oxford unlike almost every university lays importance on gcse results. However universities tend to be more flexible over mature candidates grades. If you are looking at Oxford I would contact the university and discuss the situation with them.

For almost every other university you will be fine. The one possible GCSE restriction would be your GCSE Maths grade as that is considered for CS.

Top universities generally require A level Maths usually at grade A and that is in addition to your A level subjects or BTEC.

Here is a list of universities not requiring A level Maths and their Maths requirement should you decide not to take A level. This may be slightly out of date but it is a good starting point.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics