Peter symonds college

Watch this thread
BenFox
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all, I’m currently at a private school (bursary funded), really unsure whether to stay in sixth form or go to PSC.
I’ve visited PSC on the open evenings which was very busy and I didn’t get to see everything of interest. Also went for a day tour but again couldn’t meet any teachers.
So doing some research myself, I’ve been told PSC teaching isn’t great. The teacher’s aren’t very passionate and don’t help much.
I did get that vibe when I met 1 biology teacher, she was not very enthusiastic about the subject.
Just want to know from students currently in PSC, what the place is like and mainly the teachers?
Please can anyone help
Thanks
Last edited by BenFox; 7 months ago
Durham2023
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi: I am a PS student and I'll be taking my exams from Monday (U6). I also went to a private school and then moved to PS. Listen to your gut. What you've said here is exactly my experience. I went to PS because I wanted a better bridge to university (my private school had a very small sixth form) and a new experience. Part of what made it hard was I didn't know anyone at PS and I had a great friendship group at my former school, and then lockdowns and masks and isolations made it difficult (not possible) to make any friends. That's not the schools fault. But the worst thing was the teachers though. In fairness to them, going from in-person to online education is a big leap, but I can tell you it wasn't good. When we went back to in-person classes, it didn't improve. It felt like they were all spinning. The head of history is a very good teacher, but all my other teachers were remote and didn't care. It took 2 1/2 months to get exams marked and some essays I've turned in October/November are still not marked at all. We had a big mock in one of my subjects last week and they were honest we'd never get marked. So what is the point?! I ended up getting tutors after doing very badly on my end of year exams last year. When I went from an E to an A in one of my subjects, the teacher came to me and said "you did surprisingly well, what's your secret?" I was a bit shocked, because it showed me she knew it wasn't her. I would stay where you are if you can. My grades will be based on my tutors not Peter Symonds.
BenFox
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your reply, unfortunately the fee at my current school is no longer manageable for us; this seems like I’m possibly joining PS. Getting a little worried as I have heard more negative about the teachers. If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects did you take? Does PS have a mentor program with Alumni’s to guide current students? Thanks
Durham2023
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BenFox)
Thank you so much for your reply, unfortunately the fee at my current school is no longer manageable for us; this seems like I’m possibly joining PS. Getting a little worried as I have heard more negative about the teachers. If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects did you take? Does PS have a mentor program with Alumni’s to guide current students? Thanks
No problem. I am taking History, Psychology and Computer Science. The head of history (Andy) is a very good teacher but my other classes they felt remote. Looking back on it, I should have been braver and gone up to the teachers when I was struggling and that might have been a better outcome. It was a strange time with the pandemic, we were separated a lot and it's a big school. You will be amazed how quickly you get used to a big school, though. I was worried at first as it was so different, but a few weeks in and I felt I knew where everything was and it wasn't strange any more. I really think things will be better for you without all the lockdowns and restrictions and online learning. I think the teachers struggled with that, and our problems as students came from that. If you feel lost, I would let people know right away. I didn't really and that probably caused problems for me. The students are nice as a whole, but I didn't make any friends. Again I think that will be different for you as you won't be locked down and separated as we were. I'm not aware of a mentor program for Alumni.
BenFox
Rep:
Great to get info from you, all the best!
Durham2023
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You too!
nooneeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I went to PS (left last year, currently on gap year) and really enjoyed my time there! I did maths further maths and chemistry. Regarding teaching I was lucky to have mostly really amazing teachers, my chemistry teacher was scary at first but great, and one of my maths teachers (we had one for pure maths, one for stats and mechanics) was the head of maths, he is genuinely amazing, same for further maths- head of further maths was one of my teachers and he is also a great teacher. Studying there is almost like university (as close an experience as you could get imo) which has it's pros and cons- amazing library and resources, but the freedom with free periods and the city it's in, can definitely be a distraction, you need discipline to be able to enjoy your time there whilst also being serious about your grades, wheras in a sixth form at a school (so not a sixth form college) you're with the same people and I'd assume it's a lot more like school, which I feel like will encourage you to take your studies more seriously.
I know people who thrived at PS, and others who didn't. I know some who didn't have great teachers too. So I think it's up to you and also luck, but I really do think it's an amazing place and enjoyed my time there before covid hit and everything was online.
Last edited by nooneeee; 1 month ago
BenFox
Rep:
Thanks for you reply, I’m going to the taster day and hopefully will get an insight of the college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed