Pacinian corpuscle exam question

Watch this thread
randomperson244
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi could you help me with this question. “Suggest an explanation for the fact that action potentials are not generated constantly from the pacinian corpuscles whilst wearing clothes”
I know it’s to do with the pacinian corpuscles not creating action potentials when pressure is constant, but I’m not sure how to explain why this is. Is it something to do with the brain being overstimulated if it’s constantly aware of every weak stimulus or something???
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by randomperson244)
Hi could you help me with this question. “Suggest an explanation for the fact that action potentials are not generated constantly from the pacinian corpuscles whilst wearing clothes”
I know it’s to do with the pacinian corpuscles not creating action potentials when pressure is constant, but I’m not sure how to explain why this is. Is it something to do with the brain being overstimulated if it’s constantly aware of every weak stimulus or something???
Pacinian corpuscles detect a change in pressure. When there is change in pressure, the pacinian corpuscle depolarises, if this reaches the threshold voltage, an action potential is fired.

The question is asking you to explain how action potentials are not fired constantly whilst wearing clothes, not why. Although you are right, it would be quite annoying if we were constantly feeling pressure from our clothes.
Notjustobsessed
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that the answer would be the refractory period or the fact that the stretch mediated sodium ion channels are not able to open, meaning it is not possible for an influx of sodium ions via facilitated diffusion, so an influx of positive charge is also not possible, meaning that generator potential and action potential are not reached.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads