Best unis for law with entry requirements AAB/ABB

Watch this thread
Unigoer2022
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I want to study law at a prestigious, respected uni so that after uni I could potentially work at a big firm. I had my mind on university of Leicester (AAB) as my firm and potentially university of essex (BBB) as my safe option. But now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t know if that’s good enough, I think there are probably better ones out there, any help appreciated
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Leicester is decent but Essex isn't.
The top universities where graduates are more likely to get into the big law firms have entry requirements of AAA. Russell Group universities typically require AAA for Law, so you'd have to look outside of the top/prestigious universities.
Unigoer2022
Rep:
(Original post by rosy_posy)
Leicester is decent but Essex isn't.
The top universities where graduates are more likely to get into the big law firms have entry requirements of AAA. Russell Group universities typically require AAA for Law, so you'd have to look outside of the top/prestigious universities.
Honestly, I’m not sure if I can get an AAA, I’m predicted A*BB, and I honestly think I’ll get AAB/A*BB at a push tbh. So, that means no Russel group unfortunately. Does not going to a Russel group mainly mean I won’t be picked up by a good firm after I graduate?
Also, you say Leicester is decent, do you know any other unis which are ranked just below Russel groups with attainable entry requirements?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Unigoer2022)
I want to study law at a prestigious, respected uni so that after uni I could potentially work at a big firm. I had my mind on university of Leicester (AAB) as my firm and potentially university of essex (BBB) as my safe option. But now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t know if that’s good enough, I think there are probably better ones out there, any help appreciated
Leicester is good but I wouldn't bother with Essex as there are better options with AAB/ABB. Like Kent, Sussex & Lancaster.
Unigoer2022
Rep:
(Original post by maz445)
Lancaster is AAB and a really good uni!
I was really looking at Lancaster and it was gonna be my go to uni, but apparently it wasn’t ethnic diverse and I didn’t really want that tbh. Thank you for your reply!!
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
I was really looking at Lancaster and it was gonna be my go to uni, but apparently it wasn’t ethnic diverse and I didn’t really want that tbh. Thank you for your reply!!
Not as ethnic diverse as Leicester but still diverse. The most important thing is to get into the best uni you can.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Honestly, I’m not sure if I can get an AAA, I’m predicted A*BB, and I honestly think I’ll get AAB/A*BB at a push tbh. So, that means no Russel group unfortunately. Does not going to a Russel group mainly mean I won’t be picked up by a good firm after I graduate?
Also, you say Leicester is decent, do you know any other unis which are ranked just below Russel groups with attainable entry requirements?
You can still be picked by a good firm after graduation if you don't go to an RG uni. Law is a very competitive course to apply for and the graduate market is competitive too. So chances are you won't get into a Magic Circle law firm, but there are plenty of good law firms outside of those ones.
Non Russell Group universities for Law: Reading, Aberdeen, Leicester, UEA, Sussex and Lancaster
Unigoer2022
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
Leicester is good but I wouldn't bother with Essex as there are better options with AAB/ABB. Like Kent, Sussex & Lancaster.
I’ve been told by some that Kent and Sussex are respected and are good unis . But whenever I looked into them, they were positioned quite poorly on the league table, which confused me and put me off a bit
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
I’ve been told by some that Kent and Sussex are respected and are good unis . But whenever I looked into them, they were positioned quite poorly on the league table, which confused me and put me off a bit
If they're not Russell Group then ofc they're not going to be as reputable
Unigoer2022
Rep:
Not as ethnic diverse as Leicester but still diverse. The most important thing is to get into the best uni you can.
Yes that is very true, but I fear I’ll find it boring, however you’re right education first
Wibble04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship? I know that some firms like Brown Jacobson offer them. This might be worth a quick look at if it isn't too late?
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
For Law, they're higher than Essex and Kent is just below Leicester. Though league tables have to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think this is the best one. Thinking about it, Reading could be a good choice also (it is a pretty diverse town) but Lancaster is the more prestigious uni which you said you wanted

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law
Last edited by harrysbar; 7 months ago
Unigoer2022
Rep:
You can still be picked by a good firm after graduation if you don't go to an RG uni. Law is a very competitive course to apply for and the graduate market is competitive too. So chances are you won't get into a Magic Circle law firm, but there are plenty of good law firms outside of those ones.
Non Russell Group universities for Law: Reading, Aberdeen, Leicester, UEA, Sussex and Lancaster
Ahhh thank you, I understand. I’ll have a look into every uni you’ve mentioned thank you. And yeh I don’t mind if it’s not a magic circle firm tbh, as long as it’s enough for me to make a good career and eventually make good money
Unigoer2022
Rep:
If they're not Russell Group then ofc they're not going to be as reputable
Yeh not as good as Russel groups, but I was surprised to see they’re around 40-50 on the league tables
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Ahhh thank you, I understand. I’ll have a look into every uni you’ve mentioned thank you. And yeh I don’t mind if it’s not a magic circle firm tbh, as long as it’s enough for me to make a good career and eventually make good money
Good luck with your university search
Unigoer2022
Rep:
(Original post by Wibble04)
Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship? I know that some firms like Brown Jacobson offer them. This might be worth a quick look at if it isn't too late?
To be honest, I haven’t really, but I’ll give it a look. Definitely not too late, thanks
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Yeh not as good as Russel groups, but I was surprised to see they’re around 40-50 on the league tables
Kent is at number 29 in the league table I posted which is a good one, Leicester is 28, Lancaster is 27. Reading is 33 and then you get Sussex at 43 and Essex at 45.

But you shouldn't get too hung up on league tables as unis can go up or down 10 points or more in one year. The main thing is to match your grades to the unis and aim for the best unis you can that still match other requirements you have like location, diversity etc
Unigoer2022
Rep:
For Law, they're higher than Essex and Kent is just below Leicester. Though league tables have to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think this is the best one. Thinking about it, Reading could be a good choice also (it is a pretty diverse town) but Lancaster is the more prestigious uni which you said you wanted

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law
Thank you for this. Yeh Kent seems really good I’ll deffo consider that, thanks. Sussex and Leicester both seem quite similar, so it’d prob be between one or the other for my safe option. Reading is an amazing shout I’ll definitely look into that, thank you
Unigoer2022
Rep:
Good luck with your university search
Thank you😁
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thank you for this. Yeh Kent seems really good I’ll deffo consider that, thanks. Sussex and Leicester both seem quite similar, so it’d prob be between one or the other for my safe option. Reading is an amazing shout I’ll definitely look into that, thank you
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
30.23%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (16)
37.21%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.65%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.65%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.98%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.95%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.33%

Watched Threads