The Student Room Group

Motivation

I've always loved Geography, got a 9 at GCSE, and got As throughout most of first year A-Level, except for the past 2 sets of mocks I've done, I've got Cs, which has knocked my confidence and made me anxious. I have applied for Environmental Geography (or similar courses), and have got offers from Cardiff (will be my firm choice), York, Keele, and Worcester. I'm still waiting to hear from Lancaster for Physical Geography but am not likely to go there. My submitted grades were AAA, but I don't think I will get this since I've recently been struggling with Biology, and Geography appears to be becoming an issue too...
I didn't revise anywhere as much as I should have for the last 2 mocks so it is my fault for being complacent, but I ended up focussing more on Biology both times... does anyone have any tips for getting the motivation back to just revise little and often so I don't completely fall behind? I'm scared that if I revise Geography thoroughly then I'll still not do too well. It makes me anxious to go to Geography lessons now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to although do still enjoy it.
Cardiff is asking for BBB-BBC so shouldn't be too difficult to get into, but there will be issues if I can't get my ass into gear.
The only subject I am confident in is English Lit, and even then I have my bad days, and it's starting to make me even more anxious than I normally am to think about how I've let my grades slip.

Scroll to see replies

hey, I am having the same problems, I have mocks in less than a week and have little to no revision. I take bio chem and Geography, Geography being my best but I have been getting As and Bs up until last week and I got an E. Ive never struggled in Geography that much but my confidence has also dropped. I don't have a lot of advice but just wanted to let you now you aren't alone I also have no motivation and am very scared I won't get into uni
what topics are you studying in Geography??? maybe we could help each other
Reply 2
Original post by helooooooojrru
hey, I am having the same problems, I have mocks in less than a week and have little to no revision. I take bio chem and Geography, Geography being my best but I have been getting As and Bs up until last week and I got an E. Ive never struggled in Geography that much but my confidence has also dropped. I don't have a lot of advice but just wanted to let you now you aren't alone I also have no motivation and am very scared I won't get into uni
what topics are you studying in Geography??? maybe we could help each other

Hi, although it's unfortunate that we're in this situation, at least we're not alone :console: currently I'm doing the carbon cycle and energy security in physical, and superpowers in human. Overall, we do these, coasts, tectonics, globalisation, regenerating places, and we haven't yet gotten onto the water cycle and health, human rights and intervention. What about you?
As for uni, I don't know what your predicted grades are but I'm sure you'll get offers :smile: what courses do you want to apply to and where? Unless it's a competitive course they often give offers to people 1 (or maybe 2 if you're really lucky) grades below the entry requirements
As for your mocks, you can squeeze revision in last second- cramming works more than you might think it does :tongue: a little is better than none at all! Make sure you take breaks and get sufficient sleep though- don't sacrifice your health for studying :smile:
Original post by LJ234
Hi, although it's unfortunate that we're in this situation, at least we're not alone :console: currently I'm doing the carbon cycle and energy security in physical, and superpowers in human. Overall, we do these, coasts, tectonics, globalisation, regenerating places, and we haven't yet gotten onto the water cycle and health, human rights and intervention. What about you?
As for uni, I don't know what your predicted grades are but I'm sure you'll get offers :smile: what courses do you want to apply to and where? Unless it's a competitive course they often give offers to people 1 (or maybe 2 if you're really lucky) grades below the entry requirements
As for your mocks, you can squeeze revision in last second- cramming works more than you might think it does :tongue: a little is better than none at all! Make sure you take breaks and get sufficient sleep though- don't sacrifice your health for studying :smile:

im doing hazards, coasts carbon nd water cycle, and then contemporary urban environments, and globalisation.
I want to apply for neuroscience, looking at Manchester, Leeds,nottingham, Sussex at the moment what about you???
Reply 4
im doing hazards, coasts carbon nd water cycle, and then contemporary urban environments, and globalisation.
I want to apply for neuroscience, looking at Manchester, Leeds,nottingham, Sussex at the moment what about you???

Noice so we do a lot of the same! What exam board are you? I'm Edexcel. I've applied for Environmental Geography at Cardiff and York (got offers from both, want to go to Cardiff), Environment and Sustainability at Keele University (got an offer), Physical Geography at Lancaster University (still waiting for an offer), and Environmental Management and Sustainability at University of Worcester (got an offer). Hope you get where you want to, neuroscience sounds so cool!
Original post by LJ234
Noice so we do a lot of the same! What exam board are you? I'm Edexcel. I've applied for Environmental Geography at Cardiff and York (got offers from both, want to go to Cardiff), Environment and Sustainability at Keele University (got an offer), Physical Geography at Lancaster University (still waiting for an offer), and Environmental Management and Sustainability at University of Worcester (got an offer). Hope you get where you want to, neuroscience sounds so cool!

ahhhhh im aqa, but wow congrats on the offers I haven't completed my application yet as I am waiting for my references my teachers are taking a while. Im so scared I won't get any offers, may I ask what your predicted grades are and what grades you got offered???
Reply 6
ahhhhh im aqa, but wow congrats on the offers I haven't completed my application yet as I am waiting for my references my teachers are taking a while. Im so scared I won't get any offers, may I ask what your predicted grades are and what grades you got offered???

Thanks :smile: My predicted grades at the start of this year were AAA but I think Bio and Geography have probably gone down lmao :/ that's why I got it off a while ago because I knew they were likely to change... cheating the system a bit but... I mean Cardiff is asking for BBB or BBC if I firm them (which I most likely will), so that shouldn't be t o o hard to get, Keele was BBC I think, Worcester was 104-120 points, York was AAB and so was Lancaster. What are your predicted grades? I'm sure you'll get offers!
Hey, I’ve also lost all motivation to work. Didn’t have best grades to begin with. But feel more and more like poop each day. I do geography and English lit
Original post by Thestudent107SWC
Hey, I’ve also lost all motivation to work. Didn’t have best grades to begin with. But feel more and more like poop each day. I do geography and English lit

No third subject? :curious:
Original post by rosy_posy
No third subject? :curious:

Haha, I meant in similarity w the OP. my brain is so tierd rn and I have barely done anything. Just going to blame it on the Monday feeling
Haha, I meant in similarity w the OP. my brain is so tierd rn and I have barely done anything. Just going to blame it on the Monday feeling

Same :frown:
Original post by rosy_posy
Same :frown:

Imma just leave everything for tomorrow haha. Cba :frown:
Imma just leave everything for tomorrow haha. Cba :frown:

You said you're in Y13 (in another thread I saw) so think about how good you'd feel if you got into the university you like best :smile: that could be a good source of motivation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LJ234
Thanks :smile: My predicted grades at the start of this year were AAA but I think Bio and Geography have probably gone down lmao :/ that's why I got it off a while ago because I knew they were likely to change... cheating the system a bit but... I mean Cardiff is asking for BBB or BBC if I firm them (which I most likely will), so that shouldn't be t o o hard to get, Keele was BBC I think, Worcester was 104-120 points, York was AAB and so was Lancaster. What are your predicted grades? I'm sure you'll get offers!

current my predicted grades are ABC praying they go up after mocks and not down:frown:
Reply 14
current my predicted grades are ABC praying they go up after mocks and not down:frown:

They're not a bad set of predictions, well done! I'm sure they won't go down, and if they stay the same then you can still get onto some good courses, and if you apply to somewhere asking for ABB then (as long as it's not a very competitive course) then they're likely to give you an offer, especially if your personal statement is good :smile: But I'm sure they'll go up, in which case that's a great set of predictions and you can pretty much apply to most places :smile:
Yes I’m feeling the same. I’ve just finished a Medicine Diploma and now I am re-doing my Maths & English GCSE’s in order to get into Medical school (I re-did my Science GCSE’s 2 years ago). I recently had to take two 2 hour university exams too so I’m pooped. I’m a mature student (28) and work full time also.

Take a little break if you can. Sometimes a little break is just enough to re-fresh. It’s important not to burn yourself out (I learned the hard way with this). I’m taking this weekend off (hurrah), and hoping that’ll be enough to ignite the fire again, ready for a fresh new week next week :smile:
Self-motivation is the drive within you to pursue and succeed at something whatever it may be. It requires hard-work and total focus on your end goal. A reward at the end of it will keep you hungry, and discipline will drive you forward. One gets it by contemplating on what is it they want, and working towards it at all costs. Setting goals and breaking them. In order to overcome your weaknesses, you must undergo hardship and accept that you will strive through hardship until you reach your goal. After hardship comes ease.
Original post by LJ234
I've always loved Geography, got a 9 at GCSE, and got As throughout most of first year A-Level, except for the past 2 sets of mocks I've done, I've got Cs, which has knocked my confidence and made me anxious. I have applied for Environmental Geography (or similar courses), and have got offers from Cardiff (will be my firm choice), York, Keele, and Worcester. I'm still waiting to hear from Lancaster for Physical Geography but am not likely to go there. My submitted grades were AAA, but I don't think I will get this since I've recently been struggling with Biology, and Geography appears to be becoming an issue too...
I didn't revise anywhere as much as I should have for the last 2 mocks so it is my fault for being complacent, but I ended up focussing more on Biology both times... does anyone have any tips for getting the motivation back to just revise little and often so I don't completely fall behind? I'm scared that if I revise Geography thoroughly then I'll still not do too well. It makes me anxious to go to Geography lessons now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to although do still enjoy it.
Cardiff is asking for BBB-BBC so shouldn't be too difficult to get into, but there will be issues if I can't get my ass into gear.
The only subject I am confident in is English Lit, and even then I have my bad days, and it's starting to make me even more anxious than I normally am to think about how I've let my grades slip.

The way I found is best to revise is this:

Make sure you have an area which has no distractions e.g. phones, video games etc, and make sure you don't do anything else in that area. For example don't use the same desk that you play video games on to revise, as your brain associates it with a place for gaming and not studying, which means you're more likely to be distracted.

You should try using a self-reward system, where you give yourself specific goals throughout the day. For example, say you'll mindmap the whole of one topic in 45 minutes, and only then will you go and do what you want to like hanging out with friends or something. I'd also reccomend structuring your days around this - e.g. 30 minutes of x, then a 15 minute break then 30 minutes of y. Of course you can choose how rigid you want to be with your breaks and how strict you will be with timings, but I believe some degree of planning is necessary to maintain consistent amounts of revision.

Another thing that helps me personally is setting a time to do something that is shorter than what you think it will take to complete the task. I found that trying to do things that would take me 45 minutes normally in 30 minutes would help me stay focused and therefore allow to be more efficient and more concise.

In summary the key is to reward yourself and maintain a consistent structure of revision.
Reply 18
Original post by ben_james5
The way I found is best to revise is this:

Make sure you have an area which has no distractions e.g. phones, video games etc, and make sure you don't do anything else in that area. For example don't use the same desk that you play video games on to revise, as your brain associates it with a place for gaming and not studying, which means you're more likely to be distracted.

You should try using a self-reward system, where you give yourself specific goals throughout the day. For example, say you'll mindmap the whole of one topic in 45 minutes, and only then will you go and do what you want to like hanging out with friends or something. I'd also reccomend structuring your days around this - e.g. 30 minutes of x, then a 15 minute break then 30 minutes of y. Of course you can choose how rigid you want to be with your breaks and how strict you will be with timings, but I believe some degree of planning is necessary to maintain consistent amounts of revision.

Another thing that helps me personally is setting a time to do something that is shorter than what you think it will take to complete the task. I found that trying to do things that would take me 45 minutes normally in 30 minutes would help me stay focused and therefore allow to be more efficient and more concise.

In summary the key is to reward yourself and maintain a consistent structure of revision.

Original post by MaddyScott1993
Yes I’m feeling the same. I’ve just finished a Medicine Diploma and now I am re-doing my Maths & English GCSE’s in order to get into Medical school (I re-did my Science GCSE’s 2 years ago). I recently had to take two 2 hour university exams too so I’m pooped. I’m a mature student (28) and work full time also.

Take a little break if you can. Sometimes a little break is just enough to re-fresh. It’s important not to burn yourself out (I learned the hard way with this). I’m taking this weekend off (hurrah), and hoping that’ll be enough to ignite the fire again, ready for a fresh new week next week :smile:

Original post by Malik Khattab
Self-motivation is the drive within you to pursue and succeed at something whatever it may be. It requires hard-work and total focus on your end goal. A reward at the end of it will keep you hungry, and discipline will drive you forward. One gets it by contemplating on what is it they want, and working towards it at all costs. Setting goals and breaking them. In order to overcome your weaknesses, you must undergo hardship and accept that you will strive through hardship until you reach your goal. After hardship comes ease.

Thanks to each of you, I'll try your suggestions :smile:
You could make flash cards and revision aids on the topics you have done that day every day after school so you have some of the resources you need when it comes to properly revising before a levels. It sounds like you just hit a bit of a dip but I’m certain that you can get back to where you want to be.

Quick Reply

Latest