anonymous238
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I was wondering has anyone did a psychology degree and then did a PGCE for primary education? if they did what university did they do it in London. I was thinking of doing a degree for Primary Education With QTS, however my teacher is advising me to do a degree in psychology and then do a PGCSES for primary education, as you can become a primary teacher anytime. And it would also broaden my career choices. But I don't know anyone who has done that so I was wondering is that possible?
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anonymous238)
Hi I was wondering has anyone did a psychology degree and then did a PGCE for primary education? if they did what university did they do it in London. I was thinking of doing a degree for Primary Education With QTS, however my teacher is advising me to do a degree in psychology and then do a PGCSES for primary education, as you can become a primary teacher anytime. And it would also broaden my career choices. But I don't know anyone who has done that so I was wondering is that possible?
Yes that is possible, although primary pgce course are often very competitive.
Your teacher is right that you will have way more options if you do a psychology degree first, if you do a teaching degree and then decide it's not right for you then you're a bit stuck without other qualifications. However you should do only do a degree you actually want to, otherwise it will be hard to keep going when it gets tough.
anonymous238
Rep:
(Original post by L-K)
Yes that is possible, although primary pgce course are often very competitive.
Your teacher is right that you will have way more options if you do a psychology degree first, if you do a teaching degree and then decide it's not right for you then you're a bit stuck without other qualifications. However you should do only do a degree you actually want to, otherwise it will be hard to keep going when it gets tough.
That is so true, right now I am struggling on what I want to become. I definitely want to do something in teaching, but I want to be able to work with Primary and Secondary school kids. But I don't know which one to do. I have achieved a D*DD for level 3 Health and Social Care. However, I am currently taking a gap year to do Level 2 Applied Science, since I have failed my GCSES science. Apparently that is equivalent to GCSES Science.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
That is so true, right now I am struggling on what I want to become. I definitely want to do something in teaching, but I want to be able to work with Primary and Secondary school kids. But I don't know which one to do. I have achieved a D*DD for level 3 Health and Social Care. However, I am currently taking a gap year to do Level 2 Applied Science, since I have failed my GCSES science. Apparently that is equivalent to GCSES Science.
You need to be careful about what L2 Science you are doing. Some PGCE providers only accept GCSE equivalent from certain companies.
L-K
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to work in secondary teaching then you will need a degree in (or similar to) what you want to teach and then you should do a pgce after that.
Teaching has a very high dropout rate so it would be good to have a degree which gave you options if you decided you didn't want to teach anymore.
Last edited by L-K; 3 weeks ago
anonymous238
Rep:
(Original post by L-K)
If you want to work in secondary teaching then you will need a degree in (or similar to) what you want to teach and then you should do a pgce after that.
Teaching has a very high dropout rate so it would be good to have a degree which gave you options if you decided you didn't want to teach anymore.
That is true I was thinking I could do a degree in Primary education QTS and then move on to a PGCSE and do something that is related to secondary school. But I do not know if any PGCSE entry requirement would allow that.
anonymous238
Rep:
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
You need to be careful about what L2 Science you are doing. Some PGCE providers only accept GCSE equivalent from certain companies.
I was thinking that too. I am 19 right now and next year I am planning to go to university and if that is the case then I might have to retake my GCSES science next year. Also do you know any PGCE that would let you teach secondary schools with a primary education QTS degree.
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm doing Psychology in Education at York in first year, maybe look at that, it combines both subjects together! You don't get the teacher status/still have to do a PGCE, but at least it keeps your options open! Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about the course. It also often has lower entry requirements than Psych even at good unis eg- ABB at York,Bristol, Warwick etc x
L-K
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
That is true I was thinking I could do a degree in Primary education QTS and then move on to a PGCSE and do something that is related to secondary school. But I do not know if any PGCSE entry requirement would allow that.
I don't think you would get any funding from student finance for a pgce if you already have QTS. Also you would have to apply for a pgce in a particular subject that you want to teach at secondary. E.g. I did an undergrad in biochemistry and then did a pgce in secondary chemistry.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I was thinking that too. I am 19 right now and next year I am planning to go to university and if that is the case then I might have to retake my GCSES science next year. Also do you know any PGCE that would let you teach secondary schools with a primary education QTS degree.
To teach secondary, your degree needs to be at least 50% of that subject.
L-K
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
To teach secondary, your degree needs to be at least 50% of that subject.
Or you can have a degree in another subject and do a subject knowledge enhancement course.
It would be ridiculous to plan to do that in advance though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads