Can you become a secondary school teacher with a primary education degree?

Watch
anonymous238
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently taking a gap year. I am planning to study Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), at university next year. I was wondering can I become a secondary school teacher after I study that degree and if so what PGCSE would allow me to do that.
Kentinho99
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anonymous238)
I am currently taking a gap year. I am planning to study Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), at university next year. I was wondering can I become a secondary school teacher after I study that degree and if so what PGCSE would allow me to do that.
Hi there,

Well a primary education with qts course is literally just for primary school teaching. If you wanted to go into secondary you'd have to do either a degree in the specific subject you want to teach at secondary school then do a PGCE in that field or after your primary education with qts degree do a masters in science for example then do a PGCE secondary. They're totally different. Im doing primary education BA and then i have to do a primary pgce after. Though i may change to primary education BEd next year to sprrd up the process of me becoming a primary school teacher
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads