The Student Room Group

Suspected car bomb attack on a Liverpool hospital leaves 1 dead, 1 injured

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Johnnava
While a few may have been talking about the economic collapse of the Middle East, a migration crisis and a consequent rise in terrorist attacks, I can't remember any security chiefs saying anything. It was mostly the internet and a handful of outspoken academics.

No, its been fairly well covered and discussed by the wonks in these circles that locking people up in their homes for months on end was likely to send a few of them deep diving down the rabbit hole. Be it islamism, far right nut jobs, eco terrorists (or any of the other delightful options out there) leaving bored, usually young, people with nothing to do but sit in front of their computers and get sucked in to these circle jerks has always been on the security services minds (hell, it was before lock downs.. these just amplified the concerns for potential impacts)
Original post by Napp
Apparently he was a Christian...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/17/church-fire-wake-liverpool-suicide-bombing-helping-asylum-seekers/

Apparently he converted to Christianity to avoid deportation.

Original post by JOSH4598
Well that's not entirely true. The former head of Counter Terrorism Policing pointed this out back in January while the current Head of MI5 hinted at this also. The lockdowns have made surveillance much trickier, and have meant many people have spent long periods on the internet (potentially looking at harmful content). It has little to do with the Middle East - much of this is home-grown terrorism.

That angle is a first for me actually. I'm more used to the view that economic despair in the Middle East would cause mass migration into Europe and consequently introduce an increase in terrorism and Islamist activity.
Original post by Johnnava
That angle is a first for me actually. I'm more used to the view that economic despair in the Middle East would cause mass migration into Europe and consequently introduce an increase in terrorism and Islamist activity.

While that may happen, the vast majority of terrorism in the UK is perpetrated self-radicalised extremists who have often lived in the UK for quite a while. It's not just Islamic extremism, with far-right terrorism also being a concern (although I would argue to a lesser extent).
Original post by tsrinvader
Backstabbing traitorious scum Tory party let him in

They're just a bad as Labour

Britain needs a real Right wing alternative

There's nothing Right about that party.. neo-liberal marxist who support the great replacement

On immigration the Conservatives have really failed. Virtually none of their party members nor their voter base support mass (and illegal) immigration. If Boris sorted this out, he could easily win back the votes he's inevitably lost in the past 18 months and capitalise on the working class Labour base who generally don't support it either. I feel if we had a national referendum, a landslide majority would want very minimal immigration with unsuccessful asylum seekers deported and tighter border controls in the Channel.
On immigration the Conservatives have really failed. Virtually none of their party members nor their voter base support mass (and illegal) immigration. If Boris sorted this out, he could easily win back the votes he's inevitably lost in the past 18 months and capitalise on the working class Labour base who generally don't support it either. I feel if we had a national referendum, a landslide majority would want very minimal immigration with unsuccessful asylum seekers deported and tighter border controls in the Channel.

Migration is a complex issue that the Government struggles to manage. This is because the State requires the workforce and the local population are unwilling to do certain jobs that migrants would gladly pick up. During the pandemic, the Government struggled to recruit fruit and veg pickers because local people did not come forward so they had to fly in people from East Europe and North Africa.
Original post by Wired_1800
Migration is a complex issue that the Government struggles to manage. This is because the State requires the workforce and the local population are unwilling to do certain jobs that migrants would gladly pick up. During the pandemic, the Government struggled to recruit fruit and veg pickers because local people did not come forward so they had to fly in people from East Europe and North Africa.

Fully granted immigration is complicated, with many flows in and out of Britain for many different reasons. I personally have no issue with short-term migrants seeking seasonal work. However in terms of illegal immigration, the Conservatives have failed to adequately contain the issue and maintain the same systems and processes which just attract more people trafficking to the UK.

However I don't want to turn this thread into one about migration - I admit that immigration is only a component of UK terrorism with many other factors being far more influential.
Fully granted immigration is complicated, with many flows in and out of Britain for many different reasons. I personally have no issue with short-term migrants seeking seasonal work. However in terms of illegal immigration, the Conservatives have failed to adequately contain the issue and maintain the same systems and processes which just attract more people trafficking to the UK.

However I don't want to turn this thread into one about migration - I admit that immigration is only a component of UK terrorism with many other factors being far more influential.

Again, migration is a complex issue. Most people who come to this country are legal. The tiny amount of undocumented migrants are either refugees from war-torn nations or those who overstayed their visas.

The UK is one of the most regulated countries with regards to migration, despite the claims of some news media.
I ask a question in regards to that he was a christian.

Do we know if he was forced to convert to Christianity?

Why would a former muslim convert to Christianity and still carry out a terrorist attack?
Original post by JVM2020

Why would a former muslim convert to Christianity and still carry out a terrorist attack?

Er.....to game the system?
Original post by JVM2020

Are you making a claim that Christians are incapable of carrying out terrorist attacks?
Original post by Wired_1800
Are you making a claim that Christians are incapable of carrying out terrorist attacks?

No. I am no judge. I was saying what would cause a christian to carry out a terrorist attack?

All the terror attacks we are facing in the UK are from extremists.
Original post by JVM2020
No. I am no judge. I was saying what would cause a christian to carry out a terrorist attack?

Christians can be extremists... as can anyone

It is pure prejudice to equate Muslim = terrorist
Original post by JVM2020

What would cause a muslim to carry out a terrorist attack?

Like you rightly noted, majority of attacks were from extremists.
I've tweaked the thread title since the story is no longer BREAKING
Focus on your life.
Original post by JVM2020

There is something called taqiyah, so I suspect he "converted" to Christianity just to be more accepted in the community he was living in. However he was a Muslim at heart
Reports in the Telegraph that he was seen at the local mosque praying all day every day during Ramadan and was seen at the mosque praying with fellow Muslims the week before the bombing, so you are correct it was very likely Taqiyya, (the practice of lying to advance Islam in a given situation)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending