Geography NEA

Watch this thread
lou88811
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,
My geography class is currently working on our NEA and I'm planning on starting my introduction this week. I know our class has started it quite late, it's because our teacher wasn't giving us much guidance and so I've just had the motivation to figure out what I have to do. I've set out a plan on how I'm going to write up my intro and all the separate sections.
My question is "To what extent is the perception of crime in southchurch avenue (southend-on-sea) accurate to the actual risk residents face".
The slight issue I'm having is coming up with appropriate sub-questions/hypotheses. The ones I'm considering are:
- To determine whether the type of crime residents think they're most at risk of is accurate
- To determine whether the amount of crime residents think they're most at risk of is accurate
- What factors cause perception of crime to be accurate/inaccurate (experience?/media they see?/change in crime overtime?)
- How might residents accuracy of perception impact their quality of life and/or experiences in Southend
I feel like the first three are sufficient but I'm not really sure, to be honest. If anyone has any advice or other suggestions that would be great.
EpicChefUK
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
The third sub-question should really be grouped with the first two - so looking not only for a trend but also what influences that trend. It helps to phrase the sub-questions as "to what extent" or "how ...." as well.

So, for example, these are the 3 that I would use...

1. To what extent are residents' perceptions accurate about the type of crime they are most at risk of, and what factors affect the accuracy of these perceptions?
  2. To what extent are residents' perceptions accurate about the level of crime and the resulting threat they face, and what factors affect the accuracy of these perceptions?
  3. To what extent is the quality of life of the residents on Southchurch Avenue affected by their perceptions of the crime they may be at risk of?

About your teacher, the exam board sets very specific guidelines on what teachers can, must, and can't tell you or help you with.

Teachers can:
• provide broad parameters for your investigation proposal (including themes from the specification, locations, availability of equipment, time constraints);
• advise on health and safety considerations, the use of equipment and potential ethical concerns.
• discuss with you your initial exploratory planning and tentative investigation titles.

Teachers must:
• approve your title and give general guidance on the methodology and analytical tools that you plan to use.
• Help you complete the Geography Independent Investigation Form – this will be submitted with your final investigation

Teachers must not:
• Tell you a title to investigate - it is your independent investigation!
• Mark your work and give detailed feedback about how to improve to meet the assessment criteria. I can however tell you what sections may need improving (but cannot give details about exactly what these amendments should be)
• Mark work provisionally and then share the mark so that you can improve it
• Return work to you after it has been submitted and marked
lou88811
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by EpicChefUK)
The third sub-question should really be grouped with the first two - so looking not only for a trend but also what influences that trend. It helps to phrase the sub-questions as "to what extent" or "how ...." as well.

So, for example, these are the 3 that I would use...

1. To what extent are residents' perceptions accurate about the type of crime they are most at risk of, and what factors affect the accuracy of these perceptions?
  2. To what extent are residents' perceptions accurate about the level of crime and the resulting threat they face, and what factors affect the accuracy of these perceptions?
  3. To what extent is the quality of life of the residents on Southchurch Avenue affected by their perceptions of the crime they may be at risk of?

About your teacher, the exam board sets very specific guidelines on what teachers can, must, and can't tell you or help you with.

Teachers can:
• provide broad parameters for your investigation proposal (including themes from the specification, locations, availability of equipment, time constraints);
• advise on health and safety considerations, the use of equipment and potential ethical concerns.
• discuss with you your initial exploratory planning and tentative investigation titles.

Teachers must:
• approve your title and give general guidance on the methodology and analytical tools that you plan to use.
• Help you complete the Geography Independent Investigation Form – this will be submitted with your final investigation

Teachers must not:
• Tell you a title to investigate - it is your independent investigation!
• Mark your work and give detailed feedback about how to improve to meet the assessment criteria. I can however tell you what sections may need improving (but cannot give details about exactly what these amendments should be)
• Mark work provisionally and then share the mark so that you can improve it
• Return work to you after it has been submitted and marked
Thank you so much this was really helpful😁😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise