EngStudent2022
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi EngStudent2022

As others have said, don't worry. As an extra mature student, I can assure you that at 22, you will barely stand out. You may even find you are not even the oldest in your accommodation. Naturally, you will find some 18 y olds who seem very immature, but you will also find the opposite. I have shared housing with a wide range of students and most don't care. They may not all become your best friends, but some will.

Enjoy the experience!

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Thanks. Hopefully my flatmates aren't TOO immature 😂
EngStudent2022
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by asif007)
I started uni a bit older than 22 and I'm a good 7-8 years older than most of my colleagues. If I can do it, so can you!
Awesome. Thanks!
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EngStudent2022)
Nice. Yeah I'm less worried about my course and more concerned if my age will affect the social and partying side as for better or worse I'm definitely going to be a big partier next year. Although your friend's experience seems to dispell most of my concerns. Thanks!
I am glad to hear that.

Students like to party, we quite quickly worked out who likes to go out a lot and we all encourage each other. No one will even think about your age, specially if you're keeping up. If anything you will probably give them a run for their money!

I am glad you have no academic concerns! It is why we are all here after all so it is great to hear that you are not worried about it.

Lydia
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
So I'll be starting university next year September and I'll be 22 and I'm slightly concerned not so much about my course but about uni life in general. I'm getting accommodation and definitely going to be getting fully involved with societies and parties a lot but I'm worried will I be noticeably older than most others? Will it make a difference? I sort of feel like I missed out on potentially 4 years more of experiencing uni life if I had started at 18. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?
Hello there

I started my degree when I was 25. I have just finished it this year (I am 28 now) and I am starting my Master now. I do not feel old at all.

I remember once someone told me "In three years you will still be 28, so isn't better to be 28 with a degree and learning about something that you love?".

I am doing psychology. I absolutely LOVE what I am doing. I want to become a clinical psychologist. I know it will take a long time still so I have just decided to enjoy the process.

You are definitely not too old. And you will find LOADS of people older than you studying too. In my sociology class there is a lady that is 60. You are never too old to learn something new

Best wishes
Andrea
Prefect1992
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Bro, don't worry like 90% of the people on my course were 30+.
Anyway Uni is a whole vibe so enjoy it
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I started at 23 last year and it was chill.

Admittedly I didn’t actually speak to anyone at university on a regular basis due to the coronavirus restrictions, but nobody really mentioned anything to me regarding my age.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
Hello there

I started my degree when I was 25. I have just finished it this year (I am 28 now) and I am starting my Master now. I do not feel old at all.

I remember once someone told me "In three years you will still be 28, so isn't better to be 28 with a degree and learning about something that you love?".

I am doing psychology. I absolutely LOVE what I am doing. I want to become a clinical psychologist. I know it will take a long time still so I have just decided to enjoy the process.

You are definitely not too old. And you will find LOADS of people older than you studying too. In my sociology class there is a lady that is 60. You are never too old to learn something new

Best wishes
Andrea
Very wise words thank you. My course will definitely help with my goals but I'll admit I'm also going to uni for the experience itself. The independence and social aspect is pretty big for me.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
I started at 23 last year and it was chill.

Admittedly I didn’t actually speak to anyone at university on a regular basis due to the coronavirus restrictions, but nobody really mentioned anything to me regarding my age.
Hopefully from next year September things will be back to normal. Doing everything from home and endless restrictions sounds like hell for me!
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
I am glad to hear that.

Students like to party, we quite quickly worked out who likes to go out a lot and we all encourage each other. No one will even think about your age, specially if you're keeping up. If anything you will probably give them a run for their money!

I am glad you have no academic concerns! It is why we are all here after all so it is great to hear that you are not worried about it.

Lydia
Students like to party eh? Excellent to hear! 🙌
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
So I'll be starting university next year September and I'll be 22 and I'm slightly concerned not so much about my course but about uni life in general. I'm getting accommodation and definitely going to be getting fully involved with societies and parties a lot but I'm worried will I be noticeably older than most others? Will it make a difference? I sort of feel like I missed out on potentially 4 years more of experiencing uni life if I had started at 18. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?
Hey EngStudent2022

I can see you have a lot of replies so hopefully you are feeling less nervous now. I just wanted to let you know that I started university at 22 and honestly do not regret my decision to go later! I still had a brilliant social life and had made friends for life. You will find a lot of people who come to university are older than 18. Most of my friends also arrived in their early twenties, so please don't worry. Try to get involved as much as you can at the start of the year and you will form friendship groups and get to know what you love to spend your free time doing. This is the same for ages not just mature students don't worry! One really good friend of mine came to university when they were forty, people come to university at all ages Have a great time!

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hopefully from next year September things will be back to normal. Doing everything from home and endless restrictions sounds like hell for me!
It was terrible. I personally things will be ‘back to normal’ by 2023 at this rate but starting next September seems to be a good decision
EngStudent2022
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hey EngStudent2022

I can see you have a lot of replies so hopefully you are feeling less nervous now. I just wanted to let you know that I started university at 22 and honestly do not regret my decision to go later! I still had a brilliant social life and had made friends for life. You will find a lot of people who come to university are older than 18. Most of my friends also arrived in their early twenties, so please don't worry. Try to get involved as much as you can at the start of the year and you will form friendship groups and get to know what you love to spend your free time doing. This is the same for ages not just mature students don't worry! One really good friend of mine came to university when they were forty, people come to university at all ages Have a great time!

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep
Thanks a lot. I've heard that getting involved socially asap is for the best. I just can't help feeling that I've missed out on 4 years of the uni experience by not going at 18, but all of the replies have been great and have helped a lot.
EngStudent2022
Rep:
It was terrible. I personally things will be ‘back to normal’ by 2023 at this rate but starting next September seems to be a good decision
I'm almost glad I didn't go to uni a few years ago then, the restrictions sound awful. Sorry mate.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I'm almost glad I didn't go to uni a few years ago then, the restrictions sound awful. Sorry mate.
No worries. I sincerely hope you have a better experience at university than I have so far!
EngStudent2022
Rep:
No worries. I sincerely hope you have a better experience at university than I have so far!
Cheers mate!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.13%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.95%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.33%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.43%
Getting distracted (44)
18.57%
Procrastination (79)
33.33%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
0.84%

Watched Threads