Gone quite a bit over the word count

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I submitted my portfolio assignment Thursday, with the word count being 2500 + or - 10%. My lecturer said the word count should be approximately 750 for each portfolio piece we do, plus 500 for a CV and 500 for a commercial awareness statement. My word count for the portfolio's were slightly over (866 and 829). My word count overall ended up being 2,633, so still within the + 10% range. Usually, for all our essays, lab reports and whatever they always tell us that figure legends are not included in the word count. My lecturer never mentioned anything about figure legends being included, so I didn't think it would contribute to the word count, neither was there any mention of it being counted in the assessment brief.

Someone asked on the discussion board on Friday whether figure legends counted to the total word count, and she said "Figure and table titles do not, but descriptive figure legends do" So I've realised that I'm now pretty much f*cked because it would put me at least 150 words over the word count
I keep worrying about it now because I can't re submit it or change it. Looking at the marking grid, there's a section for presentation which counts as 5% of our marks. One of the criteria for presentation is the word count being slightly too high or too low, or significantly over. Would the worst that would happen to me is getting 5% taken off for going over? I'm freaking out a little bit because I've never been over the word limit set.. I now regret ever submitting my work early :/
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I’m not sure how strict your module leads are with word counts but in my experience, they don’t really care much about it. I once went 1,000 words over the upper limit and wasn’t penalised for it. I know of other students who have gone below or above the word limits and nothing has happened then either.

This is anecdotal though, so it really depends on how much your lecturers care about this.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 8 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I’m not sure how strict your module leads are with word counts but in my experience, they don’t really care much about it. I once went 1,000 words over the upper limit and wasn’t penalised for it. I know of other students who have gone below or above the word limits and nothing has happened then either.

This is anecdotal though, so it really depends on how much your lecturers care about this.
I think she will be a bit strict with it, since she specifically asked us to submit it as a word document so she could check the word count. I really hope the worst she does is just mark me low on the presentation section since I'm about 300 words over
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Dont sweat it, worse case scenario you may lose 1 or 2% of the 5% allocation.
user993990
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
she has hundreds of students to mark. she will likely view the word document, see the word count and move on, not count up every word given in the legend
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Most it will be is 5% if that and probably less than 5%.
Forget it.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 8 months ago

One place I worked at penalised 5 marks for every 50 words over, no +/- 10%

Another penalised 5 marks for every 100 words over
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
One place I worked at penalised 5 marks for every 50 words over, no +/- 10%

Another penalised 5 marks for every 100 words over
Ruthless, but I can understand the reasoning.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Ruthless, but I can understand the reasoning.
It always felt a bit harsh when you had to enforce it. Sometimes a student with a first class essay was over the word count by 51 words, suddenly it's a 2:1. But yeah, the reasoning itself is logical. Just never enjoyed it :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads