The Student Room Group

Ofqual recommends students take mock exams every term for 2022 contingency plans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by summerbirdreads
Me too. I was in year 11 in 2020 and I knew all the content inside out.... like we started revising from December, many people did and it's just GCSE, not hard, there are people self-studying GCSEs.

I wouldn't say that self studying GCSEs is easy I'm just saying that if you did your GCSEs in 2020 and prior you should have done most of the content anyway unlike for 2021 GCSEs students who would have missed out on a much larger chunk thus may feel that they don't know all of the content.
We should keep the linear system (i.e. everyone takes the same papers at the same time) and re-introduce termly proper exams like they used to in the modular days 4 exam windows per A-level, and we should bring in GPA, A-level tiered grades have turned into a total shambles, lets face it A-levels have become a qualification not worth the paper they are written on the last couple of years. (I would also cap resits to 1 paper per A-level).
Reply 22
10 exams in 5 days with 2 weeks notice thank u ofqual!!!!!1
Reply 23
Original post by mnot
We should keep the linear system (i.e. everyone takes the same papers at the same time) and re-introduce termly proper exams like they used to in the modular days 4 exam windows per A-level, and we should bring in GPA, A-level tiered grades have turned into a total shambles, lets face it A-levels have become a qualification not worth the paper they are written on the last couple of years. (I would also cap resits to 1 paper per A-level).

love the pfp hahaaaa
In all honesty, I want completely normal exams to go ahead. I want the satisfaction of knowing I've earned my A Level grades, which was taken away from us at GCSE. A Levels are a process of learning and building on knowledge for 2 years so that by the time the real exams happen, you're ready. I'm not ready yet and neither are most people. Mocks are great for preparation and are a solid contingency plan but honestly I don't think there's a need to cancel them again, unless there is another lockdown where we are out of school, in which case I think normal school should go ahead for years 11 and 13 only. This is of course just my personal opinion, but if year 13's exams are cancelled again, we'll be going to university with absolutely no external exam experience, and we're going to get looked at like mugs in the future. We need actual exams.
Original post by Talkative Toad
you do realise that you may have to sit even more exams if the exams are cancelled right? Look at the threads from 2021 cohort students. I personally am somewhat mentally prepared this time if the exams get cancelled but trust me you don't want to go through what pupils last year had to go through.

Only some schools did it fairly - some gave predicted without justification. The exam board should have sampled the work by asking for a random group of students work. We had to do this when there was coursework ...
Original post by mnot

I don't think you're aware of how modular A levels worked. There were exams in June and January [not termly] and in later years you were restricted on retakes.
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think you're aware of how modular A levels worked. There were exams in June and January [not termly] and in later years you were restricted on retakes.

Yea, that’s basically what I had hoped to imply, the 2nd term is too short to really squeeze in an exam window. When I sat the modular kind you could resit every single paper & then if you resat their was no distinction between those who earned the same grade with one attempt.
(edited 2 years ago)
Only some schools did it fairly - some gave predicted without justification. The exam board should have sampled the work by asking for a random group of students work. We had to do this when there was coursework ...

They should have moderated all work (no algorithm, just simply having teachers justify their predictions).
Original post by lifestartsnow.x
In all honesty, I want completely normal exams to go ahead. I want the satisfaction of knowing I've earned my A Level grades, which was taken away from us at GCSE. A Levels are a process of learning and building on knowledge for 2 years so that by the time the real exams happen, you're ready. I'm not ready yet and neither are most people. Mocks are great for preparation and are a solid contingency plan but honestly I don't think there's a need to cancel them again, unless there is another lockdown where we are out of school, in which case I think normal school should go ahead for years 11 and 13 only. This is of course just my personal opinion, but if year 13's exams are cancelled again, we'll be going to university with absolutely no external exam experience, and we're going to get looked at like mugs in the future. We need actual exams.

This^^^ (I did GCSE exams though at least.
They should have moderated all work (no algorithm, just simply having teachers justify their predictions).

A sample chosen by the board should have been OK [that's how coursework was moderated] and then if there are issues ask for it all.
A sample chosen by the board should have been OK [that's how coursework was moderated] and then if there are issues ask for it all.

Maybe.
in my opinion extra exams may be useful but may also add unnecessary stress on to students. they should be available but optional if you want to get a larger view on how you progress over time however you could complete past papers as an alternative but that would have to be in your own time..
(edited 2 years ago)
Is more mocks not just going to burn us out/stress us out. I can just about handle the stress of sitting the real thing
Original post by thatnerdygirl
in my opinion extra exams may be useful but may also add unnecessary stress on to students. they should be available but optional if you want to get a larger view on how you progress over time however you could complete past papers as an alternative but that would have to be in your own time..

A-levels used to have January A-level exams & year 12 exams, and universities do exams every semester with much shorter revision windows, I don’t think stress and workload is an issue at all. Schools typically only do like 5 hours max teaching per day.

I actually think more exams pre-June year 13 should result in less stress at the end.

(I also think academic stress isn’t s bad thing, it just tends to build your capacity to push further with bigger challenges).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
A-levels used to have January A-level exams & year 12 exams, and universities do exams every semester with much shorter revision windows, I don’t think stress and workload is an issue at all. Schools typically only do like 5 hours max teaching per day.

I actually think more exams pre-June year 13 should result in less stress at the end.

(I also think academic stress isn’t s bad thing, it just tends to build your capacity to push further with bigger challenges).

I think that it's the fact that you have to learn all of the content+extra exams that's the issue. In the rest of the UK and before when you did A-level exams you were pretty much assessed on 1 module at a time in a paper, now in England you are assessed on several modules/pretty much all of the content in 1 paper. I think that's having shorter revision Windows and more exams is an issue now whereas under the modular exams system I personally don't see it as an issue as You're only being assessed on 1 module at a time so less to revise. Those of you doing A-levels in NI and Wales, consider yourself somewhat luckier than us English Peeps for this reason.
I think that it's the fact that you have to learn all of the content+extra exams that's the issue. In the rest of the UK and before when you did A-level exams you were pretty much assessed on 1 module at a time in a paper, now in England you are assessed on several modules/pretty much all of the content in 1 paper. I think that's having shorter revision Windows and more exams is an issue now whereas under the modular exams system I personally don't see it as an issue as You're only being assessed on 1 module at a time so less to revise. Those of you doing A-levels in NI and Wales, consider yourself somewhat luckier than us English Peeps for this reason.

I don’t view this as an issue tbh, the interim papers will probably be scaled to how far through the syllabus at the time an exam is taken.
Reply 37
i just think that people who keep saying we didnt do our gcses in 2020 are just looking fr a fight ur acting as if it was our fault and even this year exams shouldnt go ahead im already stressed out cause of the mocks we have to do i do mocks every half term but i also do fortnightly asessments
then knowing u have to prepare fr 9 papers in may/june withpout knowing ur content inside out
how do u think i feel
how do u think the rest of the country's yr 13 feel who are going to finfih their content in march/april due to last lockdowns delay
also even f they do finish in jan/ feb their content majority of the content will need to be reatught to students cause they dont knw it fromm last year and on top of that theyll have to reteach a level content once theyve properely understood AS
Original post by mnot
I don’t view this as an issue tbh, the interim papers will probably be scaled to how far through the syllabus at the time an exam is taken.

Well I personally do. Having extra exams where you have to learn all of the content is an issue (doesn't apply to NI or Wales). Would rather have standardised mocks made by exam boards that replace the school-made mock exams. In general have no issues with having several exam Windows/extra exams but the exams need to be assessed in modular format and not a linear one like it is in Uni, before etc.
Original post by R_A07
i just think that people who keep saying we didnt do our gcses in 2020 are just looking fr a fight ur acting as if it was our fault and even this year exams shouldnt go ahead im already stressed out cause of the mocks we have to do i do mocks every half term but i also do fortnightly asessments
then knowing u have to prepare fr 9 papers in may/june withpout knowing ur content inside out
how do u think i feel
how do u think the rest of the country's yr 13 feel who are going to finfih their content in march/april due to last lockdowns delay
also even f they do finish in jan/ feb their content majority of the content will need to be reatught to students cause they dont knw it fromm last year and on top of that theyll have to reteach a level content once theyve properely understood AS

Where has anyone in this thread said that it's your fault for having your GCSEs cancelled? For people who did exams last year I can somewhat see it as their fault as there were lots of active petitions asking for the exams to be canceled, didn't see that for the 2020 exams.

You're completely missing the bigger picture. If you guys don't sit your A-level exams (same thing applies to the current Y12 in England) you will walk into uni or whatever without having ever sat an official national exam in your life, as some members on other threads are saying, you could struggle when you get to uni or whatever as you wouldn't have been used to sitting exams in such format unlike the 2021 A-level cohort when they had their exams cancelled (double whammy for those who say for whatever bizarre reason have never done mocks in the hall like most (not me though) would do their exams in the real thing).

Do you not realise that if the exams get cancelled, you would have to sit even more exams? With a shorter time window to revise and all these assessments that you're doing will count towards that grade. I somewhat know how you feel, I was like that last year but trust me, you don't want cancelled exams (assuming that your school is going to be legit and make you do closed book exams only and have a vigorous system to decide CAGs like mine did) it was stressful, less time to revise etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending