Official Speech and Language Therapy applicants thread 2022

Watch this thread
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all!

I noticed that (I don't think) there was a thread for 2022 applicants yet! Here are some questions to start you off:

Undergraduate or Post graduate course?
Which Universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements?
Firm choice? Entry requirements?
Insurance choice? Entry requirements?
Previous (work/shadowing) experience? Any upcoming experience?
Anything else?

I went to Uni to study SLT in 2014, and graduated in 2017, now working as an SLT. So please do let me know if you have any questions, although some things may have changed!
katiemur
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone. I have applied for the MSc SLT in city and UCL. I have my city interview coming up in a few weeks and I am wondering does anyone have any tips that went through the process before? Thank you
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
(Original post by katiemur)
Hi everyone. I have applied for the MSc SLT in city and UCL. I have my city interview coming up in a few weeks and I am wondering does anyone have any tips that went through the process before? Thank you
Hi! Congratulations on the interview! How are you feeling about it? Do you know roughly what the interview consists of? It's been about 8 years since I did my SLT uni interviews so things will have changed. But the main thing is reading up on some different communication and swallowing needs, talking about any work/volunteering experience (and what you learnt from it), and keeping person centred/holistic. Also they'll be listening out for your own communication skills so think about your pacing but also your own listening skills. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat the question, rather than going off on a tangent - if you can, write down any key points let me know if you have any questions!
KelsieWJ
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Undergraduate

Universities of Sheffield, Leeds Beckett, and Leeds Trinity (plus York St. John in English Language and Linguistics then SLT postgrad). They're all ABB (altered requirements for my area), but I'm a mature student.

University of Sheffield, ABB. I'm also applying for a Foundation version of the degree at the same uni.

Leeds Beckett, ABB

Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ in Business Administration, Higher Certificate in English Language and Linguistics, volunteer with Speak With IT, about to start a new position as a teaching assistant at a primary school (will likely ask for opportunities to work with SEN students). Also completed Selby College course of mental health awareness, plus other OpenLearn courses relating to communication difficulties with young people.

Anything else?

I think I'm pretty nervous. I haven't submitted my application yet, though I've had it completed for a while now. I really want to get on the regular 3 year course at Sheffield, though have the foundation as the first back up. I'm just wondering if, even with bad grades at A-Level, if they would still consider me given my experience.
katiemur
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Hi! Congratulations on the interview! How are you feeling about it? Do you know roughly what the interview consists of? It's been about 8 years since I did my SLT uni interviews so things will have changed. But the main thing is reading up on some different communication and swallowing needs, talking about any work/volunteering experience (and what you learnt from it), and keeping person centred/holistic. Also they'll be listening out for your own communication skills so think about your pacing but also your own listening skills. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat the question, rather than going off on a tangent - if you can, write down any key points let me know if you have any questions!
Hi! I actually had my City interview on Friday and today I received an offer! I am so happy! The interview went really well. It was just 10 questions altogether. Thank you very much for your advice
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
(Original post by KelsieWJ)
Undergraduate

Universities of Sheffield, Leeds Beckett, and Leeds Trinity (plus York St. John in English Language and Linguistics then SLT postgrad). They're all ABB (altered requirements for my area), but I'm a mature student.

University of Sheffield, ABB. I'm also applying for a Foundation version of the degree at the same uni.

Leeds Beckett, ABB

Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ in Business Administration, Higher Certificate in English Language and Linguistics, volunteer with Speak With IT, about to start a new position as a teaching assistant at a primary school (will likely ask for opportunities to work with SEN students). Also completed Selby College course of mental health awareness, plus other OpenLearn courses relating to communication difficulties with young people.

Anything else?

I think I'm pretty nervous. I haven't submitted my application yet, though I've had it completed for a while now. I really want to get on the regular 3 year course at Sheffield, though have the foundation as the first back up. I'm just wondering if, even with bad grades at A-Level, if they would still consider me given my experience.
It will depend on other applicants and their level of experience and grades. Generally speaking, the course is competitive (or was when I applied about 8 years ago), so there isn't always that much leeway on grades, but it's possible and not unheard of When do you think you'll submit the application?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Hi! I actually had my City interview on Friday and today I received an offer! I am so happy! The interview went really well. It was just 10 questions altogether. Thank you very much for your advice
That's amazing, well done! :woo: Will you be firming that choice? Or waiting to hear back from UCL?
katiemur
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
That's amazing, well done! :woo: Will you be firming that choice? Or waiting to hear back from UCL?
I think I will accept it! The research they are doing in City seems great and I would like to get involved!
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
I think I will accept it! The research they are doing in City seems great and I would like to get involved!
That's great! What did you do your undergraduate degree in?
KelsieWJ
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
It will depend on other applicants and their level of experience and grades. Generally speaking, the course is competitive (or was when I applied about 8 years ago), so there isn't always that much leeway on grades, but it's possible and not unheard of When do you think you'll submit the application?
I submitted it last week! My application to Leeds was unsuccessful but I'm at least hopeful to the one in Sheffield the foundation one at the very least). We'll see.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
I submitted it last week! My application to Leeds was unsuccessful but I'm at least hopeful to the one in Sheffield the foundation one at the very least). We'll see.
Woo well done! That's a shame about Leeds but it happens! I had 1 of my 5 rejected before interview and ended up with 3 offers after interview. It's quite rare to get all 5! Fingers crossed for the others including the foundation course! Is that a year course? I don't think it existed when I applied
KelsieWJ
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Woo well done! That's a shame about Leeds but it happens! I had 1 of my 5 rejected before interview and ended up with 3 offers after interview. It's quite rare to get all 5! Fingers crossed for the others including the foundation course! Is that a year course? I don't think it existed when I applied
So it's the same SaLT course but it has a foundation year first, which is usually there to help prep mature students for uni life and pass some core modules that might relate to the course! I don't mind doing it as it's only a year, but I'm hoping to bypass it and get straight onto the core SaLT course.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
So it's the same SaLT course but it has a foundation year first, which is usually there to help prep mature students for uni life and pass some core modules that might relate to the course! I don't mind doing it as it's only a year, but I'm hoping to bypass it and get straight onto the core SaLT course.
Oh that's good that they offer that do you know if they take many on the course per cohort?
KelsieWJ
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Oh that's good that they offer that do you know if they take many on the course per cohort?
I've no idea, to be honest. I presume it's just as competitive as the regular course, but I'm hoping my personal statement is strong enough to stand out haha. Hopefully it all works out.
johoult
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
How long do Leeds Beckett and Sheffield generally take to get back to people, does anybody know?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
I've no idea, to be honest. I presume it's just as competitive as the regular course, but I'm hoping my personal statement is strong enough to stand out haha. Hopefully it all works out.
Yeah fingers crossed for you! How did you find the application process?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
(Original post by johoult)
How long do Leeds Beckett and Sheffield generally take to get back to people, does anybody know?
It will likely vary depending on how many applications they receive, how many members of staff are looking over them etc. When did you submit yours?
KelsieWJ
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Yeah fingers crossed for you! How did you find the application process?
I think it was pretty straight forward. I remembered parts from when I applied in 2015 and not much seems to have changed.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
I think it was pretty straight forward. I remembered parts from when I applied in 2015 and not much seems to have changed.
Oh I didn't realise you had applied before sorry! Did you do a different course or work/gain more experience in the meantime?
KelsieWJ
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Oh I didn't realise you had applied before sorry! Did you do a different course or work/gain more experience in the meantime?
That's okay! So I completed my first year of a English Language & Linguistics And Literature in 2017. I had to leave due to mental health so I went and did a couple of apprenticeships and worked at a college for a while. Since then I've moved to a job at a primary school as a teaching assistant, have been doing some online courses, and have been volunteering with Speak With IT (A fab charity btw!). So I've had some time to grow and I think I'm ready for uni now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (0)
0%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (0)
0%
It was TERRIBLE (0)
0%

Watched Threads