yellowsubm4rine
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, just thought I'd ask to see how other people have gotten on applying for medicine at Edinburgh. I'm predicted 4A*s at A Level and got 2800 in my UCAT, I was really happy with my personal statement but have been rejected. It's knocked my confidence a bit for my other choices now as I'm not sure what's gone wrong, maybe my UCAT wasn't high enough? Any comments would be appreciated!
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by yellowsubm4rine)
Hi, just thought I'd ask to see how other people have gotten on applying for medicine at Edinburgh. I'm predicted 4A*s at A Level and got 2800 in my UCAT, I was really happy with my personal statement but have been rejected. It's knocked my confidence a bit for my other choices now as I'm not sure what's gone wrong, maybe my UCAT wasn't high enough? Any comments would be appreciated!
becausethenight
ClarissaBella
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sorry. Don't be discouraged. Your stats are great. Edinburgh has very few places for outside Scotland. My daughter has a friend who began Medical School at Oxford this year, and he was rejected from Edinburgh without interview.
Angiogram1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably need UCAT over 3000 and band 1 for Edinburgh if UK not Scottish applicant - so few places available
Charliemarwing
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Edinburgh do not look at personal statement and is by far the most competitive UCAT university for RUK students. Try not to be disheartened, it sounds like a great application
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:
As other people have said, Edinburgh is almost impossible to get into if you're not Scottish, and it's a shame you didn't find TSR when you were making your choices as we could have advised you on that. 2800 is an excellent UCAT score but with the competition this year, I can forsee several unis it would likely not make the cut at, and unfortunately Edinburgh is one of them. But if you've applied smartly, there's no reason you couldn't now have 3 interviews either.
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
becausethenight
Thanks for the tag
yellowsubm4rine
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ClarissaBella)
I'm sorry. Don't be discouraged. Your stats are great. Edinburgh has very few places for outside Scotland. My daughter has a friend who began Medical School at Oxford this year, and he was rejected from Edinburgh without interview.
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm sorry to hear he got rejected too, it seems like the general consensus is that most applicants from outside Scotland have been rejected this year, I hope he does well with his other choices!
yellowsubm4rine
Rep:
(Original post by Angiogram1)
Probably need UCAT over 3000 and band 1 for Edinburgh if UK not Scottish applicant - so few places available
Yeah, that seems to be the case for most applicants outside of Scotland, thanks for the reply!
yellowsubm4rine
Rep:
(Original post by Charliemarwing)
Edinburgh do not look at personal statement and is by far the most competitive UCAT university for RUK students. Try not to be disheartened, it sounds like a great application
Ahh, that makes sense, it's so competitive this year! Thank you for the reply
yellowsubm4rine
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)
I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:
As other people have said, Edinburgh is almost impossible to get into if you're not Scottish, and it's a shame you didn't find TSR when you were making your choices as we could have advised you on that. 2800 is an excellent UCAT score but with the competition this year, I can forsee several unis it would likely not make the cut at, and unfortunately Edinburgh is one of them. But if you've applied smartly, there's no reason you couldn't now have 3 interviews either.
Thank you for the reply! Edinburgh was one of my aspirational choices, thankfully, so my whole application wasn't banking on it, but I hadn't realised how few non-Scottish students they take on, I'll definitely pass that on to any future applicants I know!
tetrad4444
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
what does RUK mean
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply! Edinburgh was one of my aspirational choices, thankfully, so my whole application wasn't banking on it, but I hadn't realised how few non-Scottish students they take on, I'll definitely pass that on to any future applicants I know!
Aspirational choices for medicine are risky - you only get 4, so we’d really encourage people to try and go for 4 guaranteed interviews.

Good luck for the rest of your application and your other choices
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tetrad4444)
what does RUK mean
'Rest of UK' - that is, a UK applicant not from Scotland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.99%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.1%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.69%
Finding the motivation (22)
24.18%
Getting distracted (14)
15.38%
Procrastination (36)
39.56%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.1%

Watched Threads