Aspiring123
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I would like to apply for medicine and the personal statement is quite short compared to how many things I want to write.

I am currently taking part in the 'Bar Mock trial' competition, which is, whilst completely unrelated to medicine, is for my interest in debating and public speaking.

Would putting my participation in the competition add to my personal statement due to the communication skills I would've developed? Or is it better to leave it out due to its apparent irrelevance?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aspiring123)
I would like to apply for medicine and the personal statement is quite short compared to how many things I want to write.

I am currently taking part in the 'Bar Mock trial' competition, which is, whilst completely unrelated to medicine, is for my interest in debating and public speaking.

Would putting my participation in the competition add to my personal statement due to the communication skills I would've developed? Or is it better to leave it out due to its apparent irrelevance?
You have nearly 11 months before the deadline... what's the hurry?

Anyway here are some example Medine PSs for you to read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...nal-statements

I would also suggest that any further questions and replies are posted in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6902612. It's where all the 2023 med applicants hang out.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
gingur
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Like the other poster says, you have almost an entire year to apply, don't fret that it's too short yet. I didn't start mine till the summer.

Either way, in regards to this competition, medical schools care less about what you actually did but what you learnt from it. What skills did you learn from the competition? Why is this useful to being a doctor? What would you have done differently and why is this better?
WHW123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Aspiring123)

You can definitely put that in...you just have to make it applicable to medicine e.g. demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively & how important this is when treating patients & explaining diagnoses etc.
Aspiring123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah its in a long way, I just want to make sure I have enough things to write about that covers everything. Don't want any regrets in July wishing I could've done something else that year!

But yeah I think I'm definitely going to write it because it was a good experience that made me a much better public speaker, and communication comes in handy for any job, not just medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (5)
9.8%
Okay (18)
35.29%
A bit lacking (14)
27.45%
Not good at all (14)
27.45%

Watched Threads