stivjozi
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all.
I really want to do a PGCE in Sept 2022. I have looked on the eligibility for a student loan. It says I would only get £6,000 given my and my partners income. That seems insane as I obviously won't be working at my current job during the PGCE and therefore will have 0 income. I am 27 and have a mortgage. There's no way I could financially support myself.
Do you not get paid for teaching time on a university lead PGCE? How does anyone ever afford to do it? Have a completely misunderstood something or is this right?!
Please help.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by stivjozi)
Hello all.
I really want to do a PGCE in Sept 2022. I have looked on the eligibility for a student loan. It says I would only get £6,000 given my and my partners income. That seems insane as I obviously won't be working at my current job during the PGCE and therefore will have 0 income. I am 27 and have a mortgage. There's no way I could financially support myself.
Do you not get paid for teaching time on a university lead PGCE? How does anyone ever afford to do it? Have a completely misunderstood something or is this right?!
Please help.
What subject are you looking to teach? Some shortage subjects (maths, chemistry, physics, computer science, and some others) offer a bursary.

Other options if you aren't able to live off of student finance:
- Salaried School Direct route - my understanding is that these courses usually expect you to have a lot of school experience, for example, having worked as a TA for a few years
- Teach First - this route has its flaws and you should definitely research plenty before signing up, but it is one way to get paid while you train
stivjozi
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I just want to do general primary, not a specific subject. No schools in my area do school direct and unfortunately I can't do teach first as you have to be willing to relocate, and I can't as I have a house etc.

I do have enough experience to do school direct, but I just can't seem to find any where I live. There was one but they have just been taken off the list for school direct 🤷
Last edited by stivjozi; 3 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by stivjozi)
I just want to do general primary, not a specific subject. No schools in my area do school direct and unfortunately I can't do teach first as you have to be willing to relocate, and I can't as I have a house etc.

I do have enough experience to do school direct, but I just can't seem to find any where I live. There was one but they have just been taken off the list for school direct 🤷
Ultimately, unfortunately, there are enough people willing to train to teach at primary level without additional pay that the government don't need to pay people to train to be primary teachers.

The only other option of a paid route is if you could find a school who would allow you to teach as an unqualified teacher, and then qualify via the assessment only route.

Otherwise, if you really want to be a primary teacher, you could either save up to make up a shortfall in salary or look at the kinds of work you could do around the course (e.g. holiday clubs, tutoring, babysitting, after school clubs etc).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads