Maximum time commuting to uni

Watch
kk15405
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah what the topic is above. What is the maximum time you would spend commuting to university. I have started looking at universities for the course I would like to study (Medicine, like 10000 other people here are as well lol). I've been looking at St Georges in SE London however it's a 1.5 hour journey on the Underground which will see me go into Central London and come out of again.

Do you think that is possible for a 5 year degree?

I'm applying for entry in 2023, so I do have some time to think about it btw
Last edited by kk15405; 2 weeks ago
Wibble04
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it just depends on what you would be comfortable with doing, cause it would mean getting up a lot earlier etc. If you think the university and the course are worth it, as well as actually being able to finance the travel and living costs cause London is really expensive, then it might be ok?
jenerous
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
It is possible, but I would only commute that far for that long amount of period if it is absolutely necessary.
It can take a toll on you, and would not be the best option. But of course, it depends on what you are regularly used to, in regards to commuting, and what you intend to get out from your course and University.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I did an hour ish commute and it was OK.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kk15405)
Yeah what the topic is above. What is the maximum time you would spend commuting to university. I have started looking at universities for the course I would like to study (Medicine, like 10000 other people here are as well lol). I've been looking at St Georges in SE London however it's a 1.5 hour journey on the Underground which will see me go into Central London and come out of again.

It's too long - what if there are delays.

Medicine is a full-on course - you can't waste the time travelling. Why can't you live in halls?
Last edited by Muttley79; 2 weeks ago
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
that's 3 hours of the day gone just by traveling, i dont think its worth it
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I did a two hour commute to university (there and back) for about a year (this was five years ago) and it was ****ing awful.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
My regular commute is 1 hour but can be 1.5 hours once a fortnight. In the past, it has been 2 hours once a week.
kk15405
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
My regular commute is 1 hour but can be 1.5 hours once a fortnight. In the past, it has been 2 hours once a week.
how did you find it
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
how did you find it
Commuting 1 hour is fine, but the maximum I’d regularly do is 1.5 hours. 2 hours each way leaves you with very little time and energy to be productive once you get home.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 weeks ago
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
The longest commutes I know in HK are more than 1.5 hours long. We often use public transport so it is typically longer.
Case 1: Minibus to Fanling station, then Fanling>Tai Wai>Diamond Hill on the MTR, then bus 91/91M/91P to HKUST.
Case 2: Bus 261 from Siu Hong to Sheung Shui, MTR from Sheung Shui to Tai Po Market, Bus 74K from Tai Po Market station to EduHK.
Case 3: Bus 259D from Tuen Mun to Choi Hung, then bus 91/91M/91P to HKUST. (May reach 2 hours, if the highway traffic is bad)
These are quite long compared to mine from Diamond Hill, which is just a 30-minute bus ride on route 91/91M/91P. I commuted home last night with around 15 CCC members. The first got off the bus at Choi Wan, with a bunch getting off at Choi Hung Station. Four other guys got off at the next stop (a key interchange stop to longer buses), and I was the only one of the batch still on the bus.
Last edited by 8013; 2 weeks ago
ashtolga23
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally an hour would be pushing it.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I did 6.

This is partly why I'm so mean to the anons to this day.
kk15405
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
I did 6.

This is partly why I'm so mean to the anons to this day.
sorry what? a 6 hour commute per day??
black tea
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
The maximum for me at uni was a 50 minute walk. I regularly commute 1.5-2 hours for work and it's exhausting, I can't imagine doing that on top of a really intense degree.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
sorry what? a 6 hour commute per day??
Yeah pretty much, 5.5 some days and I wasn't in every day tbf

Glasgow >> Edinburgh and back, 2 trains and a bus each way. Was only Uni in Scotland that offered what I wanted and I didn't want to move.
kk15405
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah pretty much, 5.5 some days and I wasn't in every day tbf

Glasgow >> Edinburgh and back, 2 trains and a bus each way. Was only Uni in Scotland that offered what I wanted and I didn't want to move.
i- jesus christ man what degree you doing bro
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
i- jesus christ man what degree you doing bro
Horticulture

I was actually just finishing my HND at the time, I decided not to stay for the last year of the BSc for now... partly that commute, partly the mess of Covid etc. (I don't really need it tbh, I'm self employed)
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Don’t do it I needed to commute for an hour a day each way (while I looked for a place final year) and it was awful I felt out of it and a big part of university is you are immersed in it living in halls or later a shared student house. You’ll be knackered and with a course like medicine it’s not even worth considering I’d even say an hour is a bit too long. I usually say anymore than half an hour don’t commute really you’ll have a lot more fun and a more comfortable time if you have a place nearby you can retreat to if you need or want to
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I did an hour ish commute and it was OK.
Why? Why was it ok just saying it was ok really doesn’t help pros cons something like that what was good what sucked and didn’t you feel a bit left out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads