HPV vaccine

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I went for a smear test today and asked about getting the HPV vaccine (I am 33 so missed out on getting it at school).

The doctor told me she doesn't recommend it for people over 25. Plus I've been married for 8 years so obviously don't sleep around. I thought you could pick it up anyway, no? But she seemed to suggest my chance is close to/is zero.

Anyone heard this?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I would listen to what my health care professional tells me, rather than ask the opinions of random strangers who probably don’t know better.

There are certainly vaccines which are not recommended above a certain age: the BCG vaccine (for TB) is one of them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I would listen to what my health care professional tells me, rather than ask the opinions of random strangers who probably don’t know better.

There are certainly vaccines which are not recommended above a certain age: the BCG vaccine (for TB) is one of them.
I had read on NHS guidelines that it's ok to give until 35.

But she seemed to suggest that because I'm in a monogamous relationship, I can't get it. I wasn't aware of that, I thought anyone could get it?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)

But she seemed to suggest that because I'm in a monogamous relationship, I can't get it. I wasn't aware of that, I thought anyone could get it?
By "it" I mean HPV
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago

You said yourself that your doctor doesn’t recommend that you get it, not that you can’t get it. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but if you can’t get it on the NHS, you’ll have to pay to have it privately.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You said yourself that your doctor doesn’t recommend that you get it, not that you can’t get it. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but if you can’t get it on the NHS, you’ll have to pay to have it privately.
Well, I mean if I can't get HPV then there's no point getting the vaccine. Obviously. But I thought I could still get it through means other than my husband sleeping around. I trust him but I thought there were other methods of transmission. No?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, I mean if I can't get HPV then there's no point getting the vaccine. Obviously. But I thought I could still get it through means other than my husband sleeping around. I trust him but I thought there were other methods of transmission. No?
https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/human-...oma-virus-hpv/
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Oh I see. So I'm good.....I was a virgin and so was my husband. Reading those links it seems like only sex spreads it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
8.33%
Okay (7)
29.17%
A bit lacking (7)
29.17%
Not good at all (8)
33.33%

Watched Threads