work outside french class...what?! Watch

This discussion is closed.
viciouscircle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
im currently studying as level french and im absolutely dying to do it at uni but this year i'm not feeling as confident and im not as ahead as I was at GCSE. I've never had to revise for a french test before and now I'm averaging Bs. Can anyone give me any advice on how to not get left behind. Should I be doing outside reading? If so, can you recommend anything? Or should I be fanatically learning vocab? Someone please give me a boot up the backside and tell me what I should be doing!!!

all help much appreciated
Richy Rich$$
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
try and read lots .eg french newspapers online, Le monde etc. But if u dont have lots of time, there s a book called Mot a Mot by Humberstone- u can prob find it on amazon, which has excelllent vocab for the major topics and include some of those phrases in ure essays and ure sorted. Also use the subjunctive ( probably in back of textbook)or learn set phrases like Bienqu'il y ait beaucoup de problemes sociaux .....THat will sound really impressive. Generally good grammar, .e.g very solid understanding of tenses and agreements will make ure french sound good. And if u cud use the subjunctive or the passive with right agreement e.g les rues sont encombrees.( the roads are cluttered up) then u ll be even set for A2. But just do it slowly and build up ure knowledge gradually.
tash087
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Richy Rich$$)
try and read lots .eg french newspapers online, Le monde etc. But if u dont have lots of time, there s a book called Mot a Mot by Humberstone- u can prob find it on amazon, which has excelllent vocab for the major topics and include some of those phrases in ure essays and ure sorted. Also use the subjunctive ( probably in back of textbook)or learn set phrases like Bienqu'il y ait beaucoup de problemes sociaux .....THat will sound really impressive. Generally good grammar, .e.g very solid understanding of tenses and agreements will make ure french sound good. And if u cud use the subjunctive or the passive with right agreement e.g les rues sont encombrees.( the roads are cluttered up) then u ll be even set for A2. But just do it slowly and build up ure knowledge gradually.
I agree... the subjunctive is always a good one to know solidly, i like using the "bien qu'il y ait..." and "il faut qu'on fasse..." or "pour qu'on puisse..."

If you have Sky TV there's a french channel, which my teachers always advise us to watch from time to time. (Although i doubt how much any of us watch it, unless the teachers make it part of our work!) Or there are some french magazines for AS/A2 level, my school subscribes to them for all of us... i think the AS one is called "Etincelle" and the A2 one is "Authentik." Both are a magazine with the latest issues in the country and come with a listening tape and some exercises to do relating to the issues in the magazine.

Also i use a book called "Advanced French Vocabulary" by Philip Horsfall, which our school purchased a copy for each of us. It's fantastic... especially for all really impressive essay phrases, which are also brilliant for the oral!
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just learn grammar. All the time. Practice and practice and practice, and you're onto a winner.
viciouscircle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
thanks guys - just ordered some books of amazon and i WILL read them-im determined!!! does anyone know the name or muber of the french channel on sky digital? had a flick through but couldn't find it - should have it tho!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viciouscircle)
thanks guys - just ordered some books of amazon and i WILL read them-im determined!!! does anyone know the name or muber of the french channel on sky digital? had a flick through but couldn't find it - should have it tho!
If you have Euro News, I think you can change the language into French. I don't think I have it though- mine's Telewest, not Sky
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also i use a book called "Advanced French Vocabulary" by Philip Horsfall, which our school purchased a copy for each of us. It's fantastic... especially for all really impressive essay phrases, which are also brilliant for the oral![/QUOTE]

I agree, I have that book too and it's great
smallthoms
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viciouscircle)
I have Sky and it is channel 825.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?