hapiolen
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I chose to do a extended diploma in applied science in a sixth form and was convinced by the teacher that it was right for me instead of a levels . I now realised the school pick the optional units for us as its biomedical science and in uni most of the courses for applied science require certain chemistry units which this course does not have

However another college with the exact same examboard and same units(compulsory units) for the 1st year with the bascially same course applied science , with this course ill be able to do most courses related to it in uni

I have applied to this course in yr 11 but didn't take the offer.

My school have already completed the unit one exam and my other friend in the other college has done his unit one exam aswell , its a mock exam btw

Could i still transfer now ?
Last edited by hapiolen; 2 weeks ago
grey-giraffe
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
You need to contact the college directly. They may not accept transfers or their course may be at capacity this year. Don't worry about it too much if you can't transfer, there are other options. Look at trying to do A Level Chemistry if you can't transfer, as a lot of universities require applicants with a BTEC to have an A Level in the subject they're applying for.
hapiolen
Rep:
(Original post by grey-giraffe)
You need to contact the college directly. They may not accept transfers or their course may be at capacity this year. Don't worry about it too much if you can't transfer, there are other options. Look at trying to do A Level Chemistry if you can't transfer, as a lot of universities require applicants with a BTEC to have an A Level in the subject they're applying for.
Could i still transfer at the start of year 13 ?
skylark2
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hapiolen)
Could i still transfer at the start of year 13 ?
If you want to transfer, do it now - why would you wait? You are unlikely to be able to transfer after an entire year of the course, though you should be able to restart year 12 somewhere else next year unless you are already old for your year.

Like someone else said, whether you transfer or not you should do some research urgently into whether your BTEC will be enough qualification to do the degree courses you are interested in - in multiple places so you're not in a mess if you don't get an offer from the only one you're qualified for. There's a difference between "accepted" and "sufficient".
hapiolen
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
If you want to transfer, do it now - why would you wait? You are unlikely to be able to transfer after an entire year of the course, though you should be able to restart year 12 somewhere else next year unless you are already old for your year.

Like someone else said, whether you transfer or not you should do some research urgently into whether your BTEC will be enough qualification to do the degree courses you are interested in - in multiple places so you're not in a mess if you don't get an offer from the only one you're qualified for. There's a difference between "accepted" and "sufficient".
The course im doing now is the exact same for the first year in the other college so i dont think i will "struggle" with content ,it is also the same examboard
So this course in the new college will let me do lots of courses rather than picking a couple from specific places

Do you think theyll be spaces for applied science and would i even be allowed to transfer ?
skylark2
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
They could only be half full or they could be overflowing. You will need to ask them.

The issue isn't going to be whether the course is the same after two years, it will be whether you have completed the same bits of it that they have after one year, or one term, or however long it is until you transfer. If the first year is exactly the same, transferring at the end of the year may be the best option. Again, you need to ask them. It doesn't matter how many people you ask to guess on here.
hapiolen
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
They could only be half full or they could be overflowing. You will need to ask them.

The issue isn't going to be whether the course is the same after two years, it will be whether you have completed the same bits of it that they have after one year, or one term, or however long it is until you transfer. If the first year is exactly the same, transferring at the end of the year may be the best option. Again, you need to ask them. It doesn't matter how many people you ask to guess on here.
Yes we have completed the same work as it is in order

Unit 1 and unit 3 for this year (exams) and unit 5 and unit 7 exams next year.

My friend is in this college and is telling me what they have done which we have also done , i maybe a lesson behind or a lesson ahead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (26)
10%
Okay (76)
29.23%
A bit lacking (96)
36.92%
Not good at all (62)
23.85%

Watched Threads