The Student Room Group

Getting a training contract with a 2:2?

I attended a Russell Group university and graduated in Politics and Economic with a 2:2 due to health reasons as well as the fact that I despised my course.

Since then I have completed my GDL at BPP where I was awarded a Commendation and I am currently doing my LPC and well on my way to getting a Distinction.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach getting a TC, will it even be possible to get one with my 2:2 at undergrad? What is the best way to approach this issue since I am indeed a capable student with a strong desire to become a solicitor, I just struggled with my undergrad due to the aforementioned reasons.
Original post by Legalitygox
I attended a Russell Group university and graduated in Politics and Economic with a 2:2 due to health reasons as well as the fact that I despised my course.

Since then I have completed my GDL at BPP where I was awarded a Commendation and I am currently doing my LPC and well on my way to getting a Distinction.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach getting a TC, will it even be possible to get one with my 2:2 at undergrad? What is the best way to approach this issue since I am indeed a capable student with a strong desire to become a solicitor, I just struggled with my undergrad due to the aforementioned reasons.

How competitive you are depends on a lot of factors but with a 2:2 your odds are pretty slim.

A couple of things:
-to what extent did your health problems affect your undergrad? Was it one really bad year you couldn't recover from or were your results poor for three straight years? Do you have evidence of your health problems over all the years you claim it affects?

My thought when reading this is, if you knew making up for your 2:2 was important, why only the commendation on the GDL? A distinction on the LPC doesn't mean much as most people get one, so the GDL was your only real chance to show academic strength.
Original post by Legalitygox

Hi @Legalitygox

It is not impossible to obtain a training contract with a 2:2, although in all honestly it may not be an easy journey.

Bear in mind that when it comes to submitting your applications, there is almost always a given box for “mitigating circumstances” where you can explain your individual circumstances.

There are also a number of firms which set their minimum entry requirements at a 2:2 level so it is worth taking the time to look around for those firms as well.

In terms of tips for applying for training contracts, I would continue to build on your work experience. Look to undertake as much relevant experience as you can to help you stand out from the crowd.

I hope this is of some help!

Best of luck with your applications.

James

ULaw Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending