The Student Room Group

GCSE’s and University

Is it worth applying to a university if you miss the GCSE requirement by one grade but have a strong personal statement?
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
Is it worth applying to a university if you miss the GCSE requirement by one grade but have a strong personal statement?

No if you miss a GCSE requirement in English Language or Maths it is an automatic rejection unless you are resitting that GCSE.
Original post by swanseajack1
No if you miss a GCSE requirement in English Language or Maths it is an automatic rejection unless you are resitting that GCSE.

Oh right, thank you !
Oh right, thank you !

If you were to re sit the university will view your application in the usual way and add achieving the necessary GCSE grade as a condition. You wouldnt get your place confirmed until GCSE results day. More often than not it is usually Maths grades students dont have and a Maths requirement is needed because of the Maths content in the course for subjects like Computer Science, Economics and Psychology.
If you were to re sit the university will view your application in the usual way and add achieving the necessary GCSE grade as a condition. You wouldnt get your place confirmed until GCSE results day. More often than not it is usually Maths grades students dont have and a Maths requirement is needed because of the Maths content in the course for subjects like Computer Science, Economics and Psychology.

I take Psychology, Sociology, Geography and Philosophy and my GCSE profile is 9888766655. I was just hoping in some cases universities would overlook one grade. I got a 5 in Maths but needed a 6 : ( and resits were early November and I didn’t get a chance to appeal
I take Psychology, Sociology, Geography and Philosophy and my GCSE profile is 9888766655. I was just hoping in some cases universities would overlook one grade. I got a 5 in Maths but needed a 6 : ( and resits were early November and I didn’t get a chance to appeal

You can re sit it next June and the results will be out in August, If you meet your A level grades your firm choice will not confirm your place until your GCSE results. If you achieve grade 6 they will confirm your place. If you dont meet it then you will be rejected.

Universities have different requirements and some wont have the same GCSE need. Some will not require grade 6. Bath for Psychology require a 7,

Spending more time on your Maths would be more beneficial for you than taking 4 A levels as no university looks for more than 3.

I assume the course you are looking at is Psychology as that is usually one of those with a Maths requirement, Usually universities dont have a Maths requirement for subjects like Sociology, Philosophy, Politics amd Law.
You can re sit it next June and the results will be out in August, If you meet your A level grades your firm choice will not confirm your place until your GCSE results. If you achieve grade 6 they will confirm your place. If you dont meet it then you will be rejected.

Universities have different requirements and some wont have the same GCSE need. Some will not require grade 6. Bath for Psychology require a 7,

Spending more time on your Maths would be more beneficial for you than taking 4 A levels as no university looks for more than 3.

I assume the course you are looking at is Psychology as that is usually one of those with a Maths requirement, Usually universities dont have a Maths requirement for subjects like Sociology, Philosophy, Politics amd Law.

No I want to take Management and Marketing or something along the lines of it. I’m dropping Philosophy, my skl requires us to take 4 for AS for some reason. My target grades are already AAAA
No I want to take Management and Marketing or something along the lines of it. I’m dropping Philosophy, my skl requires us to take 4 for AS for some reason. My target grades are already AAAA

Management. Marketing and Business often have a Maths requirement. It is the level of Maths a university requires to be able to cope with their course. You really need to re sit your Maths or look for universities that dont have that requirement or change your course to a less Mathematical subject.
As an example East Anglia just requires grade 4 Maths and English for its Management and Marketing course

GCSE Requirements: GCSE English Language grade 4 or C and GCSE Mathematics grade 4 or C.

Exeter requires grade B or 5

GCSE Maths grade B or 5
(edited 2 years ago)

Honestly? No. GCSE subject requirements aren't like A level standard offers (for which often the actual subjects are irrelevant). They are there because they think that level of understanding of that specific subject is necessary to cope with the course. You're going to have to demonstrate that you have it and that means resitting. It doesn't matter that you haven't got it yet, it will just be part of your conditional offer if you get one.

I agree with the people who said that you would be much better off dropping your least relevant / weakest A level and spending the time making absolutely sure you get a 6 or more in maths. Or, if you can't face it, just apply for courses which will accept your 5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending