Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have a group presentation next week and I'm feeling really nervous.
It's embarrassing because I only have one slide to read whilst everyone else in my group has like 3-5 slides to read.

I've heard that doing more presentations (not avoiding them), knowing your topic well, practicing in front of others/mirror, taking deep breaths etc. are useful but they never work for me. In fact, each time I present, my nervousness just gets worse.

Are there any tips on how to present well and not feel nervous?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's embarrassing because I only have one slide to read whilst everyone else in my group has like 3-5 slides to read.

I've heard that doing more presentations (not avoiding them), knowing your topic well, practicing in front of others/mirror, taking deep breaths etc. are useful but they never work for me. In fact, each time I present, my nervousness just gets worse.

Just be confident you wrote the thing and as you say it's only 1 slide and you wrote it drink some water so you don't get dry mouth deep breath and talk lots of people feel nervous talking in front of a group (I didn't but...) you'll be fine once you start talking it just getting that first word out you'll be ok you just need to be brave at least there are other people in your group most of mine were solo.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi!

I use to feel really nervous for presentations. tips that worked for me...
- wear a wring or something that you can take on and off throughout the presentation. Doing this behind your back means the audience cannot see and makes you look more confident, it gives you a distraction.
- don't look people in the eye, look at the top of their heads. This gives the illusion that you are able to give eye contact and again look more confident.
- practice giving the presentation to your mates, as you'll get the practice in

remember after your first presentation, once it's over you'll feel so much more confident being able to complete it.
If you need further advice going and speak to academic support, they will be able to offer you some really good advice for presentations.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I've heard that it is possible to trick your brain into thinking that you're actually excited for the presentation instead of nervous, by just telling yourself that.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Just be confident you wrote the thing and as you say it's only 1 slide and you wrote it drink some water so you don't get dry mouth deep breath and talk lots of people feel nervous talking in front of a group (I didn't but...) you'll be fine once you start talking it just getting that first word out you'll be ok you just need to be brave at least there are other people in your group most of mine were solo.
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I use to feel really nervous for presentations. tips that worked for me...
- wear a wring or something that you can take on and off throughout the presentation. Doing this behind your back means the audience cannot see and makes you look more confident, it gives you a distraction.
- don't look people in the eye, look at the top of their heads. This gives the illusion that you are able to give eye contact and again look more confident.
- practice giving the presentation to your mates, as you'll get the practice in

remember after your first presentation, once it's over you'll feel so much more confident being able to complete it.
If you need further advice going and speak to academic support, they will be able to offer you some really good advice for presentations.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
I've heard that it is possible to trick your brain into thinking that you're actually excited for the presentation instead of nervous, by just telling yourself that.
hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I did my presentation today at 1pm and even though I was realllllyyyyy nervous, I did much better than I thought! My group was so understanding and kind so it kind of gave me a bit of support but yeah I didn't mess up for once!!! :heart:
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I did my presentation today at 1pm and even though I was realllllyyyyy nervous, I did much better than I thought! My group was so understanding and kind so it kind of gave me a bit of support but yeah I didn't mess up for once!!! :heart:
Good job.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Good job.
thank you!!! And thanks for your advice on drinking water and being brave!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi!

Glad to hear it went well! you should be really proud of yourself. I hope you get a good mark for it.

Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

Glad to hear it went well! you should be really proud of yourself. I hope you get a good mark for it.

oh it was a formative(?) presentation so I won't be assessed. But thank you for your support
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.17%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.97%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.36%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.54%
Getting distracted (44)
18.64%
Procrastination (79)
33.47%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.42%

Watched Threads