boba_drinker
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi so like im in my second year of sixth form and i keep getting Cs and Ds I've actually got rid of my phone (temporarily) and have a nokia so i can focus on my studies - and i do study i cover exam qs and everything but no matter what i do i get Cs and Ds and I'm starting to worry about my grades, has anyone whose been through something similar or has any piece of advice to help me - I'm taking bio chem and psych btw (with a short course of core maths )
lifestartsnow.x
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by boba_drinker)
hi so like im in my second year of sixth form and i keep getting Cs and Ds I've actually got rid of my phone (temporarily) and have a nokia so i can focus on my studies - and i do study i cover exam qs and everything but no matter what i do i get Cs and Ds and I'm starting to worry about my grades, has anyone whose been through something similar or has any piece of advice to help me - I'm taking bio chem and psych btw (with a short course of core maths )
Heya, this may not solve the problem but offer some reassurance that you're not alone instead. I'm in year 13 too and I got DDD in my end of year 12 mocks, my final predicted grades are BCC but I know I can do better than that. I'm currently in mock week so I'm really hoping I get at least CCC so I can get BBB next mocks and hopefully, AAA by the real thing. I'm doing psych, Eng Lit and geography, no matter what I do I get C's and D's too, it can be disheartening but you can't give up now, we're so close to the end!

Message if you need a chat or help with psych and we can work through it together!
S9123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
I am also in year 13 taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. My advice would be the following:
a) Believe in yourself - sometimes having the belief that you will do well can do wonders
b) Make sure you are confident with your AO1. Participate as much as possible in class, even if you get answers wrong, it will help lock those key ideas from each subject into you.
c) Continue to practice, practice, and more practice (but only after you're confident with your basic AO1 knowledge); ask teachers about anything you're unsure
d) Don't let those previous grades put your down. Use them as a reason to do well - look at your past papers, write down the topics you did the worse in.

If you need any help with Biology or Chemistry or Maths, feel free to message me privately and I'll do my best to assist. You can do this. I believe in you. A few months and this will be all done!!
boba_drinker
Rep:
(Original post by lifestartsnow.x)
Heya, this may not solve the problem but offer some reassurance that you're not alone instead. I'm in year 13 too and I got DDD in my end of year 12 mocks, my final predicted grades are BCC but I know I can do better than that. I'm currently in mock week so I'm really hoping I get at least CCC so I can get BBB next mocks and hopefully, AAA by the real thing. I'm doing psych, Eng Lit and geography, no matter what I do I get C's and D's too, it can be disheartening but you can't give up now, we're so close to the end!

Message if you need a chat or help with psych and we can work through it together!
i dont like the fact that were closer to the end tho i need more time
boba_drinker
Rep:
(Original post by S9123)
Hi,
I am also in year 13 taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. My advice would be the following:
a) Believe in yourself - sometimes having the belief that you will do well can do wonders
b) Make sure you are confident with your AO1. Participate as much as possible in class, even if you get answers wrong, it will help lock those key ideas from each subject into you.
c) Continue to practice, practice, and more practice (but only after you're confident with your basic AO1 knowledge); ask teachers about anything you're unsure
d) Don't let those previous grades put your down. Use them as a reason to do well - look at your past papers, write down the topics you did the worse in.

If you need any help with Biology or Chemistry or Maths, feel free to message me privately and I'll do my best to assist. You can do this. I believe in you. A few months and this will be all done!!
i know i should know this but what do you mean by AO1 ?
sufys12
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I think it's 'assessment objective 1'.
S9123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It is totally fine to be unsure!
-AO1 is the basic stuff that you're taught by your teacher (Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of scientific ideas, processes, techniques and
procedures.)
-AO2 is applying that knowledge to different contexts and situations
-AO3: Analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific information, ideas and evidence, including in relation
to issues, to:
• make judgements and reach conclusions
• develop and refine practical design and procedures.
username4933106
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lifestartsnow.x)

Hii, not op but kinda struggling. I also do English lit and geography is it ok if I message u?
AliceRoseGuy
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's never too late to improve your grades.

Finding alternative material online to read, listen to and take notes on, will help. I also like to, for psychology, watch a YouTuber called Dr Elliot Carthy who is a Psychiatrist; he analyses and reacts to media interpretations on mental health and illness and I find him very calming for some casual insight into certain conditions and revision on what I already know.

If almost everyday you can commit to at least two or 3 extra hours into your studies, that will add up. Mix it up too, don't just copy everything from the books or read in your room, but also go to the library, at school or locally, or find someone in your class who might be up for a study date once a week for an hour or so, so you have the intention of doing some work.

Breaks are also important, I do this with the pomodoro technique; I set a timer for 45 mins, study for that long, then spend 15 mins away from my study area, making myself a cup of tea, enjoying some fresh air or company with my cat. Your brain needs refreshing and to be refuelled.

Also talk to your tutor, they're likely to know exactly what you're good and what not so good at in order to revise areas that you are struggling at.

It may be useful for you to spend time figuring out whether certain questions involve A01 Criteria ( outline, describe command words) or AO2 ( applying knowledge, understanding) of A03 ( Evaluate, analyse and compare command words) could be useful so you can focus at the questions at hand and not waste time talking about something that you will gain little marks on. ( This is Psych specific and I believe it is AQA psychology, so different exam boards may have different expectations).

Hope this helps
hhatty
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I take both bio and psych and I'm in my second year of 6th form, I usually get a*s in both subjects and full marks in psychology- this is my advice.

Psychology:
1. Don't bother with exam questions from past papers because they only end up covering small parts of topics. For example, if you decide to do a section from a paper on the 'Social Influence' topic, you still could have missed out most of the actual content because exam questions never cover a whole topic.
2. Create flashcards as a starting point for revision. These are a key resource because they encourage you to condense information and create a tool to test yourself with. Testing yourself on your knowledge is the key to doing well! I make my flashcards on quizlet bc it's cheaper and I won't lose them- but paper work well too. Make the flashcards in a question/memory prompt on one side, answer on the other side format.
3. LEARN THE FLASHCARDS (and repeat!)- learning them and asking yourself to recall the info is much more important than making the cards, writing notes, watching videos or any other passive techniques. Repeat this multiple times in the run up to tests.
4. Once you can go through the whole deck of cards, use a technique called blurting. Blurting is when you write down everything you can remember about a subtopic e.g. everything u can remember about nerve cells + synaptic transmission. You can do this in a mindmap format or just a page of notes- the key thing is to do this from memory and not look at your text book. Then take a different coloured pen and add in any info you missed off/got wrong. Don't worry if initially you can remember hardly anything!- repeat and you will get it, trust me.

Biology:
I basically do the above steps, and tbh i think that would work for chemistry too. The only added thing for biology is that I do some exam questions after the blurting step. This is because for biology knowing how questions are phrased and how this links to the mark scheme's requirements is vital. Also, when I'm making my flashcards, I make sure I understand all the info I am putting on the cards, and if I don't I often use youtube to help me visualise.

Overall revision techniques and also some videos that i find helpful:
-Pomodoro technique of 25mins work/5 mins break- change the ratios of work to break as your focus and work stamina increases
-Use your free periods for actual work- honestly it will make everything easier
-Block distracting sites on your laptop- there are various chrome extensions that do this
Video that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE

Good luck- you've got this
boba_drinker
Rep:
h

(Original post by hhatty)
I take both bio and psych and I'm in my second year of 6th form, I usually get a*s in both subjects and full marks in psychology- this is my advice.

Psychology:
1. Don't bother with exam questions from past papers because they only end up covering small parts of topics. For example, if you decide to do a section from a paper on the 'Social Influence' topic, you still could have missed out most of the actual content because exam questions never cover a whole topic.
2. Create flashcards as a starting point for revision. These are a key resource because they encourage you to condense information and create a tool to test yourself with. Testing yourself on your knowledge is the key to doing well! I make my flashcards on quizlet bc it's cheaper and I won't lose them- but paper work well too. Make the flashcards in a question/memory prompt on one side, answer on the other side format.
3. LEARN THE FLASHCARDS (and repeat!)- learning them and asking yourself to recall the info is much more important than making the cards, writing notes, watching videos or any other passive techniques. Repeat this multiple times in the run up to tests.
4. Once you can go through the whole deck of cards, use a technique called blurting. Blurting is when you write down everything you can remember about a subtopic e.g. everything u can remember about nerve cells + synaptic transmission. You can do this in a mindmap format or just a page of notes- the key thing is to do this from memory and not look at your text book. Then take a different coloured pen and add in any info you missed off/got wrong. Don't worry if initially you can remember hardly anything!- repeat and you will get it, trust me.

Biology:
I basically do the above steps, and tbh i think that would work for chemistry too. The only added thing for biology is that I do some exam questions after the blurting step. This is because for biology knowing how questions are phrased and how this links to the mark scheme's requirements is vital. Also, when I'm making my flashcards, I make sure I understand all the info I am putting on the cards, and if I don't I often use youtube to help me visualise.

Overall revision techniques and also some videos that i find helpful:
-Pomodoro technique of 25mins work/5 mins break- change the ratios of work to break as your focus and work stamina increases
-Use your free periods for actual work- honestly it will make everything easier
-Block distracting sites on your laptop- there are various chrome extensions that do this
Video that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE

Good luck- you've got this
thank you so much that's really helpful I'm gonna try this <3
booklover1313
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Have you considered getting a tutor to help you?
boba_drinker
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
Have you considered getting a tutor to help you?
i have one for biology and chemistry - hasn't helped much, helps with understanding of topics that i request and need help on but not my grades which is the issue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
8.33%
Okay (5)
41.67%
A bit lacking (3)
25%
Not good at all (3)
25%

Watched Threads