The Student Room Group

HISTORY A LEVEL HELP,( anyone who got *a/a/b in history a level, would be helpful)

i have a mock coming soon in December before I revise id like to know

how much detail of content in history a level aqa ,are we supposed to know.
I know the textbooks give me template to add more info to( such as couple of interpretations and specific info) but i can't access all the information needed for the exams because i don't how much detail am I supposed to know for any exam question

When my teacher gives us basic essay questions that arent anything like exam questions,and ask us to go off and make a essay plan, i usually go into a too much detail because 1 of the success criteira's are specific knowledge and i can spend all my time on the internet finding the right info but its not like that in history exams,u need to use what you have but how much content do I need to know to write specific knowledge in any and every essay

I've heard someone use essay plans to revsie everything from after getting all their info and revsing like that,and whenever they write their essay they just tweak and modify it to match any essay, is that a good strategy to answer most essay questions

is there any formula anyone used to revise specific knowledge history (like memorise how much examples,you going to remember per mini topic)

I'm probably repeating myself,but i hope someone can help me understand how much i content i need to revise in history a level
I'm in year 12 btw
hi! i understand the stress, and im surprised you already have a mock in year 12!
my advice is to revise absolutely everything you've learned, and in terms of detail, learn dates, names, and the effects of certain events. generally, try three pieces of evidence per paragraph, if your textbook is structured like mine, i would learn maybe five detailed pieces of evidence that you can use, then make sure you can explain.
i can see why the essay plan strategy would work, and i think if that works for you then do it! but for me, making mindmaps of each topic and then using those to make essays worked for me.
i know this was vagueish but i hope it helped anyway!
thank you so much it really did help,I'm thankful you replied
btw what exam board do you do
and you could you please elaborate on you midmap suggestion,like everything yu need to write in your essay,or just the evidence and points your going to make , because I've heard many people use this technique for history level technique,best to give it a go,
Original post by Velvet cake
thank you so much it really did help,I'm thankful you replied
btw what exam board do you do
and you could you please elaborate on you midmap suggestion,like everything yu need to write in your essay,or just the evidence and points your going to make , because I've heard many people use this technique for history level technique,best to give it a go,

aqa!
i mean go through each topic and make a mindmap for it, add every major fact you can and if possible elaborate on each branch. then look at a past paper question and see how you could use those facts to answer the q ^^
Reply 4
In terms of essay plans, you'd probably be best off writing as much as possible from memory, then filling in the gaps using your class notes and text book. You're not expected to know everything, and the textbook is a pretty good guide as to the level of detail. Maybe an idea to stay away from google as it's a bit of a time consuming rabbit hole.

When I was revising for mocks, I did a lot of blurting, filling in gaps, but I probably would have been better off doing essay plans.

Either way, it sounds like you have it all in hand!
thanks for the suggestion, this seems like a method I'm definitely willing to consider both writing essay plans and filling in my knowledge gaps

i probably overcomplicated things, but you've helped me narrow down my revision

btw were you satisfied with your grade? what grade did you get in your mocks?
and if you added essay plans and blurting would that have been your ultimate method of gaining confidence in the history exams
Reply 6
funny story as I woefully overcomplicated one of the papers in the exam, so essay plans would have been an idea. But i got an A nonetheless, and I'm predicted up to an A* so it's all okay.

Enjoy!
thanks and congrats
Reply 8
Anyone know any good resources and notes for a level industrialisation and the people Britain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending