depressed because of project

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a master's student and I'm new to research, but for my degree I have to complete a project which is stressing me out. For this project I have to learn everything from scratch including coding. At first I was just doing nothing because I had no idea how to do it and my supervisor was very displeased. Then I realised that I had to be independent so I really tried, and I was moving, but VERY slowly. Every week I look at my code and realise that I've only done 30% of what my supervisor expected me to do and I feel so so so dreadful. I have to tackle new problems everyday so every morning I wake up having 0 idea whether I'm going to make progress or not, and this feeling is killing me. I'm even thinking about dropping out, but I don't want to give up. How can I get out of this situation?
Johngrey67
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I personally think that you are overthinking about your research. Taking stress never solve problems, better take your brother, sister or friends help and share your problems with them so you can get different types of solutions. You can also join learning institutions to learn more about coding.
: ).
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I haven't done my masters yet so I can't imagine what you're going through. I really don't know what you should do, but If possible just ask for help, from people/experts online, or those around you. If you think you're spending way too much time on a single problem, ask someone to help you out with it to speed up the process a bit. Because you're doing everything from scratch it's taking up so much time, as you may be spending time figuring out solutions to problems that might be simple and obvious to a person more well versed in the field. Sometimes it's okay if things don't work out the way you want to, what you're doing isn't easy, acknowledge that. Also sometimes talking to someone helps too, especially if the other person is going through the same experience. I'm sure you're trying your best.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Johngrey67)
I personally think that you are overthinking about your research. Taking stress never solve problems, better take your brother, sister or friends help and share your problems with them so you can get different types of solutions. You can also join learning institutions to learn more about coding.
Thank you! I'm not completely new to coding and there are a lot of online forums so coding isn't the worst, but the actual research method is hard for me to understand. I feel very stuck.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by : ).)
I haven't done my masters yet so I can't imagine what you're going through. I really don't know what you should do, but If possible just ask for help, from people/experts online, or those around you. If you think you're spending way too much time on a single problem, ask someone to help you out with it to speed up the process a bit. Because you're doing everything from scratch it's taking up so much time, as you may be spending time figuring out solutions to problems that might be simple and obvious to a person more well versed in the field. Sometimes it's okay if things don't work out the way you want to, what you're doing isn't easy, acknowledge that. Also sometimes talking to someone helps too, especially if the other person is going through the same experience. I'm sure you're trying your best.
Thank you!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a master's student and I'm new to research, but for my degree I have to complete a project which is stressing me out. For this project I have to learn everything from scratch including coding. At first I was just doing nothing because I had no idea how to do it and my supervisor was very displeased. Then I realised that I had to be independent so I really tried, and I was moving, but VERY slowly. Every week I look at my code and realise that I've only done 30% of what my supervisor expected me to do and I feel so so so dreadful. I have to tackle new problems everyday so every morning I wake up having 0 idea whether I'm going to make progress or not, and this feeling is killing me. I'm even thinking about dropping out, but I don't want to give up. How can I get out of this situation?
Is this a Computer Science degree? If so, why did you pick it?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Relax + take things slow. Yall have winter to catch up on stuff, too
Anonymous #1
Is this a Computer Science degree? If so, why did you pick it?
No, I just need to write code for it. Coding is not the worst, getting stuck conceptually is worse...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Callicious)
Relax + take things slow. Yall have winter to catch up on stuff, too
That's true. I just hate the feeling of stagnation!
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
That's true. I just hate the feeling of stagnation!
Stagnation ain't all that horrific :lol:

No, I just need to write code for it. Coding is not the worst, getting stuck conceptually is worse...
What concepts are causing problems?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.82%
Okay (69)
28.99%
A bit lacking (89)
37.39%
Not good at all (59)
24.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise