The Student Room Group

ICM/exams/application

Hi,

Currently an F2 and definitely planning to take an F3- hopefully getting an ITU job.
Current goal would be to do ICM - ideally as a dual CCT, but thinking of medicine alongside rather than EM or anaesthetics.
Have been looking into ACCS-IM and IMT.

I just wanted to clarify whether it would be more difficult or more competitive to do medicine with ICM (vs with anaesthetics, which seems like many consultants dual CCT in) and any thoughts on this?

I also think I will try to sit MRCP this year.
I haven't applied for IMT/ACCS this year as I know I do not want to go straight into further training, but is this something I should have done 'for the experience'?

Just wanted to hear opinions and thoughts on the above!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Currently an F2 and definitely planning to take an F3- hopefully getting an ITU job.
Current goal would be to do ICM - ideally as a dual CCT, but thinking of medicine alongside rather than EM or anaesthetics.
Have been looking into ACCS-IM and IMT.

I just wanted to clarify whether it would be more difficult or more competitive to do medicine with ICM (vs with anaesthetics, which seems like many consultants dual CCT in) and any thoughts on this?

I also think I will try to sit MRCP this year.
I haven't applied for IMT/ACCS this year as I know I do not want to go straight into further training, but is this something I should have done 'for the experience'?

Just wanted to hear opinions and thoughts on the above!

Edit: I think I'd like to do respiratory medicine alongside, but again unsure if this is too niche or if I should just consider ACCS-IM.
No you won’t be at a disadvantage when applying for an ITU number if you’ve done Medicine. As long as you meet the entry criteria you can get exactly the same points in ST3+ applications.

A lot of anaesthetists (myself included) don’t like ITU and only do it because we’re forced to. But even those who do like it can’t automatically dual CCT in ITU, they still have to go through a competitive application for an ITU number in addition to their Anaesthetics number.

If you want to do ITU I’d recommend ACCS Acute Med because it’s useful getting the airway experience in your Anaesthetics block - being “airway trained” is what seems to be most highly valued in ITU rota management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending