The Student Room Group

applying for a different uni after a foundation year

heya. i was just wondering if anybody knew anything about applying through ucas for a second time after a foundation year. these are my questions:

To reapply with UCAS can I use my old personal statement if i'm applying to new unis?

Does my reference have to be my tutor at the Uni, or can i use my college tutor?

If i'm not accepted to any of them can i continue my course at southampton?

The foundation course doesn't give me any qualifications but is equivalent to 3 a-levels - where do i mention this or do i not?

sorry thats alot, thankyou for reading x
To reapply with UCAS can I use my old personal statement if i'm applying to new unis?
I am not sure about this, but I would assume not since when they check it for plagarism, it may show it is copied. By making a new one, you can also add things you do more recently and it will be better than the original ps. Try contacting UCAS to confirm this though.

Does my reference have to be my tutor at the Uni, or can i use my college tutor?
You'll want to ask your tutor at uni since they are the most recent tutor and will be able to provide information from the foundation year.

Of course. If you stay at Soton, you won't have to do anything as you will be progressed automatically (assuming you get the appropriate grades). If you want to leave Soton, then all you have to do is tell your university who will remove you from the course and contact SFE. The exact process is different at each uni.

The foundation course doesn't give me any qualifications but is equivalent to 3 a-levels - where do i mention this or do i not?
Before you apply to any university on UCAS, make sure to contact the relevant department to ask whether they will accept the foundation year and what grades you need. Once you know this, you mention the FY in the qualifications tab on UCAS, no need to write about it in PS. You can however write about any modules/projects/subjects that you are interested in.

Next steps:
I would suggest you
1. Contact universities you would like to transfer to
2. Ask tutor to be reference
3. Start writing PS

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
To add to the above, you can use your old personal statement (UCAS will pair up your new account with your old account, so you won't register as plagiarising yourself) - you will probably want to add/edit bits though based on what you've done in the time since you last wrote it.
Reply 3
Original post by moonstaar
I am not sure about this, but I would assume not since when they check it for plagarism, it may show it is copied. By making a new one, you can also add things you do more recently and it will be better than the original ps. Try contacting UCAS to confirm this though.

You'll want to ask your tutor at uni since they are the most recent tutor and will be able to provide information from the foundation year.

Of course. If you stay at Soton, you won't have to do anything as you will be progressed automatically (assuming you get the appropriate grades). If you want to leave Soton, then all you have to do is tell your university who will remove you from the course and contact SFE. The exact process is different at each uni.

Before you apply to any university on UCAS, make sure to contact the relevant department to ask whether they will accept the foundation year and what grades you need. Once you know this, you mention the FY in the qualifications tab on UCAS, no need to write about it in PS. You can however write about any modules/projects/subjects that you are interested in.

Next steps:
I would suggest you
1. Contact universities you would like to transfer to
2. Ask tutor to be reference
3. Start writing PS

Best of luck :smile:

thankyou so much!!! this is very very helpful x
You can’t plagiarise yourself by reusing your old Personal statement so don’t worry about that.

Unis will know what a foundation course is equivalent to so there’s no need to explain it. They are really designed for progression to a degree course at the same institution so there is no guarantee another Uni would accept it, but they may do - you would need to check with each individual Uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending