zainshahbaz
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Please I need help to find the answer of this question
zainshahbaz
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
This is the question please can someone help me
Attached files
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What have you tried?

Have you studied moments?
zainshahbaz
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
What have you tried?

Have you studied moments?
No I'm completely stumped I just tried to assume why but I am still not sure How I could I tried to do 3+2=5 on the left then 2+5N on right
Callicious
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zainshahbaz)
No I'm completely stumped I just tried to assume why but I am still not sure How I could I tried to do 3+2=5 on the left then 2+5N on right
Sum of moments clockwise = Sum anticlockwise
Get an equation that satisfies that
Then solve for M.
zainshahbaz
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Sum of moments clockwise = Sum anticlockwise
Get an equation that satisfies that
Then solve for M.
Sorry i am still super confused could you at least help me with the formula so I know where to start?
zainshahbaz
Rep:
Sorry is it M=FxD?
zainshahbaz
Rep:
Sorry is it M=FxD?
I tried to do L.S=R.S

(3N)(3M)=9 (L.S) therefore R.S= (5N)(1M) (1M)(4N)
Callicious
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I tried to do L.S=R.S

(3N)(3M)=9 (L.S) therefore R.S= (5N)(1M) (1M)(4N)
Careful. Moment = Force * distance.
Get the force for the mass M.
zainshahbaz
Rep:
Sorry what do you mean by that I thought this was force*distance Im still confused please help me
Callicious
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Sorry what do you mean by that I thought this was force*distance Im still confused please help me
Go and relearn the stuff you got taught about moments... That's the only advice I can give
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
The moment is the force that works on a distance or a length, so moment = force (N) * distance (m). Your job is to balance the bar, that is to say there has to be the same moments on both sides of the bar (the balance point divides the bar in a left and right side). Another informations are in the spoilers, try it by yourself first!

Spoiler:
Show

To balance the bar, the right side from the balance point needs the same amount of moments as the left one. The left side has 3 m * 5 N = 15 Nm, the right one 5 N * 1 m + 1 m * x N = 5 Nm + x Nm. How many Nm are missing on the right side (the x value) to get 15 Nm too?
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 months ago
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I agree with Callicious that you need to learn the fundamental of the moment of force or see how others apply the moment of forces to similar problems.

Below are some videos that you can consider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NueuPY2Yqq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GymMFZ7giLQ
zainshahbaz
Rep:
(Original post by Kallisto)
The moment is the force that works on a distance or a length, so moment = force (N) * distance (m). Your job is to balance the bar, that is to say there has to be the same moments on both sides of the bar (the balance point divides the bar in a left and right side). Another informations are in the spoilers, try it by yourself first!

Spoiler:
Show

To balance the bar, the right side from the balance point needs the same amount of moments as the left one. The left side has 3 m * 5 N = 15 Nm, the right one 5 N * 1 m + 1 m * x N = 5 Nm + x Nm. How many Nm are missing on the right side (the x value) to get 15 Nm too?
10?
zainshahbaz
Rep:

Spoiler:
Show

so it would be (5)(2)?
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
so it would be (5)(2)?
10?
Looks like that you finally got it. Would be nice to see what your point is with (5)(2) in brackets. Guess one is the force N and the other one distance m.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Has the image changed?
The anticlockwise moments (left hand side) are generated from 3N at 3m and 2N at 0.5m
The clockwise moments are generated from 5N at 1m and force M at 2m

Spoiler:
Show

Last edited by mqb2766; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.09%
October 2021 (194)
45.86%
November 2021 (44)
10.4%
December 2021 (56)
13.24%
January 2021 (46)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.22%