Got rejected from Cambridge

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Don't know how to deal with this. My parents have been pressuring me to get in since I was young, and I stuck my entire self-worth on this. Now I'm trying to deal with the fallout - I received the message just a few minutes ago, and I'm in shock. I just don't know how to deal with it.
Amp242
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
So sorry to hear this. What course was it you applied for? I have read of a few rejection letters being received this week and with the long build up is always going to cause great disappointment for individuals. I’m sure your parents will know you did all you could, especially after the difficult couple of years this year group has faced. What other unis have you applied to and have you received any offers? Many great people go on to be more successful than others that went to Oxbridge. Try and view it that Cambridge was not right for you and that you will go somewhere that is… somewhere you will excel and achieve your full potential!
Nagromicous
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don't know how to deal with this. My parents have been pressuring me to get in since I was young, and I stuck my entire self-worth on this. Now I'm trying to deal with the fallout - I received the message just a few minutes ago, and I'm in shock. I just don't know how to deal with it.
If it makes you feel any better, I still have Vietnam-style flashbacks whenever I see the word "Cambridge" four years later
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Amp242)
So sorry to hear this. What course was it you applied for? I have read of a few rejection letters being received this week and with the long build up is always going to cause great disappointment for individuals. I’m sure your parents will know you did all you could, especially after the difficult couple of years this year group has faced. What other unis have you applied to and have you received any offers? Many great people go on to be more successful than others that went to Oxbridge. Try and view it that Cambridge was not right for you and that you will go somewhere that is… somewhere you will excel and achieve your full potential!
I applied for History & Politics, got offers from Bristol & Warwick.
Amp242
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
To fantastic unis to have offers from… congratulations! 👌
mathsboy01
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
i got rejected in 2009 and it didn't upset me much but i was happy i got thorough to the interview stage
ColtTheWolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

Getting into uni has an element of luck to it. It doesn't mean you're stupid or worth less. I couldn't even apply there if I wanted to! The fact you gave it a shot means you're smart enough to be considered.

When you get into a different uni (you will) you're gonna make some good friends and have good moments that you'll eventually realise would never have happened if you had gone to Cambridge. I was sad to not get into the school I wanted but I regret nothing now because it would have meant that I never would have met all the friends I have now.

As your your parents; you gave it a shot, it didn't work out and if they're mad then they can cry harder about it. It's your life not their.

It will feel *****y though. I really hope my first choice accepts me and would be gutted if they don't, but it's just uni at the end of the day. The name of the uni doesn't matter a few years down the road.
ColtTheWolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Bro Warwick is a dope uni! I don't know much about Bristol but Warwick is really really lovely, they have a great campus, and all my friends who go there are really happy with it. I kinda prefered Warwick over Cambridge when I looked at the two.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 days ago
I think you need a ego check if you are letting a university affect your self worth. Going to university doesn't make you in of any higher status than those who don't.

This is a terrible mentality, just do something else and build your savings. If you do eventually go university those you could risk your a load of future debts

The most honest advice you need right now is get over the university rejection, just forget about it and move on. Do something else, stop worrying about the result/outcome and focus on the process, and basically wind your neck in. Going to Cambridge university suddenly doesn't make you a superstar. It just risks future debts and opens a few more doors- at the moment I don't think you're quite ready for that responsibility...
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the rejection, but as the above poster says, it really doesn't matter in the long run.
Your self worth is not measured by which university you attend, or even what your grades are.

You definitely need to move forward from this, pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and go for another university.

Your parents shouldn't have pressured you to the extent that you feel as though your entire self worth is based on attending Cambridge. That's completely unfair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads