Night programs in physics and math

Watch
This discussion is closed.
writer
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi, hope this doesn't constitute clutter or spam, but I would appreciate any information on evening
graduate programs in physics and/or math (theoretical and applied), anywhere in the country.

I know that near where I currently live, in Maryland, George Mason (in Virginia) has evening
programs, and John's Hopkins has kind of half-assed evening programs. I'd like to know about other
such programs around the continental United States. Programs that lead at least to a Masters degree,
if not a PhD, would be of interest.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O. [email protected]
Dave L. Renfro
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] [sci.math 13 Jun 2002 19:45:02 GMT]
http://mathforum.org/epigone/sci.math/dixslixrai

wrote

[q1]> Hi, hope this doesn't constitute clutter or spam, but I would appreciate any information on[/q1]
[q1]> evening graduate programs in physics and/or math (theoretical and applied), anywhere in the[/q1]
[q1]> country.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I know that near where I currently live, in Maryland, George Mason in Virginia) has evening[/q1]
[q1]> programs, and John's Hopkins has kind of half-assed evening programs. I'd like to know about other[/q1]
[q1]> such programs around the continental United States. Programs that lead at least to a Masters[/q1]
[q1]> degree, if not a PhD, would be of interest.[/q1]

Virtually every less prestigious graduate program offers some to all of their courses in the
evening. For instance, every graduate course was offered at or after 5:00 P.M. at the university I
received my M.A. from, and I've seen this at many similar universities. Almost all of the graduate
courses where I'm now teaching at are offered in the evening. But I think this is very rare for
universities of John's Hopkins' caliber. The best chance for something like this is an applied
mathematics program at a university that's located in a high tech or urban area. You didn't specify
the type of program at John's Hopkins, but it's certainly located in an area that could support
something like this.

What you typically need is a place where math graduate students can find jobs outside of a
university T.A. position and people in the community not previously associated with the university
(i.e. people who didn't just move there to attend the university, but rather people already living
in the area) who are working & who are qualified for graduate school in math & who desire to
attend graduate school in math. Virtually every large university located in a small town will
fail all three of these. Even so, these conditions are by no means necessary -- there's a math
Ph.D. program where I'm at and yet the nearest town whose population is more than 25,000
(population of town I'm in) is over 70 miles away.

Dave L. Renfro
Dave L. Renfro
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Dave L. Renfro <[email protected]> [sci.math 14 Jun 2002 08:24:16 -0700]
http://mathforum.org/epigone/sci.math/dixslixrai

wrote (in part):

[q1]> What you typically need is a place where math graduate students can find jobs outside of a[/q1]
[q1]> university T.A. position and people in the community not previously associated with the university[/q1]
[q1]> (i.e. people who didn't just move there to attend the university, but rather people already living[/q1]
[q1]> in the area) who are working & who are qualified for graduate school in math & who desire to[/q1]
[q1]> attend graduate school in math. Virtually every large university located in a small town[/q1]
[q1]> will fail all three of these.[/q1]

I suppose I should have said "...will fail the last two of these.". Actually, the more I think about
it, the more correct what I inadvertently wrote seems to be, at least if you discount minimum wage
service jobs.

Dave L. Renfro
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (23)
7.57%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (23)
7.57%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (65)
21.38%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (37)
12.17%
No, nothing has changed (95)
31.25%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (61)
20.07%

Watched Threads