Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, hope this doesn't constitute clutter or spam, but I would appreciate any information on evening
    graduate programs in physics and/or math (theoretical and applied), anywhere in the country.

I know that near where I currently live, in Maryland, George Mason (in Virginia) has evening
    programs, and John's Hopkins has kind of half-assed evening programs. I'd like to know about other
    such programs around the continental United States. Programs that lead at least to a Masters degree,
    if not a PhD, would be of interest.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O. [email protected]

[email protected] [sci.math 13 Jun 2002 19:45:02 GMT]
    http://mathforum.org/epigone/sci.math/dixslixrai

wrote

[q1]> Hi, hope this doesn't constitute clutter or spam, but I would appreciate any information on[/q1]
    [q1]> evening graduate programs in physics and/or math (theoretical and applied), anywhere in the[/q1]
    [q1]> country.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I know that near where I currently live, in Maryland, George Mason in Virginia) has evening[/q1]
    [q1]> programs, and John's Hopkins has kind of half-assed evening programs. I'd like to know about other[/q1]
    [q1]> such programs around the continental United States. Programs that lead at least to a Masters[/q1]
    [q1]> degree, if not a PhD, would be of interest.[/q1]

Virtually every less prestigious graduate program offers some to all of their courses in the
    evening. For instance, every graduate course was offered at or after 5:00 P.M. at the university I
    received my M.A. from, and I've seen this at many similar universities. Almost all of the graduate
    courses where I'm now teaching at are offered in the evening. But I think this is very rare for
    universities of John's Hopkins' caliber. The best chance for something like this is an applied
    mathematics program at a university that's located in a high tech or urban area. You didn't specify
    the type of program at John's Hopkins, but it's certainly located in an area that could support
    something like this.

What you typically need is a place where math graduate students can find jobs outside of a
    university T.A. position and people in the community not previously associated with the university
    (i.e. people who didn't just move there to attend the university, but rather people already living
    in the area) who are working & who are qualified for graduate school in math & who desire to
    attend graduate school in math. Virtually every large university located in a small town will
    fail all three of these. Even so, these conditions are by no means necessary -- there's a math
    Ph.D. program where I'm at and yet the nearest town whose population is more than 25,000
    (population of town I'm in) is over 70 miles away.

Dave L. Renfro

Dave L. Renfro <[email protected]> [sci.math 14 Jun 2002 08:24:16 -0700]
    http://mathforum.org/epigone/sci.math/dixslixrai

wrote (in part):

[q1]> What you typically need is a place where math graduate students can find jobs outside of a[/q1]
    [q1]> university T.A. position and people in the community not previously associated with the university[/q1]
    [q1]> (i.e. people who didn't just move there to attend the university, but rather people already living[/q1]
    [q1]> in the area) who are working & who are qualified for graduate school in math & who desire to[/q1]
    [q1]> attend graduate school in math. Virtually every large university located in a small town[/q1]
    [q1]> will fail all three of these.[/q1]

I suppose I should have said "...will fail the last two of these.". Actually, the more I think about
    it, the more correct what I inadvertently wrote seems to be, at least if you discount minimum wage
    service jobs.

Dave L. Renfro

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.