Politics A-Level help

Watch this thread
meli77
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Evaluate whether political parties and election campaigns should be funded by the state.

I need some counter arguments, please!!!
meli77
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Evaluate whether political parties and election campaigns should be funded by the state.

meli77
Rep:
Hi guys,
I have a class debate on this question: "Evaluate whether political parties and election campaigns should be funded by the state.

And our group is against this statement.

What points could I use? Please help!!

Thank you.
JOSH4598
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Your main argument against it is how unpopular it would be - taxpayers would be funding parties they do not support and would likely resent that.

Also funding based on the existing share of the vote strengthens the larger parties further, making it harder for smaller parties.

But you do not need to make three seperate threads on this - it spams TSR with the same content.
LegalTom
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
- The state could be biased towards a political party and would mean an unequal distribution of funds, leading to an unfair advantage to the favoured political party - could undermine participatory democracy.

- The state could hike up income tax to be able to fund campaigns etc. Thereby affecting tax payers.
Last edited by LegalTom; 5 months ago
ruby <3
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
if parties are funded by the state then that potentially reduces their independence and ability to criticise, undermining democracy etc
LegalTom
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by meli77)

- would lead to increase in income tax.

- could cause political bias in funds distribution, leading to the undermining of democracy.

- does not prevent cronyism or lobbying, politicians could still receive funds from the private sector in exchange of policies manipulation.

- it’s a waste of taxpayer funds and poor allocation of resources: tax revenues should fund social programs that benefit taxpayers.

- It gives more power to the state: the state would try to regulate how the money is spent.
Last edited by LegalTom; 5 months ago
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
i merged your threads together and moved it to the relevant forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads