hapiolen
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do students get to choose the optional units (for the 2nd year )for the btec level 3 extended dipolma in applied science or does the school pick it for us ? Because for a uni course i need 6 specific units and need Distinctions in them

(REPOST!!)
bamtutor
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hapiolen)
Do students get to choose the optional units (for the 2nd year )for the btec level 3 extended dipolma in applied science or does the school pick it for us ? Because for a uni course i need 6 specific units and need Distinctions in them

(REPOST!!)
Normally picked by the school as it depends on the expertise of the teaching staff.
hapiolen
Rep:
(Original post by bamtutor)
Normally picked by the school as it depends on the expertise of the teaching staff.
But how do these unis need these specific units if I cannot choose them ?

I read something on the pearson website that said that students have a range of optional units too choose from.
bamtutor
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
There are four different pathways for this course and although it does say that learners can choose units and / or pathway, this is somewhat restricted by the centre resources. 'Learners can either choose a pathway which focuses on a particular occupational area, such as biomedical science, analytical and forensic science, physical science; or take a general route for further study in the sector'. In a school sixth form setting for example they may not have teachers with experience of say, Cryogenics and Vacuum technology or Forensic fire investigation and they may only have enough learners for one group and as such they may only offer the 'General route'. In larger FE colleges, they may have more teachers (including some with Industry experience) and may also have enough learners for three or four different groups and as such they could offer more than one pathway. If you do require specific units for University, I would recommend you speak to your teachers and see what units are planned for both years. You may be lucky and they may be the ones you require. If not, you could look at other colleges in your area (may involve some travelling) and ask them the same question.
hapiolen
Rep:
There are four different pathways for this course and although it does say that learners can choose units and / or pathway, this is somewhat restricted by the centre resources. 'Learners can either choose a pathway which focuses on a particular occupational area, such as biomedical science, analytical and forensic science, physical science; or take a general route for further study in the sector'. In a school sixth form setting for example they may not have teachers with experience of say, Cryogenics and Vacuum technology or Forensic fire investigation and they may only have enough learners for one group and as such they may only offer the 'General route'. In larger FE colleges, they may have more teachers (including some with Industry experience) and may also have enough learners for three or four different groups and as such they could offer more than one pathway. If you do require specific units for University, I would recommend you speak to your teachers and see what units are planned for both years. You may be lucky and they may be the ones you require. If not, you could look at other colleges in your area (may involve some travelling) and ask them the same question.
I have checked and it is not unfortunately

However i have found a univeristy where units are not required in leeds but is is 2hrs 30 mins on train

So 5-10 minutes on bus and 1 hr 58 mins on train then walk for 10 mins then am there

It requires applied science 3 a levels equivalent

I do the biomedical route for applied science

So will this route still qualify for applied science(3 a level equivalent)

Or do they want the general route ?
Last edited by hapiolen; 2 weeks ago
bamtutor
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I have checked and it is not unfortunately

However i have found a univeristy where units are not required in leeds but is is 2hrs 30 mins on train

So 5-10 minutes on bus and 1 hr 58 mins on train then walk for 10 mins then am there

It requires applied science 3 a levels equivalent

I do the biomedical route for applied science

So will this route still qualify for applied science(3 a level equivalent)

Or do they want the general route ?
If there are no specified units then it should be okay. However you should email them to clarify.
hapiolen
Rep:
If there are no specified units then it should be okay. However you should email them to clarify.
Thank you , Also if i got higher than the entry requirement D*DD would i get a higher chance of entry ?

Would things like work experience , side job ans a plethora of hobbies would help ? And one thing im worried about is im a btec student and if i exceed requiremenrs and get D*D*D(target grade) theyll choose the a level student over me who got a AAA
bamtutor
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you , Also if i got higher than the entry requirement D*DD would i get a higher chance of entry ?

Would things like work experience , side job ans a plethora of hobbies would help ? And one thing im worried about is im a btec student and if i exceed requiremenrs and get D*D*D(target grade) theyll choose the a level student over me who got a AAA
Btec and A level students should be treated equally if you get the grades required. Your personal statement is really the main thing they focus on so make sure you get good advice from your tutor / UCAS adviser and use that to sell yourself. Work experience and extra curricula important but make sure they are relevant.
hapiolen
Rep:
Btec and A level students should be treated equally if you get the grades required. Your personal statement is really the main thing they focus on so make sure you get good advice from your tutor / UCAS adviser and use that to sell yourself. Work experience and extra curricula important but make sure they are relevant.
Perhaps getting work experience dental clinic , or shadowing a dentist if thats possible.

I would be applying to

Bio sciences
Biomed
Biochem
Dentistry
Med foundation year.

Also what do you normally put in the personal statement ?

Im in yr 12

How could i stand out ?
bamtutor
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Medicine and Dentistry are VERY competitive courses and I am not experienced in those subjects to advise you enough. However, I will put some general guidance and links here. Firstly you can only write one personal statement which goes to all Universities / courses that you apply to. You need to therefore focus it towards what you want to do. For example the Dentistry admissions staff might not think you are committed enough if you have also applied to Medicine and vice versa. As you are in Year 12 you have time to read through all of the guidance and ensure you ask your teachers / tutor for help. Every school and college should have a UCAS adviser and they will also provide guidance. For Med and Dentistry you also have to pass a UCAT test.
There is a Personal statement forum on TSR so look on there. WARNING......Do not put your PS online or ask anyone to check it as UCAS will flag this up as plagiarism when you do submit. Use the PS checking system on TSR. TSR PS link is at; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1083
UCAS is at; https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement
UCAT details at; https://www.ucat.ac.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (25)
9.65%
Okay (76)
29.34%
A bit lacking (96)
37.07%
Not good at all (62)
23.94%

Watched Threads