Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am currently 9 weeks into my study abroad in Spain and I hate it. I am supposed to be here for 2 years but I have hated it since the week I got here and nothing is getting better. My friends and family discouraged me from returning back to my home university at the time, saying they're sure it will get better. I stayed because I wanted to give it a chance and not give up straight away. Cut to now, I still am depressed and want to go back home. I have contacted my university and they told me I can take a leave of absence and return to repeat second year next year in the home uni, or I can stick it out this year and return next year to complete my final year. I want to try my hardest to complete the whole year so I can graduate next year, but I am afraid that I will drop out of my year abroad mid-way through the second half then have to repeat the whole year again next year. I really don't know what to do, I hate it here but I don't want to take a year away from studying and extend my degree when I have the chance to graduate next year. I am so incredibly homesick, traveling home every two weeks at the least and I deeply regret ever coming here in the first place. I need help, I don't know what to do and I feel like I've failed everyone. Please help
jenerous
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you told anyone from your University about this? And if so, what have they suggested?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jenerous)
Have you told anyone from your University about this? And if so, what have they suggested?
If you mean by speaking to my peers on the same course, yes, and they all feel the same as I do. I haven't spoken to a single student that says they are enjoying it. This makes me feel a bit better as I don't feel so alone in this mindset, but it also just makes me feel like this was a really bad choice.
username4933106
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Why do you hate it? The environment, social life. Is there something specific?
jenerous
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you mean by speaking to my peers on the same course, yes, and they all feel the same as I do. I haven't spoken to a single student that says they are enjoying it. This makes me feel a bit better as I don't feel so alone in this mindset, but it also just makes me feel like this was a really bad choice.
Are you all in the same country for the study abroad? And I was referring to University support services and/or your personal tutors.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I am currently 9 weeks into my study abroad in Spain and I hate it. I am supposed to be here for 2 years but I have hated it since the week I got here and nothing is getting better. My friends and family discouraged me from returning back to my home university at the time, saying they're sure it will get better. I stayed because I wanted to give it a chance and not give up straight away. Cut to now, I still am depressed and want to go back home. I have contacted my university and they told me I can take a leave of absence and return to repeat second year next year in the home uni, or I can stick it out this year and return next year to complete my final year. I want to try my hardest to complete the whole year so I can graduate next year, but I am afraid that I will drop out of my year abroad mid-way through the second half then have to repeat the whole year again next year. I really don't know what to do, I hate it here but I don't want to take a year away from studying and extend my degree when I have the chance to graduate next year. I am so incredibly homesick, traveling home every two weeks at the least and I deeply regret ever coming here in the first place. I need help, I don't know what to do and I feel like I've failed everyone. Please help
Strive to complete this year then return to your uni for final year next year. That’s the most reasonable solution imho. All the best.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Thestudent107SWC)
Why do you hate it? The environment, social life. Is there something specific?
There are a multitude of reasons:
- The Spaniards are quite xenophobic - they will not talk to you, but give you looks from across the room, make fun of you when they hear you speaking English, push past you in hallways etc
- The university has no student support and we are just told to "deal with it" with whatever problems arise. There are many which I have brought up to the uni and have been shut down/my emails ignored for over a month
- The workload is insanely large in comparison to the UK so I feel like I have no time for myself - if I am not studying/completing an assignment I feel like I am procrastinating and wasting time
- They make the exams so difficult that the uni has said they expect you to fail
- The language barrier can be difficult even though I speak an advanced level of Spanish
- I have incredible homesickness - I miss my family, my old bedroom, and my partner
- I tend not to eat anything because I don't like the food, so I am constantly tired and irritable
- I don't feel safe walking in the streets at night, the men are a lot scarier than those in England
- I expected to make Spanish friends to improve my language, but as they don't like English students this hasn't happened and I feel like the whole reason I came here has been a waste
- The visa process is extensive to the point where I may be disallowed entry if I try and enter Spain after the end of Jan, as this is when the tourist visa expires. It is impossible to get appointments anywhere and no one will see you in person because of covid. The websites are in stone-age internet and as good as my Spanish is, it can be very hard to read when you're trying to understand what documents you need to bring to the appointments

Overall, I cannot find one good thing about being here, and the homesickness is getting worse and I feel like I am getting depressed which is alien to me as I am normally a very happy person. It is all so overwhelming and my family doesn't fully believe me that it is as bad as I'm making out, which makes me feel guilty about not liking it. The best option would be to only do a semester but at this point in time my uni isn't allowing it. I am so stuck I don't know what to do
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jenerous)
Are you all in the same country for the study abroad? And I was referring to University support services and/or your personal tutors.
Yes we are all in the same country at the same uni for the study abroad.

The uni support services in Spain are non-existent and we are just told to "deal" with the issues we have. I have emailed them a number of times with classroom issues and timetable issues, waited for over a month for a response, and all they told me was there's nothing they can do. In the Erasmus student meeting a couple of weeks ago they even said to us they know we have student support services in England, but in Spain they don't offer it so don't expect it.

My uni back home just say "we feel for your frustration" and they don't do anything about it. They said over the years they have contacted this uni in regards to issues, but they just get ignored because that is just how the uni is run and there is no changing it.
jenerous
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes we are all in the same country at the same uni for the study abroad.

The uni support services in Spain are non-existent and we are just told to "deal" with the issues we have. I have emailed them a number of times with classroom issues and timetable issues, waited for over a month for a response, and all they told me was there's nothing they can do. In the Erasmus student meeting a couple of weeks ago they even said to us they know we have student support services in England, but in Spain they don't offer it so don't expect it.

My uni back home just say "we feel for your frustration" and they don't do anything about it. They said over the years they have contacted this uni in regards to issues, but they just get ignored because that is just how the uni is run and there is no changing it.
Look, just objectively speaking, I would say it's better to complete your year in Spain and then do your last year at home. You can try to get help either from external support services, or since you're all together, help each other out and become a support system for yourselves. This experiences just might make you a stronger and more resilient person as a whole, and maybe if you shift your mindset, it can also alter your entire experience.

However, you're the one experiencing this, and so if you really tried and still feel like you cannot do it, then there's no point wasting your time here and making yourself even more miserable. Go home and do it there.

Also, try not to think much about 'failing' anyone, or any other thoughts on those lines. Not helpful, and not true. Instead, focus on how to succeed yourself, with whatever method or option that requires you to go through.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
You sound like you're really miserable in Spain. If you feel like you can't continue there, I think it's reasonable for you to return home.
It is the fault of both the home and Spanish university for the negative experiences of the abroad students - if there was student support then maybe the other issues wouldn't be as bad.
I've been to Spain five times so far (on holiday) and I haven't experienced or witnessed any xenophobia, so my guess is that it is more to do with the student community there. Maybe you're in a region of Spain which doesn't have much of an international community?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rosy_posy)
You sound like you're really miserable in Spain. If you feel like you can't continue there, I think it's reasonable for you to return home.
It is the fault of both the home and Spanish university for the negative experiences of the abroad students - if there was student support then maybe the other issues wouldn't be as bad.
I've been to Spain five times so far (on holiday) and I haven't experienced or witnessed any xenophobia, so my guess is that it is more to do with the student community there. Maybe you're in a region of Spain which doesn't have much of an international community?
Yeah I have gone to Spain for holiday many times since I was a baby and I never experienced xenophobia either until I came here. I'm not sure whether it's to do with it being not a very touristic area or it being in an academic situation, or maybe even both. I feel I would have been more prepared if the uni or previous students were to have warned me about it beforehand so I could have been better prepared or lowered my expectations. It's a shame that I am not going to meet any locals here and am therefore restricted to my "own people", when the point of coming was to meet different kinds of people.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I have gone to Spain for holiday many times since I was a baby and I never experienced xenophobia either until I came here. I'm not sure whether it's to do with it being not a very touristic area or it being in an academic situation, or maybe even both. I feel I would have been more prepared if the uni or previous students were to have warned me about it beforehand so I could have been better prepared or lowered my expectations. It's a shame that I am not going to meet any locals here and am therefore restricted to my "own people", when the point of coming was to meet different kinds of people.
Do you plan/hope to stay there for longer or return home early?
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Sounds dire.

If your mental health is suffering it may be worth coming home.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rosy_posy)
Do you plan/hope to stay there for longer or return home early?
My plan is to do it for as long as I can cope with it. My exams for the first semester are in Jan, so I will do those and re-evaluate my situation then depending on how my exams go. I want to do the whole year so that I can say I gave it a go and tried, but I am not sure if it is worth the feeling I have
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you move to a different part of Spain?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cote1)
Sounds dire.

If your mental health is suffering it may be worth coming home.
Deep down it's what I want to do, but it would mean taking a year away from studying when I could stick it out and graduate next year. I'm so conflicted, I don't know what to prioritize. My parents don't really understand mental health as a valid reason to quit, which is another reason why I'm putting it off.

Thank you for the advice though, it's appreciated
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
Can you move to a different part of Spain?
No, it is compulsory to do it where I am
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
No, it is compulsory to do it where I am
Why did they send you to somewhere they knew was bad?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Strive to complete this year then return to your uni for final year next year. That’s the most reasonable solution imho. All the best.
That's what I'm going to try to do, the prospect is just sickening.

Thank you for the advice though it is appreciated
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why did they send you to somewhere they knew was bad?
I have no idea, this is what I asked them in a meeting and they just said "I don't know how you want me to respond to that".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.64%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.06%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.45%
Finding the motivation (24)
25.53%
Getting distracted (14)
14.89%
Procrastination (37)
39.36%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.06%

Watched Threads