Percentage yield

Watch this thread
Sarwat.
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
C2H5OH + O2 -> CH3COOH + H2O
In a small scale experiment using this second method it was found that 23.0 g of ethanol produced only 4.54 g of ethanoic acid. Calculate the percentage yield for this experiment.
How would i go about answering this? The answer is 15.1%
Last edited by Sarwat.; 8 months ago
Sodium229
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sarwat.)
C2H5OH + O2 -> CH3COOH + H2O
In a small scale experiment using this second method it was found that 23.0 g of ethanol produced only 4.54 g of ethanoic acid. Calculate the percentage yield for this experiment.
How would i go about answering this? The answer is 15.1%
Work out the amount of moles of ethanol reacted, look at the equation to work out the theoretical number of moles of ethanoic acid produced, then you can work out the theoretical mass of ethanoic acid produced. Then finally use the formula % yield = (actual yield / theoretical yield) x 100
Sarwat.
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Sodium229)
Work out the amount of moles of ethanol reacted, look at the equation to work out the theoretical number of moles of ethanoic acid produced, then you can work out the theoretical mass of ethanoic acid produced. Then finally use the formula % yield = (actual yield / theoretical yield) x 100
Ok, so I worked out 0.5 moles of ethanol reacted, how would I work out the theoretical n of mol of ethanoic acid produced, would it be the same as ethanol I would just times mr of ethanoic acid by the moles to get the mass?
Ghost of math
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Ok, so I worked out 0.5 moles of ethanol reacted, how would I work out the theoretical n of mol of ethanoic acid produced, would it be the same as ethanol I would just times mr of ethanoic acid by the moles to get the mass?
Yes,since it’s a 1 to 1 molar ratio you just need multiply the mole by the mr of ethanoic acid
Sodium229
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Yes because in the equation 1 mol of ethanol produces 1 mol of ethanoic acid, so the theoretical mass of ethanoic acid produced would be the number of theoretical moles of ethanoic acid multiplied by its molar mass.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads