Osmosis question help-access course

Watch this thread
Back2Uni2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey all, I am making my way through a workbook and I am stuck on the difference between these two questions about osmosis:

-Explain the process of osmosis within the human body

and

-discuss the importance of osmosis to living cells.

I am studying human biology, so I don't think plant cells would be included in 'living cells'.

I was going to include some examples of osmosis within the human body for the first question (ive got the definition down), but then I think that is what they may be asking for in the second question? Distribution of nutrients, absorbs water but excretes waste.

Any help I am grateful for, I'm having a brain fart Image
scrk009
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
osmosis for humans occurs in the large and the small intestines and can also be used in the kidney to get rid of excess waste products, As your body processes food, it moves from the esophagus to the stomach and then to the small intestine. While there, your body absorbs important nutrients via osmosis.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by scrk009)
osmosis for humans occurs in the large and the small intestines and can also be used in the kidney to get rid of excess waste products, As your body processes food, it moves from the esophagus to the stomach and then to the small intestine. While there, your body absorbs important nutrients via osmosis.
I think it could be inferred that osmosis is only occurs in certain compartments which is not true - it happens everywhere, even when there is an equilibrium, there is no net movement however osmosis still occurs, its just the forward and backwards are equal.

If you know about water potential talk about that, if not describe what osmosis is, what does it involve and what does it achieve

For the second part, examples doesn't really give the importance unless you say why the example is important. It might be better to give a larger example like tissue fluid as that is not as compartmental
Back2Uni2021
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by chris01928)
I think it could be inferred that osmosis is only occurs in certain compartments which is not true - it happens everywhere, even when there is an equilibrium, there is no net movement however osmosis still occurs, its just the forward and backwards are equal.

If you know about water potential talk about that, if not describe what osmosis is, what does it involve and what does it achieve

For the second part, examples doesn't really give the importance unless you say why the example is important. It might be better to give a larger example like tissue fluid as that is not as compartmental
Hi, thanks for your reply!

In the first part I have put down the definition (water moves from high potential-low potential-until equilibrium reached...then no new net movement, but the movement in and out of the cell still occurs). I gave an example of the kidneys.

I feel i need to mention osmoregulation and homeostasis, maybe hyper/hypotonic and isotonic states, but would those be suitable for the second question? Thanks for your help
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Back2Uni2021)
Hi, thanks for your reply!

In the first part I have put down the definition (water moves from high potential-low potential-until equilibrium reached...then no new net movement, but the movement in and out of the cell still occurs). I gave an example of the kidneys.

I feel i need to mention osmoregulation and homeostasis, maybe hyper/hypotonic and isotonic states, but would those be suitable for the second question? Thanks for your help
I don't know the specification or MS but for the first question, I don't think there is any need - it is just asking for a definition.

The second part you could use an example but also talk about the importance of water - hydrolysis for example
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.28%
The paper was reasonable (223)
43.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.27%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.41%

Watched Threads