The Student Room Group

Coming to an A&E near you- NHS boss apologies after staff played ‘patient bingo’

Poll

How do you feel about this?

D2E91BF5-3C57-496E-8C45-195FA3F5E849.jpeg
For those that can’t get beyond the paywall:

Spoiler

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-nurse-apology-bingo-a-e-b1959953.html

#notalloftheNHS
(edited 2 years ago)
I can tolerate the black humour tbh, it's being so careless as to allow it be public and distressing to people in their care.. but I think I'd need to blame individuals rather than the institution and culture.
People who deal with tragedy and death have a politically incorrect sense of humour. This is quite common in healthcare.

We’ll have a person or two cancelled to appease the braying mob and the media will move on to the next thing to be outraged by.

It is non-stories like this that drive page views and generate revenue.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cancelled Alice
D2E91BF5-3C57-496E-8C45-195FA3F5E849.jpeg
For those that can’t get beyond the paywall:

Spoiler

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-nurse-apology-bingo-a-e-b1959953.html

#notalloftheNHS

As an NHS worker, I will say that it's indicative of systemic deeper problems sadly.
Not surprised, I think the NHS have been disgraceful over the last 18 months. Obsessing over one virus to the point that everything else, particularly mental health, is completely forgotten. Nurses pratting around dancing on tables while telling us they're "completely overwhelmed". So this doesn't really surprise me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Megacent
Not surprised, I think the NHS have been disgraceful over the last 18 months.

Well at least they still came to work when cases were at their highest and pre vaccination, when most of the population were safely hiding at home too scared to leave it to the extent that many turned to online food shopping as even popping into their local supermarket was deemed too risky.

Agree the dark humour in this is in poor taste - I don't mind it personally as I have a dark sense of humour but I can see how it would offend some poeple. Nevertheless it is not representative of the "the NHS" which is made up of many individuals.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
People who deal with tragedy and death have a politically incorrect sense of humour. This is quite common in healthcare.

We’ll have a person or two cancelled to appease the braying mob and the media will move on to the next thing to be outraged by.

You can have an un-pc sense of humour without making, distributing and leaving out on show bingo cards such as these.
It's politically incorrect and should never have been seen by the general public, but when nurses and doctors have been looking after people for the last 2 years, working unheard of hours, putting their own health at risk, they let off steam as they can and not always in the most tasteful of ways. But put yourself in their shoes. In a busy hospitals A&E on a Friday night nurses spend hours washing down drunks covered in vomit, some of them homeless who unfortunately have not bathed for weeks. This combined with a Halloween weekend where adults forget that they are just that and end up fighting in gutters and then add to an already overworked health staffs load, things like this are to be expected, it's a way of making the hard reality of their jobs bearable.
Original post by harrysbar
Well at least they still came to work when cases were at their highest and pre vaccination, when most of the population were safely hiding at home too scared to leave it to the extent that many turned to online food shopping as even popping into their local supermarket was deemed too risky.

Because people were brainwashed by the fearmongering. When you look back it's absolutely ridiculous how terrified people were (and some still are!) of catching covid. There are lots of viruses! We've all caught colds and flus and no big deal is made about it, yet apparently the prospect of getting covid is unacceptable to some. I just don't understand it.
Original post by Crazed cat lady

I 100% agree with this
I am also willing to bet a good chunk of money that the staff who did this are far better staff than the holier than though grass
That reported them.

I spent years in care and in a hospital and it was always the goody two shoes like this that would be the ones abusing patients either deliberately or through neglect. Always.
Reply 11
Meh, a bit crass but nothing to get overly worked up about. As Striderhort noted though, ridiculously indiscrete to let it fall into the medias hands :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Meh, a bit crass but nothing to get overly worked up about. As Striderhort noted though, ridiculously indiscrete to let it fall into the medias hands :rolleyes:

Bit of an understatement. These are the people who were pratting around choreographing and performing dance routines on TikTok while telling us they were "completely overwhelmed" :biggrin:

Don't understand why people still support and defend the NHS, they have been an utter disgrace these last 18 months. We made so many sacrifices for them and they throw it back our faces by dancing on social media, rubbing our noses in the fact we weren't allowed to go out and dance with our mates. I also think they were wrong to cancel routine operations and only focus on one virus (it's not a national covid service!) and they seem to have just given up on mental health completely. I do a lot of online gaming with American players and politics and whenever the NHS got criticized I would always defend them. Not anymore. The medical community promised us they just needed 3 weeks to prepare, and yet 18 months later still claim they are struggling. So either they lied about only needing 3 weeks, or they haven't even done 3 weeks worth of preparation in over a year and a half. Either way, I just feel completely betrayed and let down. Not sure I can ever forgive them or trust them again after this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Bit of an understatement. These are the people who were pratting around choreographing and performing dance routines on TikTok while telling us they were "completely overwhelmed" :biggrin:

Don't understand why people still support and defend the NHS, they have been an utter disgrace these last 18 months. We made so many sacrifices for them and they throw it back our faces by dancing on social media, rubbing our noses in the fact we weren't allowed to go out and dance with our mates. I also think they were wrong to cancel routine operations and only focus on one virus (it's not a national covid service!) and they seem to have just given up on mental health completely. I do a lot of online gaming with American players and politics and whenever the NHS got criticized I would always defend them. Not anymore. The medical community promised us they just needed 3 weeks to prepare, and yet 18 months later still claim they are struggling. So either they lied about only needing 3 weeks, or they haven't even done 3 weeks worth of preparation in over a year and a half. Either way, I just feel completely betrayed and let down. Not sure I can ever forgive them or trust them again after this.

I am very critical of the NHS cult, lockdown fanatics, Covid hysteria and woke bs. In fact I would say a lot of "health experts" should be in prison or/and have their licenses scrapped.

But I would say don't begrudge NHS staff on the whole for having a bit of fun, largely in an attempt to boost morale in difficult circumstances. Spend a week working in the NHS and you will see how busy they are.
Original post by Starship Trooper

But I would say don't begrudge NHS staff on the whole for having a bit of fun, largely in an attempt to boost morale in difficult circumstances. Spend a week working in the NHS and you will see how busy they are.

I wouldn't begrudge them that either, but the point I am making is how come there was time for all these dancing videos if they were "completely overwhelmed"?

The argument for lockdown was that the NHS wasn't immediately prepared to deal with covid running wild, and would be overwhelmed. We were told they just needed 3 weeks to prepare, and then we could lift all restrictions and they would be in a position to handle the surge. Why didn't that happen? The way I see it there are two possibilities. Either they lied about only needing 3 weeks, or they haven't done 3 weeks worth of preparation in the last 18 months. Either way, it reflects badly on the medical community.

Agree that some of the scientists should be in prison. Whitty, Vallance and all the members of Independent SAGE should be in the Hague for crimes against humanity. Susan Michie actually giggled when saying she wants restrictions "forever". These people don't care about health. For them it's just about power and control.
(edited 2 years ago)
I wouldn't begrudge them that either, but the point I am making is how come there was time for all these dancing videos if they were "completely overwhelmed"?

The argument for lockdown was that the NHS wasn't immediately prepared to deal with covid running wild, and would be overwhelmed. We were told they just needed 3 weeks to prepare, and then we could lift all restrictions and they would be in a position to handle the surge. Why didn't that happen? The way I see it there are two possibilities. Either they lied about only needing 3 weeks, or they haven't done 3 weeks worth of preparation in the last 18 months. Either way, it reflects badly on the medical community.

Agree that some of the scientists should be in prison. Whitty, Vallance and all the members of Independent SAGE should be in the Hague for crimes against humanity. Susan Michie actually giggled when saying she wants restrictions "forever". These people don't care about health. For them it's just about power and control.

I agree with all of the above in bold. My point is I wouldn't go entirely mad on nhs staff for having a bit of harmless fun- doing some silly videos would not take that long to do. I worked at a care home during lockdown and we did similar things- and we were still (mostly) working our arses off. This is just a small moment in time. Maybe some individuals are dossing but that has generally not been my experience.

It would be like looking at German and British forces playing football in No mans land during ww1 and concluding all the soldiers have been mucking around the entire time.
I agree with all of the above in bold. My point is I wouldn't go entirely mad on nhs staff for having a bit of harmless fun- doing some silly videos would not take that long to do. I worked at a care home during lockdown and we did similar things- and we were still (mostly) working our arses off. This is just a small moment in time. Maybe some individuals are dossing but that has generally not been my experience.

It would be like looking at German and British forces playing football in No mans land during ww1 and concluding all the soldiers have been mucking around the entire time.

Haha love the comparison 🤣
Reply 17

Mmm ive seen worse though, leaving nuclear submarine blueprints lying around and so on so forth :lol:

To be perfectly frank, i really dont get the issue with a poxy little video. It neither detracts from the staff being worked to death (a known fact before the pandemic, let alone during it) nor does it mean people who are working under rather unpleasant conditions arent allowed to blow off steam on their time off... it being a legal requirement that theyre allowed breaks and the population has absolutely no business questioning how they spend it. Least of all given almost all of them were sat on their asses at home doing sweet **** all.

In what way have they been a disgrace exactly? Theyve done their job, theyre not the ones making or enforcing lockdowns .. they have nothing to do with this. theyve simply been treating those who caught the virus or were dumb enough to land themselves in ICU (as a nice bit in the guardian outlined earlier). At any rate, whilst the population obviously is not there to serve the whims of the NHS on the same hand the NHS is meant to serve everyone and it cant well do that if its hallways are clogged with people coughing themselves to death.

You seem to be conflating the actions of the NHS with those of the government and their scientists though, two rather different things. A nurse doing a dance is about as far removed from the whims of Westminster and Whitehall as you can possibly get and attacking them, god only knows why, for the actions of politicos seems rather dishonest...

I dont disagree with the comment about other surgeries being binned though. That was indeed a travesty but, again, one that tended to come from PHE and the monkeys in that area than hospital workers... This is like blaming WWI on some random soldier in the trench as opposed to the leaders who actually made the decision - to use a rather on the nose example.
Reply 18

I only just read your comment but i do like how we made broadly the same comparison :lol:
Original post by Napp
the NHS is meant to serve everyone and it cant well do that if its hallways are clogged with people coughing themselves to death.

But we were told if we locked down for 3 weeks, the NHS would have enough time to prepare so that they weren't clogged. I think that's one of the things that angers me the most. They clearly intended, right from the start, to keep restrictions of some kind in place until we had vaccines or medicines available. But they sold to us as a short term thing, "it's only a few weeks". If we knew they would drag it out this long, would the emergency legislation have got through? I very much doubt so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending