The Student Room Group

I’m annoyed that mental illness took away my best years

I’m so frustrated bc I’m 23 now and I feel like I missed out on important stages in my life because of mental health issues. I never got to be a wild teen and make mistakes and enjoy that period where I could just enjoy no responsibilities and have reckless fun, or just fun in general. I’m now in a place where I’m expected to get my **** together and be a little more mature, and everyone else around my age is prioritising that- actually trying to adult whilst I’m still here grieving my teenage years and just wanting to live as an 18 year old- definitely coming across as less mature than others. I’m still struggling with mental health problems and struggle to achieve the things I want to, I’m just worried that it’ll eat away my whole youth and before I know it I’ll be 40 grieving that too.
Where are you now, are you working?
Reply 2
Original post by *****deadness
Where are you now, are you working?

yeah i work
Make up for what you missed now.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m so frustrated bc I’m 23 now and I feel like I missed out on important stages in my life because of mental health issues. I never got to be a wild teen and make mistakes and enjoy that period where I could just enjoy no responsibilities and have reckless fun, or just fun in general. I’m now in a place where I’m expected to get my **** together and be a little more mature, and everyone else around my age is prioritising that- actually trying to adult whilst I’m still here grieving my teenage years and just wanting to live as an 18 year old- definitely coming across as less mature than others. I’m still struggling with mental health problems and struggle to achieve the things I want to, I’m just worried that it’ll eat away my whole youth and before I know it I’ll be 40 grieving that too.

I can sympathise with this but as the old adage goes “there’s no use crying over spilt milk”. Yes, it’s painful and yes, there’s a feeling of wanting to have a nostalgic past but are you really going to think about this 20 years down the line? Make use of what you have now and let the nostalgia flow a couple of years later. Create new best years, that you can experience and reminisce.
Reply 5
I am 41 and I am do all what your are didn't. I have 2 kids, and now I am take to study philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest