The Student Room Group

Applying to 2 courses at LSE

I recently completed my Autumn resits, and expect A* Maths, A*/A Econ, and have already achieved A* in Further Maths and an A in History .
I am planning on applying for both the Econ course and Econ & Maths course at LSE, and pure Econ at all my other options, to increase the chance of me getting an offer from LSE.
Is this advisable? I feel I can include topics on maths integrated with what I talk about in reference to economics
in my personal statement.
Thanks.
Why do you think looking unfocused and undecided will increase your chances of an offer?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hexadecimal16z
I recently completed my Autumn resits, and expect A* Maths, A*/A Econ, and have already achieved A* in Further Maths and an A in History .
I am planning on applying for both the Econ course and Econ & Maths course at LSE, and pure Econ at all my other options, to increase the chance of me getting an offer from LSE.
Is this advisable? I feel I can include topics on maths integrated with what I talk about in reference to economics
Thanks.

I advise you to look at MA103 and see the lecture notes cos uni maths is very different to A level math
Thanks.

Not sure why everyone's being so negative on this thread. I basically did the same as you and applied to econ and Econ+Maths at LSE and then Econ most places elsewhere. It was fine, I got offers. You can definitely put a significant mathematical focus onto an Econ personal statement. If you get those grades then it's likely you'll also be applying to other top unis and top unis like it if you can show that you'll be mathematically competent enough to do their Econ courses so it certainly won't make your LSE applications nor your other applications look bad, you will need to apply the maths to Econ a fair bit in the PS though
Original post by BenRyan99
Not sure why everyone's being so negative on this thread. I basically did the same as you and applied to econ and Econ+Maths at LSE and then Econ most places elsewhere. It was fine, I got offers. You can definitely put a significant mathematical focus onto an Econ personal statement. If you get those grades then it's likely you'll also be applying to other top unis and top unis like it if you can show that you'll be mathematically competent enough to do their Econ courses so it certainly won't make your LSE applications nor your other applications look bad, you will need to apply the maths to Econ a fair bit in the PS though

Thanks! You've made the most sense so far lol.
By the way did you end up getting an offer from LSE? And if so, which one?

Original post by PQ
Why do you think looking unfocused and undecided will increase your chances of an offer?

Becuase I'd rather have the offer in econ, but if due to the competition for the course LSE decides not to give me it I can show I have competent math skills to tackle the econ + maths course too.
Thanks.

"You are welcome to apply to more than one programme at LSE; however you should ensure that they are fairly similar to ensure that you are able to write a relevant and well-focused personal statement. We advise students applying to more than one programme at LSE to be cautious, as they may find it difficult to effectively demonstrate their academic interest in the limited amount of space available in the personal statement. LSE does not accept additional or supplementary personal statements.

"You should also note that applying to more than one programme does not increase the likelihood of your being made an offer. Applicants who make applications to more than one programme at the School within the same cycle will be considered for all programmes applied to, however would only be eligible to receive a maximum of one offer from the School."

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form
(edited 2 years ago)

Yep I got an offer and did my undergrad there in Maths and Econ
Original post by ageshallnot
"You are welcome to apply to more than one programme at LSE; however you should ensure that they are fairly similar to ensure that you are able to write a relevant and well-focused personal statement. We advise students applying to more than one programme at LSE to be cautious, as they may find it difficult to effectively demonstrate their academic interest in the limited amount of space available in the personal statement. LSE does not accept additional or supplementary personal statements.

"You should also note that applying to more than one programme does not increase the likelihood of your being made an offer. Applicants who make applications to more than one programme at the School within the same cycle will be considered for all programmes applied to, however would only be eligible to receive a maximum of one offer from the School."

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form

ye econ and maths+econ can be referenced in my PS kinda. so i think applying to 2 works in my context.
Yep I got an offer and did my undergrad there in Maths and Econ

How did you go about including mathematics on your personal statement, without losing focus from economics? And did you aim for a 50/50 ratio of mentioning both?
How did you go about including mathematics on your personal statement, without losing focus from economics? And did you aim for a 50/50 ratio of mentioning both?

Can't remember exactly what I wrote but I remember it being quite focused on the decision theory section of further maths as quite a few of the topics are covered/useful for some advanced microeconomics topics so it covered both maths and Econ succinctly together. This and that statistics is obviously used a lot in maths as well as Econ so goes together very well.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can't remember exactly what I wrote but I remember it being quite focused on the decision theory section of further maths as quite a few of the topics are covered/useful for some advanced microeconomics topics so it covered both maths and Econ succinctly together. This and that statistics is obviously used a lot in maths as well as Econ so goes together very well.

sorry to keep bothering you , but do you think writing about what I learnt from reading "The Alchemy of Finance" by soros is advisable , as I plan on linking it to economic theory but am worried they may think I'm focusing on finance than economics by bringing the book up.
sorry to keep bothering you , but do you think writing about what I learnt from reading "The Alchemy of Finance" by soros is advisable , as I plan on linking it to economic theory but am worried they may think I'm focusing on finance than economics by bringing the book up.

I would recommend sticking to economics but if you can really link it well then it might not come across badly. Just need to be careful, especially with LSE as they put so much weight on your PS
I would recommend sticking to economics but if you can really link it well then it might not come across badly. Just need to be careful, especially with LSE as they put so much weight on your PS

Specifically I was going to mention behavioural finance, and how it links to animal spirits, but do you think thats less to do with econ?
essentially i fear they may not want to hear too much on financial markets, as compared to other economic sectors:frown:

Have you considered applying for their BSc Finance or BSc Financial Maths & Stats courses if you're quite interested in finance? I'm not really sure what to say beyond that you're applying for economics not finance, so of course they would be more interested in hearing about actual economics than finance, and you can't really cover financial economics properly without degree level knowledge. Financial economics essentially is split between corporate finance and asset pricing, talking about behavioural finance and stuff would likely count as finance unless it was really well linked to macro or micro.

Most applicants also forget that most academic economists are micro yet most applicants prefer macro so write about it, not that this should come into play with your PS but it means on average they might prefer a micro PS over a macro one but this certainly isn't concrete nor should it really determine what you write.

The best tip is to try to cover literature that's actually relevant to academic economics and relate that to what you're studying. Whereas covering books by bankers/financiers is never going to be as interesting/impressive to an academic economist. That being said, it feels like since 2008 everyone's personal statement has a fair amount of finance in, even mine did lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending