The Student Room Group

A controversial opinion about diversity & immigration

Both of my parents originate from the Middle East - think somewhere within the
Mediterranean/Arabian Peninsula/Iran - I was born in Britain, grew up and went to school in areas or wards where immigrants themselves are between 25-40% of the population, and the majority of people are of immigrant origin (60-70%) the minority being White British origin. I've never voted Tory in my life, i voted to Remain in the EU.

It is my belief that immigration of people who intend to remain for the rest of their lives in the UK is too high, assimilation of people who are already in Britain is preferable to multiculturalism or diversity, i would prefer if Britain accepted fewer refugees, deported those who have been refused asylum, reduced the number of people given visas, increased refusals of visa extensions, and increased deportation of people who no longer have a right to remain in the UK.

I absolutely do not advocate for violence towards people of another ethnicity or religion. In fact, i abhor and was disgusted the increase of hate crimes towards people of East Asian descent, i consider the Windrush scandal to be a grave mistake. Those who arrived in Britain during the Windrush era are completely and utterly British.

If growing but developing countries like Indonesia, Mexico, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc. had a significant portion of their population (like 15-25%) from another part of world with no cultural proximity to said country, do you think it is acceptable for the local population to feel resentful, indignant or nativist?

Is this hypocritical? I would be ostracized and crucified within my social circle for holding these views. Do you disagree or agree with me? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thonking
Mediterranean/Arabian Peninsula/Iran - I was born in Britain, grew up and went to school in areas or wards where immigrants themselves are between 25-40% of the population, and the majority of people are of immigrant origin (60-70%) the minority being White British origin. I've never voted Tory in my life, i voted to Remain in the EU.

It is my belief that immigration of people who intend to remain for the rest of their lives in the UK is too high, assimilation of people who are already in Britain is preferable to multiculturalism or diversity, i would prefer if Britain accepted fewer refugees, deported those who have been refused asylum, reduced the number of people given visas, increased refusals of visa extensions, and increased deportation of people who no longer have a right to remain in the UK.

I absolutely do not advocate for violence towards people of another ethnicity or religion. In fact, i abhor and was disgusted the increase of hate crimes towards people of East Asian descent, i consider the Windrush scandal to be a grave mistake. Those who arrived in Britain during the Windrush era are completely and utterly British.

If growing but developing countries like Indonesia, Mexico, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc. had a significant portion of their population (like 15-25%) from another part of world with no cultural proximity to said country, do you think it is acceptable for the local population to feel resentful, indignant or nativist?

Is this hypocritical? I would be ostracized and crucified within my social circle for holding these views. Do you disagree or agree with me? I would like to hear your thoughts.

That's only "controversial" among a tiny bubble of Society.

Sounds like a winning election manifesto to me. - I would most certainly agree.

I can never understand why failed asylum seekers, those who overstay on their visa's, foreign criminals who commit serious offences and terror suspects aren't deported. It is by no means in the interests of Britain to keep these individuals here, unless you believe we have a vague moral obligation to help those who break the rules.

Multiculturalism isn't the big success people make it out to be, when ethnic groups concentrate together and fail to assimilate. Many foreign cultures are so far removed from Western values that I can never understand why we openly welcome mass immigration from those areas.
Reply 3

You sound about as British as they come.

Here is the definition of being British. Being British involves going to an Irish pub, drinking Belgium beer, before heading out for an Indian or Chinese takeaway. This is then bought home where you sit on a Swedish Sofa, watching a Japanese TV and drinking some American beer. And when all is said an done, you are suspicious of anyone who is foreign.

If there is one thing we need right now, it is immigrants. Who in Britain is going to give up a full time job to gut turkeys for 4 weeks before Christmas or spend a summer picking peas in the fields? I certainly am not. Nor am I prepared to wipe the arses of my parents in a care home. Are you?
Original post by hotpud
You sound about as British as they come. Here is the definition of being British. Being British involves going to an Irish pub, drinking Belgium beer, before heading out for an Indian or Chinese takeaway. This is then bought home where you sit on a Swedish Sofa, watching a Japanese TV and drinking some American beer.

And when all is said an done, you are suspicious of anyone who is foreign.

If there is one thing we need right now, it is immigrants. Who in Britain is going to give up a full time job to gut turkeys for 4 weeks before Christmas or spend a summer picking peas in the fields? I certainly am not. Nor am I prepared to wipe the arses of my parents in a care home. Are you?

Lol so nobody is British then according to you? Presumably this goes for all nationalities? You can easily live in a modern capitalist society without having millions of immigrants.

Hahaha so the OP is racist LMAO

People will do those jobs if they're PAID PROPERLY instead of bringing cheap labour to do it. And they should do so, and in cases be made to.
No one is any nationality because almost everyone consumes products from abroad.

Stunning insight from the resident scientist.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Starship Trooper
Lol so nobody is British then according to you? Presumably this goes for all nationalities? You can easily live in a modern capitalist society without having millions of immigrants.

Hahaha so the OP is racist LMAO

People will do those jobs if they're PAID PROPERLY instead of bringing cheap labour to do it. And they should do so, and in cases be made to.

Of course we are British. But if being British means to be aggressive or anti-immigrant, then count me out. We are an island of immigrants since the dawn of time. Anglo-saxon we are - that would be Angles from German and Saxons from... Germany, to say nothing of the Normal, Roman, Gaelic and Vicking invasions. If there is one thing that doesn't exist, it is the "pure bred" Brit. Yet you talk as if there is some sort of master race being watered down by immigrants. Yet it is immigrants who prop up this country doing all the jobs we depend on but are too precious to do ourselves.
Original post by hotpud
Of course we are British. But if being British means to be aggressive or anti-immigrant, then count me out.

We are an island of immigrants since the dawn of time. Anglo-saxon we are - that would be Angles from German and Saxons from... Germany, to say nothing of the Normal, Roman, Gaelic and Vicking invasions. If there is one thing that doesn't exist, it is the "pure bred" Brit.

Yet you talk as if there is some sort of master race being watered down by immigrants.

Yet it is immigrants who prop up this country doing all the jobs we depend on but are too precious to do ourselves.

Ok how are we British, please define that? What does being "aggressive" and "anti immigrant" have to do with it? What successful society isn't "aggressive" and unreservedly loves immigration? (There isn't one)

Sure but again nothing in the scale we have today. Pointing out viking incursions isn't really doing much for your argument. Yes we used to have problems with the Irish, but if anything that further undermines your argument: if we have problems integrating our neighbors what makes you think we're going to be better at integrating people in vast numbers from the other side of the planet? It's crazy

Nobody is talking about a "master race" other than yourself. This is just a lazy and ridiculous argument and hominem strawman to label people you disagree with as Nazis even if they happen to be a Muslim Immigrant like OP.

It's very revealing that the only way you can talk up immigration is by talking down white British people. If I said say Nigerians were too "precious" (read : ignorant, stupid, lazy...etc) to get anywhere without white British people doing their jobs you would presumably be deeply offended, would you not?
Reply 8
it's hyproctical if you want you, your parents and your offspring to benefit from the UK immigration service but don't wish others to; or are you saying you and your parents should move back to the Middle East?

ngl i highly doubt you know how immigration actually works with accepting refugees, deporting illegal immigrants and what it actually takes to get a visa. i know cuz i used to work in immigration. i've also lived in three countries on three different continents and have applied for and held two work visas in Australia and two study visas in the UK so i understand the process; if you knew the requirements to get a UK visa you'd likely change your mind because not just anyone can get one. you must prove you have money and can invest in the economy which is obviously beneficial to the UK.

ps all those immigrants you see in your neighbourhood are not refugees and asylum seekers. refugees and asylum seekers make up an extremely small percentage of the population

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html
Reply 9
Ok how are we British, please define that? What does being "aggressive" and "anti immigrant" have to do with it? What successful society isn't "aggressive" and unreservedly loves immigration? (There isn't one)

Wouldn't that be the USA up to around 30 years ago? A country of immigrants and strong and powerful for it.

The UK from after the war until the early 70s. Had we not had immigration from the commonwealth, we would have been stuffed.
Original post by hotpud
Wouldn't that be the USA up to around 30 years ago? A country of immigrants and strong and powerful for it.

The UK from after the war until the early 70s. Had we not had immigration from the commonwealth, we would have been stuffed.

LMAO that you think 20th century US and UK were pro immigrant and non aggressive.

The US literaly had a whites only immigration policy until LBJ and have been in continuous foreign wars.

As for the UK nope. Enoch Powell was hugely popular. With UK immigration then, most people people honestly thought the immigrants would go back home

Part of the problem is that for decades people have been lied to by politicians in the UK of all stripes who have said there will be cuts to immigration but failed to deliver.

Screenshot_2021-11-20-10-23-37-43_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg
Reply 11
LMAO that you think 20th century US and UK were pro immigrant and non aggressive.

The US literaly had a whites only immigration policy until LBJ and have been in continuous foreign wars.

As for the UK nope. Enoch Powell was hugely popular. With UK immigration then, most people people honestly thought the immigrants would go back home

Part of the problem is that for decades people have been lied to by politicians in the UK of all stripes who have said there will be cuts to immigration but failed to deliver.

I never said it was popular. But whilst the man-on-the-street has always been hostile to immigration employers have been lapping it up. Similarly, immigration brings genuine innovation because different people bring different ideas and ways of doing things. Immigration is the reason we have the best pharmaceutics in the world and why the UK punches above its weight in innovation in technology. By contrast, countries like Russia and China are only as successful as they are because of espionage. When was the last time China or Russia invented a world beating new technology?
Original post by hotpud

Here is the definition of being British. Being British involves going to an Irish pub, drinking Belgium beer, before heading out for an Indian or Chinese takeaway. This is then bought home where you sit on a Swedish Sofa, watching a Japanese TV and drinking some American beer. And when all is said an done, you are suspicious of anyone who is foreign.

That really is a snobby view point and a exceptionally prejudiced and narrow-minded view of a variety of demographics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Joleee
it's hyproctical if you want you, your parents and your offspring to benefit from the UK immigration service but don't wish others to; or are you saying you and your parents should move back to the Middle East?

ngl i highly doubt you know how immigration actually works with accepting refugees, deporting illegal immigrants and what it actually takes to get a visa. i know cuz i used to work in immigration. i've also lived in three countries on three different continents and have applied for and held two work visas in Australia and two study visas in the UK so i understand the process; if you knew the requirements to get a UK visa you'd likely change your mind because not just anyone can get one. you must prove you have money and can invest in the economy which is obviously beneficial to the UK.

ps all those immigrants you see in your neighbourhood are not refugees and asylum seekers. refugees and asylum seekers make up an extremely small percentage of the population

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html

I never said that they were all or mostly refugees and asylum seekers? I also never declared that there should be no immigration whatsoever, so your first point is moot. I have a strong preferance towards lower levels of permanent migration to the UK. I do not have any issue with investment based migration, in fact, i would much rather prefer an increase of wealthy migrants as opposed to poor, unskilled migrants.
Reply 14
Original post by hotpud

This is a pretty nonsense analogy, my opposition isn't to immigration, foreigners or foreign goods. Just towards the large amount of migration for the past 2 decades. If immigration had occurred during the Labour years and then returned to levels of the 1980s and early 90s, i would have no issue.
Reply 15
Original post by Burton Bridge
That really is a snobby view point and a exceptionally prejudiced and narrow-minded view of a variety of demographics.

Not really. It perfectly explains why there is no such thing as "the seasonal worker" in this country. Everyone complains that locals don't take up the offer of seasonal work, yet no one seems to put themselves forward either, mainly because if they did they would lose out on steady benefits after the work had finished, or they already have a full time job that pays a steady wage. Why would you give that up for a few weeks of work, even if they pay is better?

Not snobby, just statement of the facts.

Sure but again nothing in the scale we have today. Pointing out viking incursions isn't really doing much for your argument. Yes we used to have problems with the Irish, but if anything that further undermines your argument: if we have problems integrating our neighbors what makes you think we're going to be better at integrating people in vast numbers from the other side of the planet? It's crazy

Nobody is talking about a "master race" other than yourself. This is just a lazy and ridiculous argument and hominem strawman to label people you disagree with as Nazis even if they happen to be a Muslim Immigrant like OP.

It's very revealing that the only way you can talk up immigration is by talking down white British people. If I said say Nigerians were too "precious" (read : ignorant, stupid, lazy...etc) to get anywhere without white British people doing their jobs you would presumably be deeply offended, would you not?

Youre assuming OP’s muslim bc hes middle eastern loool
Original post by Sohello
Youre assuming OP’s muslim bc hes middle eastern loool

It's a pretty safe bet that he or/and his parents are yes considering they make up about 90% of the region at least.

If this is not the case then I apologise
Original post by hotpud
Not really. It perfectly explains why there is no such thing as "the seasonal worker" in this country. Everyone complains that locals don't take up the offer of seasonal work, yet no one seems to put themselves forward either, mainly because if they did they would lose out on steady benefits after the work had finished, or they already have a full time job that pays a steady wage. Why would you give that up for a few weeks of work, even if they pay is better?

Not snobby, just statement of the facts.

About 20 years ago it was gypsy familes who do the seasonal work.
Also after open EU there is now the problem of slavery of mainly young Eastern European men who had tricked and scared into working for criminal gangs on building sites car washes factories etc.
The home office and police believe 500.000 people for eastern Europe keep as slaves in Britain.
Of course some parts of immigration is good like for example a doctor or dentist for Poland coming and running a surgery or a HIV expert from Zimbabwe coming to work for a government department.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by looloo2134
About 20 years ago it was gypsy familes who do the seasonal work.
Also after open EU there is now the problem of slavery of mainly young Eastern European men who had tricked and scared into working for criminal on building sites car washes factories etc.
The home office and police believe 500.000 people for eastern Europe keep as slaves in Britain.

Doesn't surprise me. I just find the whole issue of politics vs. reality really depressing sometimes. I note the government are gearing themselves up to be mini-hitlers towards those coming over here by sea.

#grimtimes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending