The Student Room Group

Episode 3 - Orchestral beats to help you focus

Volume 3 of Gameplay focuses on orchestral beats to focus your mind! :blow:

This week, Baby Queen mixes a playlist featuring tracks from Humankind, Genesis Noir and... Untitled Goose Game!

Listen to Volume 3 here (available from 02:00, Saturday 20/11/21)

Which gaming soundtracks help you to stay focused?

For me, the 10 Ravnican guild themes on MTG Arena spring to mind. Each is a different take on the same base tune, and they match their respective guild's flavour and style perfectly. My favourites would be the dramatic Orzhov Syndicate, the relaxing Selesnya Conclave, and the strange Simic Combine themes.

What's yours? :biggrin:

(edited 2 years ago)
Turning once again to the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise, the Academy theme from 5 is brilliant.

[video="youtube;tx6R3YgmK0s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx6R3YgmK0s[/video]
Listening now, hoping I finally get a little bit of elder scrolls love given the theme!
I really enjoyed this one even though I had hardly played any of the games that came up. Really enjoyed the song from cuphead as well so might have to scount that one out and have a play.

Did forget how good the Uncharted games were though!
Reply 4
Not really orchestral, but this compilation of PokΓ©mon soundtracks on Youtube has been a blessing in the past.

The Zelda soundtrack always brings those cheery nostalgic vibes :smile: Here's a great playlist to listen to while studying/working or relaxing:

(edited 2 years ago)
Finally found time for volume 3! :yay: Listening now.
Yay, the tracklist shows which songs are playing again like it did in vol 1! :yay: First up is Humankind - Main Title; nice song, but I've never heard of the game (not that surprised to hear it came out this year). Ooh, suddenly vocals, even better!

Rust - Descent: very nice, atmospheric. Great drums.

Silent transition into God of War III - Call to Arms, much more dramatic. :biggrin:

Monument Valley 2 - Interwoven Stories next. This game looks interesting. :holmes: Music isn't bad, either.

Obligatory classical music piece obviously not composed for the game: Claude Debussy's Preludes Book 2, L.123 apparently features in Untitled Goose Game! Seems fitting, based on what I know about the game. :laugh:

THREE tracks from The Blair Witch game next; The Missing Boy is fine, probably fantastic for its intended purpose as atmospheric BGM, but not something I'd listen to in its own right. Into the Woods was more my cup of tea. Prologue was decent.

Uncharted 4 - New Devon belongs in volume 1, this is epic adventure material!

Returnal. Another game I've not heard of from 2021. :colondollar: The track Motionless was VERY creepy, and very good.

No Longer Home - Starshower grew on me. Didn't like the loud beat at first, it felt out of place amongst all the other milder, ambient, dreamy sounds. Again, probably wouldn't have bothered me if playing in the background of a game.

Yvette's Theme from Ambition: A Minuet in Power next, lovely piece.

Cuphead is a game I keep meaning to check out; great jazzy track intro theme. :blow:

Ooh, a really cool looking point-and-click game with a jazz soundtrack? Genesis Noir definitely appeals to me! No way it's running on this PC, however. :p:

I'm glad that each volume so far has featured at least one game I've played; in this case, it's Minecraft. Good track choice, Danny is the BGM that I associate most with the game. Very nostalgic.

Ori and the Will of the Wisp - Ori, Embracing the Light was just beautiful.

Two left: I enjoyed Halo 3 - One Final Effort. Again, I feel this could have gone in the week 1 epic playlist.

And ending on Fall Guys - Everybody Falls, a track which Baby Queen admits is far from orchestral. Seems like the last track each week is a wildcard slot! Certainly different!

Nice playlist again. :yy:
if im being real, anything Toby Fox releases instantly goes on repeat until he puts out more. when it comes to focusing tho, id have to say the Undertale concert. the OST was already nothing but bangers, but that 5th anniversary concert is just so good, and songs like respite really help me relax and get into the right frame of mind.

one of my biggest inspirations. love that funky little guy.
I find that the Legend of Zelda games have fantastic soundtracks that can be so uplifting! Sometimes I study with it on in the background, and I'm not usually the sort of person to study with music. Give it a shot, literally every single Zelda game has tracks ranging from good to genre-defining!
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Volume 3 of Gameplay focuses on orchestral beats to focus your mind! :blow:

This week, Baby Queen mixes a playlist featuring tracks from Humankind, Genesis Noir and... Untitled Goose Game!

Listen to Volume 3 here (available from 02:00, Saturday 20/11/21)

Which gaming soundtracks help you to stay focused?

For me, the 10 Ravnican guild themes on MTG Arena spring to mind. Each is a different take on the same base tune, and they match their respective guild's flavour and style perfectly. My favourites would be the dramatic Orzhov Syndicate, the relaxing Selesnya Conclave, and the strange Simic Combine themes.

What's yours? :biggrin:

I have never listened to music for studying, but the soundtrack of Minecraft does seem very calming.

Spoiler

Really loved the vibes of MTG :woo:

reminded me a bit to...

my all time favourite would be (not a part of gaming tho)

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

sounds sickk especially the flute part :cool:
Original post by markovchain17

got removed :redface:
Original post by fufferpish
got removed :redface:

smh how they gonna remove buck bumble like that
Original post by markovchain17
smh how they gonna remove buck bumble like that

that beat thoo :jive:
Animal crossing music :smile: