Dermatologist told me to cut out meat and gluten- why?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve been seeing a dermatologist acne and after having no response to treatments she told me to change my diet.

I was expecting to be told to cut out dairy as that’s what people usually suggest for acne but she’s told me to go vegetarian and gluten free and I’m a bit confused why? She just said ‘to reduce inflammation’ but aren’t good quality lean meats like chicken and turkey meant to be good for you? I’ve not been tested for food allergies or intolerances but I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with gluten so I don’t see why cutting it out would be beneficial.

I did a quick google but the stuff I found seems to say there’s no link between gluten and acne and no benefit to cutting it out if you have no intolerance to it. I tried asking the dermatologist to expand but she didn’t so I’m a bit wary of her advice but was wondering if anyone knew the logic behind this? Am I missing something?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Sounds like pseudo-science.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
"Thanks for the advice, but no"
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Sounds like pseudo-science.
Yeah I thought it sounded a bit suspect. Like the medication isn’t working how she expected so she’s coming up with random stuff just to have something else to try😂😂
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve been seeing a dermatologist acne and after having no response to treatments she told me to change my diet.

I was expecting to be told to cut out dairy as that’s what people usually suggest for acne but she’s told me to go vegetarian and gluten free and I’m a bit confused why? She just said ‘to reduce inflammation’ but aren’t good quality lean meats like chicken and turkey meant to be good for you? I’ve not been tested for food allergies or intolerances but I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with gluten so I don’t see why cutting it out would be beneficial.

I did a quick google but the stuff I found seems to say there’s no link between gluten and acne and no benefit to cutting it out if you have no intolerance to it. I tried asking the dermatologist to expand but she didn’t so I’m a bit wary of her advice but was wondering if anyone knew the logic behind this? Am I missing something?
Is this a dermatologist you are seeing based in an NHS hospital after having been referred by your GP? Or is she a 'private' dermatologist?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads